UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs Davis Discussion thread

David

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick Summary

Facebook Fights

Really good to see Morecraft make McCorkle look like a bitch but when the ref just let McCorkle sit in the corner for 2 mins after claiming he still needed to recover from the nut shot was stupid

McDonald vs Figueroa was amazing and both guys could be the future of the division with that performance

Hathaway won a close fight but it wasn't anything spectacular

Watching Bruce Leroy getting submitted just proves he shouldn't be in the UFC

Madsen Russow was boring and a really odd finish as the eye didn't look that bad

Main Card

Garcia vs Korean Zombie wasn't was good as it thought it would be but the Twister submission was amazing, i could certainly see a third fight in the future

Sadollah put on a great performance with and awesome finish he really does keep getting better

Hardy Johnson just pissed me off after all the hype of one of them is going to get knocked out and it will be a great standup war then johnson keeps going for the takedowns. I think hardy will probably need to lose one more fight before they kick him out of the UFC

Davis really didn't impress as much as he needed to in the main and all this talk of him being a contender to jones has just gone out the window.

Overall it was good show but it didn't live up to its full potential

Hardy's had some very very hard fights - GSP, Condit and Rumble on the bounce should mean he can probably have a bit of a home banker next up to get back in the W column as he's way more marketable than a lot of other Brits theyve ever had.

My accumulators were dashed by Jon Madsen and Leonard Garcia. I'm pretty bitter!

Pretty dissapointing show I felt.

Hardy again fell victim to a wrestler. People are wise to his act now and aren't willing to trade punches with a man who is one of the best strikers in the WW division. Whilst Hardy may be hard to submit guys can easily pin him down for 3 rounds.

Phil Davis fought like he wants to be the next Jon Fitch. Quite happy to sit in the guard of Lil Nog and not try and finish the fight. Nog despite the age/height difference was able to land the cleaner strikes on Davis I thought.

Congrats to the Korean Zombie, last time I seen a twister was on The Human Weapon show! impressive :)

Hardy's had some very very hard fights - GSP, Condit and Rumble on the bounce should mean he can probably have a bit of a home banker next up to get back in the W column as he's way more marketable than a lot of other Brits theyve ever had.

No-one was saying that before the fight! I was pretty much on my own in here saying how Condit was for real, and with the exception of GSP, would be the toughest guy Hardy has ever faced, and how this was a much tougher opponent than the fighters he beat to earn a title shot. The common concensus on this board was that Hardy was going to stroll through him, and probably knock him out. Johnson is also not a top level welterweight, and the truth is that Hardy is overrated and overhyped and nowhere near the upper echelons of the division. That being said, I still don't see him being cut just yet.

No-one was saying that before the fight! I was pretty much on my own in here saying how Condit was for real, and with the exception of GSP, would be the toughest guy Hardy has ever faced, and how this was a much tougher opponent than the fighters he beat to earn a title shot. The common concensus on this board was that Hardy was going to stroll through him, and probably knock him out. Johnson is also not a top level welterweight, and the truth is that Hardy is overrated and overhyped and nowhere near the upper echelons of the division. That being said, I still don't see him being cut just yet.

Hardy is one of my favourite fighters but when you look at his record he hasn't beaten anyone of note. He got a title fight he didn't deserve after beating Davis and Swick by decision.

It's been confirmed that he won't be cut. I would imagine he will get a fight on the next UK card but if he loses that he will be gone.

Hardy is one of my favourite fighters but when you look at his record he hasn't beaten anyone of note. He got a title fight he didn't deserve after beating Davis and Swick by decision.

It's been confirmed that he won't be cut. I would imagine he will get a fight on the next UK card but if he loses that he will be gone.

Hardy isn't ever going to be a real contender at welterweight, but the UFC should be smart enough to realise that he's an excellent guy to throw onto a UK card if they match him up properly.

I was quite unimpressed by both Davis & Johnson last night. People talk about Jon Fitch being boring, but he at least roughs up his opponents in their guard and looks to improve his position. Neither of those guys looked impressive last night.

Saying that, I'm a bit sick of hearing about the famous Nogueira brothers and their BJJ ability. Little Nog looked nowhere near troubling Davis on the ground last night.

Also, we surely have to see a rubber match between Garcia and the zombie!

Saying that, I'm a bit sick of hearing about the famous Nogueira brothers and their BJJ ability. Little Nog looked nowhere near troubling Davis on the ground last night.

He looked nowhere near locking in anything at all. His guard was pretty poor. I expected better off his back.

• Paid Members

some thoughts on the televised portion (im waiting to get hold of the prelims, and im avoiding results so i aint read the rest of this thread):

* Garcia/Zombie II was decent, both guys tried to fight a more technical fight and that in my opinion was Garcia's downfall. Leonard Garcia is a brawler, end of. Jung was just one step ahead of him on the feet and he was schooling Garcia on the floor...It sucks for Leonard because he's probably made the decision to be a little more technical based on critisicm he's had over his brawling style, but it didn't work for him here. Outstanding submission though :) i remember looking up the twister because i kept hearing about it on message boards, painful looking hold.

