UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs Davis Discussion thread

David

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nogvsdavis.jpg

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Phil Davis

Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson

DaMarques Johnson vs. Amir Sadollah

Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung

Alex Caceres vs. Mackens Semerzier*

Jon Madsen vs. Mike Russow*

John Hathaway vs. Kris McCray*

Edwin Figueroa vs. Michael McDonald*

Sean McCorkle vs. Christian Morecraft*

Mario Miranda vs. Aaron Simpson*

Johny Hendricks vs. T.J. Waldburger*

Nik Lentz vs. Waylon Lowe*

*unaired prelim fight

This has all the makings of a good little card, with Hardy being of obvious interest to UK fans. Hopefully he pulls out a win and get's himself back on track.

Little Nog versus Davis should be good as well, along with the rematch of all rematches! Garcia against the Korean zombie! :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Really is a cracking little Fight Night card with some great matchups.

Really looking forward to Davis/Nogueira. Nog's UFC run needs a kick up the arse, I don't see Davis being the one to provide it though. Davis has a little bit of the Jones factor. A very young, atheltic specimen that surely has a bright future. I'm picking Davis in this one.

Hardy/Rumble sounds great on paper too. Hardy has concerns over Rumble making weight, lets hope he does, could be some fireworks here

Surely Garcia/Jung can't possibly live up to the hype? Especially with Jung apparently leaning towards a more conservative style now. Hopefully Garcia can drag the Zombie out of him :)

Looking forward to seeing Bruce-Leroy again, Plus we got Hathaway and Big Sexy McCorkle too... Great stuff.

• Paid Members

I've voted Davis by decision.

This is, on paper at least, probably the best Fight Night card to date. Can't go wrong with them 4 fights on the main card. Something for everyone there.

Surely Garcia/Jung can't possibly live up to the hype? Especially with Jung apparently leaning towards a more conservative style now. Hopefully Garcia can drag the Zombie out of him :)

Yeah I'm thinking that. The first one was nuts you'd think it would be a bastard to follow it. And like you say, Jung has been saying he's changing his style and was even on about dropping the 'Korean Zombie' tag so we'll have to see what happens. I've got a feeling it's gonna be a war though, I'm not getting my hopes up that it will match the first one but won't be surprised if it does.

I think Garcia's style is so wild and reckless Jung will get dragged into a brawl again.

Hardy/Rumble will be fun no doubt. There's no way that won't be entertaining. Either a brutal KO or a 3 round battle. I'm thinking Johnson will catch him and put him away in round 2 maybe but if the layoff and weight issues do come into play then maybe Hardy can make that work in his favour. I'd like to see Hardy come back strong here though, he needs this win for sure. 3 losses in a row would be a tough position to come back from.

I think Sadollah/Johnson is the obvious sleeper here. Everyone's gonna be talking about the other 3 fights and this one is probably gonna get overlooked a bit. I think it's a great style match though, I'd give Amir the advantage on the feet and DaMarques the advantage on the ground but it's a fairly even match up.

• Paid Members

I was a little disappointed at first to see Nog get paired up with another wrestler. Aside from the UFC debut vs Luiz Cane he's fought one wrestler after another. From Brilz on short notice (when he was training for Griffin), to Bader then he was gonna fight Tito, now Phil Davis. I'd like to see him get a striker or BJJ guy next for a change of style.I don't really buy that Nog's washed up. The fights with Brilz and Bader were both pretty close.

It remains to be seen if Davis can fend off Nog's BJJ game but Davis is young, explosive as fuck and has some great wrestling and slick subs of his own. His stand up needs work but he's getting there.

I'm going with Davis by decision in this one. Would be a big win for Mr Wonderful too. I dunno who to root for, I love the Nog's but Davis seems like a really good dude in all his interviews and stuff. Him and Pat Barry are 2 guys that are impossible to hate.

• Paid Members

Phil Davis quote

"I don't like to make a vendetta where there isn't one. I know Nogueira. I've trained with him. Nice guy. We're going to fight, and then I'll see him around San Diego, I'm going to shake his hand and we'll hang out. There's no need to make it more than what it is. We're doing business together. We're going to beat the crap out of each other and knock each others' screws loose, and hug after we're done and be real men and shake each others' hands, and that's it."

"Everybody you get the opportunity to train with, just train with them. So what if you have to fight them later? There's nothing about this fight, there's nothing malicious. I don't want to go out and rip his head off and hurt him or anything like that. No way. The Nogueira brothers are a class act. We're both going to make some money, hopefully get that Fight of the Night, and that's about it."

like I said, cool guy

some other quotes

Little Nog

"I was already far into my camp for Tito, but Phil's a wrestler too, so my training doesn't change too much. This is definitely a great moment in my career. It's a big step for me. This fight is just as tough as it would have been with Tito. Every fight is tough. Davis and I trained not too long ago. Very strong wrestling, very strong ground skills. I've dedicated the last year to wrestling."

Dan Hardy

"Anthony's not going to bite. He's not the kind of guy that engages in the trash talk, and also it would have just been a waste of energy. If I would have started trash talking him I'd have gotten no response and then I'd have gotten bored and I'd have wasted twenty minutes thinking of something to say. It just didn't seem like it was a worthwhile use of my energy. I've said a few things on Twitter, but that's more to help him get a few more followers because I'm storming ahead at the moment.

I have no concern at all. It makes no difference to me. You can come in at whatever weight you want. I've spent the last seven weeks dedicated to fighting him, so it makes no difference to me what weight he comes in at. If he is heavy it just means he's got more chin for me to hit. It might work out better.

Regardless of what happens [at the weigh-ins], it's not my concern what weight he comes in at

• Paid Members

can't help but think we're gonna see another example of the 'new school' taking care of the 'old school' here...i just think Davis is gonna be too strong for Nogueira. I just can't find myself picking the old guys to win these fights. I would love to see Nogueira pull it off though.

Great card though, i definately need to avoid the undercard and get hold of them fights as well, some great fights on this card.

Johnson/Hardy is gonna be intense, but im picking Johnson by KO. I'd love to see Hardy win so he could get into another high profile card and start talking shit, but i think Johnson will catch him.

I'm going with Davis as well, I think he'll cruise to a decision. Davis has looked great so I hope he can carry on his roll. I think Johnson will KO Hardy. You never know how a fighter will perform after a lay off but I like Johnson in this fight, could be a cracking fight.

Alex Caceres vs. Mackens Semerzier, Jon Madsen vs. Mike Russow are getting the Facebook treatment.

Sean McCorkle vs Christian Morecraft, John Hathaway vs Chris McCray and Michael McDonald vs Edwin Figueroa have been added also.

• Paid Members
Alex Caceres vs. Mackens Semerzier, Jon Madsen vs. Mike Russow are getting the Facebook treatment.

Sean McCorkle vs Christina Morecraft, John Hathaway vs Chris McCray and Michael McDonald vs Edwin Figueroa have been added also.

Joe Silva obviously doesn't rate Big Sexy :)

5 Facebooks fights... Damn

Archived