* Johnson/Sadollah was the best fight on the televised portion. Good little scrap, but it seemed Sadollah's pressure wore down Johnson and it counted in the second round. Sadollah's a fun fighter to watch, be interested to see who they match him up with next. I'd like to see him fight a good striker...i would say Dan Hardy but that highly unlikely right now.

* Hardy/Johnson...well, i guess my doubt over Hardy's abilities were confirmed last night. It's always sad when you realise that a fighters gameplan seem to be in hoping that his opponent runs out of gas, Hardy's corner kinda confirmed that they were hoping Johnson would gas so he could come on strong later in the fight, didn't happen. Hardy didn't show that he's improved in anyway since the GSP fight, he was taken down too easily and once on his back, he just couldn't get back up. People were booing Johnson out of the building but it was a smart performance. All the build up led everyone in to thinking that they were both gonna stand and trade, Hardy clearly assumed that to be the case and he wasn't ready for Johnson's takedowns. God knows what happens with Hardy now, he's lost 3 on the bounce, dominated in 2 and ko'd in the other. I think his popularity will get him 1 more chance, but he's gotta count himself lucky if he does.

* Davis/Nogueira...NOOOOOOOOO!!! this was the official nail in the coffin of the old guys for me :( the end of an era. A new day has dawned in MMA and im sad to see the old one go. As for the fight, it was ok Phil Davis clearly isn't near to being the finished article and for a single round i had high hopes for Nog, he was stopping the takedowns and landing the more effective punches. It was just as soon as Davis scored a takedown you knew it was game over, Davis was too strong and too submission savvy to be caught with anything, it just turned into a mauling. Nog didn't take much damage but he was outpowered by the younger more athletic guy...as he was when he faced Bader. Dunno where lil Nog goes now, there's still plenty of fights for him but his days as a contender are over. Phil Davis next fight will be interesting though, he's cleary got skills but he was not convincing last night, he didn't come off as the world beater people hype him as, neither did he look like a guy who should be challenging Jon Jones anytime soon.

• Paid Members

ahem...I had Condit beating Hardy too :p well originally I was leaning towards a Hardy decision but changed my mind. Never expected a one punch KO finish though.

I too am thinking Hardy has been massively overrated myself. I think a lot of it is down to his personality, he promotes himself well and kinda fools people into believing he's at the top level. If you look at his UFC career

Gono was a very close decision (some say Gono was robbed)

Markham KO

Davis close decision

Swick decision

Then he got molested by GSP for 5 rounds, twatted out cold by Condit in round 1 and dominated by Johnson.

I think he's actually a decent fighter but he's clearly not at that top level, which is a shame really cause he's got everything else - marketable look, good at hyping fights and stuff that a headlining UFC fighter needs. He's just got that huge hole in his game and people just know how to beat him.

Where he goes next fuck knows. There's talk of him possibly going to Strikeforce which could be a good move for him as it's not so wrestler heavy at 170 there and fights with Diaz, Cyborg, Zaromskis and Scott Smith would all be fun.

• Paid Members

Few thoughts on the show

Davis vs Nogueira wasn't that good. Davis was a bit boring but it's worth remembering he's still a rookie at this point and the fact he was able to go in there with a big name veteran and come back from a rocky first round to win fairly comfortably shows he's got something imo.

I don't think the comparisons to Jones are fair or accurate. Their styles are nothing alike, the only thing they have in common is they're both black MMA fighters :) I've read a fair bit of negativity online for Davis' performance but I don't think you can expect every prospect to just blast through people like Jones/Cain did.

I thought overall it was a solid performance albeit not very exciting. The jury's out still and we'll see how he improves over his next few fights.

I was rooting for Nog and thought he won the first round pretty clearly, shame it went tits up. I'm really hoping we get Shogun vs Little Nog 2 now. Why not?

Hardy vs Johnson was frustrating to watch. This was the big disappointment of the show cause everyone had such high hopes going in. Not a great fight but Johnson took the smartest, easiest root to victory, can't really blame him but I was disappointed.

Sadollah vs DaMarques was really good. I really enjoyed that one and it was pretty much the forgotten fight on the card and ended up being a better fight than the other 3 that got all the attention going in. Amir looked good, I though that was one of his best showings yet. Johnson had his moments though and he took it on short notice, I'd be interested to see how he'd have done with a full training camp. Good fight.

Garcia vs Jung 2 was obviously a much different fight. I think Garcia will go back to his wild ways in future. I understand him trying to be more technical but you can tell it's not natural for him to fight like that, he likes to go balls out swinging haymakers and more often than not it works for him.

Jung did a very good job, he won the fight fairly easily really, controlled the stand up and the ground. That twister was an awesome finish. Sub of the year there surely (although Bellator had its own contender the same night).

Decent night of fights overall. McDonald vs Figueroa was well deserving of FOTN, excellent fight that was. All the more impressive with Figueroa taking it on short notice. Wish it would've made the air but I'm sure they've secured themselves televised spots for next time out with that fight.

Archived