UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs Davis Discussion thread

David

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really loving this UFC on facebook thing as it makes the shows much easier to watch if they start a watching around midnight its much easier to keep awake till the main show.

As far as this card goes it looks amazing as the garcia korean zomibie fight should be amazing then hardy and sadollah who i rather like watching. Although Davis vs Little Nog seems very much like a less important version of last weeks event.

Also i just realised that Bruce Leeroy is on the facebook fights which should be entertaining

• Paid Members

Leonard Garcia

"I get a lot of talk about how I'm willing to go out there and brawl. The fans like it, the UFC likes it, but then everybody in the gym says, hey, when you're technical and you do things correctly, it's hard to stop you. But when we go out for the rules meeting and Dana White is talking about the Fight of the Night bonus, he stares right at me. I mean, right at me. And all the guys in the room, you can see them, they're like, man, Leonard's on the card. He's going to go get that bonus. So it is a double-edged sword.

Not being safe, not being careful, going out there and getting after it, all that gets you fans and stuff. It can also get you cut from the UFC. I weigh these things out in my head all the time and then I go out there and when it's time to fight, I just get in a certain mindframe and it's time to go. I kind of don't have a choice. Once a guy hits me, the other Leonard comes out. I just need to learn to control that a little bit more.

That's the pressure you deal with. But at the end of the day, you have to progress as a fighter, or else you just get left behind. Going in there and giving the fans a show is what I've always been about, and they know I can do that. This time around though, I want to showcase my talents, not just my will to fight."

Chan Sung Jung

"We're bonded by blood and sweat. There's no other way to put it. We had such a great fight together. Thirty years from now I'll have grandkids and I'll be able to put that fight on and say, 'Look at what me and this guy did.' ...But it is different to go in there and fight a guy you have this mutual respect for. Going up against a guy you already have this bond with, it's a crazy feeling.

I had to put that out of my memory already. The first few days after I took [the fight] I was thinking, how are we ever going to live up the memory of the first one? What are we going to do differently in this fight that overshadows that one? Then I started thinking about it, and you know, I've improved since the first one. In the beginning, 80 percent of me wanted to go back and do the exact same thing as we did before just to give the people a show, and the other 20 percent wanted to show people how much better I've gotten since then."

Really interested to see how they approach this second fight and what changes they make if any. No matter what they both say about fighting more smartly I think once they get in there and the first punch is landed it's gonna get crazy like the first fight.

• Paid Members

I'd agree.

if he beats little Nog, I can see a match with Maybe Griffin. After that take your pick from Rampage, Machida, Randy (Possibly Vera and Silva). If he wins those fights, he's got to be in and around a title shot. Obviously it depends as well on how the other top guys at LHW do in their fights.

I'd love to see Jones/Davis down the road.

• Paid Members

Everyone made weight.

Pic of Garcia from the weighins. He came out with a zombie head piece!

197245_10150120620471925_502481924_6676242_1109553_n.jpg

:D

MAIN CARD (Spike TV)

•Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (206) vs. Phil Davis (206)

•Dan Hardy (171) vs. Anthony Johnson (171)

•DaMarques Johnson (171) vs. Amir Sadollah (170)

•Leonard Garcia (145) vs. Chan Sung Jung (146)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

•Jon Madsen (261) vs. Mike Russow (256)

•Alex Caceres (146) vs. Mackens Semerzier (146)

•John Hathaway (171) vs. Kris McCray (170)

•Edwin Figueroa (136) vs. Michael McDonald (135)

•Sean McCorkle (266) vs. Christian Morecraft (265)

PRELIMINARY CARD

•Johny Hendricks (170) vs. T.J. Waldburger (170)

•Mario Miranda (185) vs. Aaron Simpson (185)

•Nik Lentz (155) vs. Waylon Lowe (156)

• Paid Members

i think the UFC is hoping they can build some kind of superfight with the Jones/Davis eventually, but Davis needs to win a few more first...you can already see how they'll sell it. Jones has destroyed all the old dudes so in comes this young superstar kinda similar to himself. The press Davis has gotten this week based off Jones winning already tells you that that's what everyone is eventually hoping to see.

I like Davis too, but the old fan in me wants to see Nogueira win tonight.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think a Jones/Davis fight is a bit of a way off yet. Davis is probably about where Jones was in the Hamill fight where he's had some good showings but he's stepping up in comp. Jones is obviously already at the top of the heap now so Davis still has a lot to do.

I'd like to see Nog win too to be honest. I really like Davis but a loss here would hurt Nog more than Davis I think. That would be 2 losses on the trot (would be 3 without the off judging against Brilz). He'll be on shaky ground with another loss.

I'll probably regret this like fuck in a few months if Rashad decisons Jones...but I honestly think Davis has the best chance of anyone of unseating Bones right now. And I think the first stop on the way to that fight is Little Nog getting tooled.

• Paid Members

Predictions

Main card

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Phil Davis

Like I said I'd like to see Nog back to winning ways but he's been struggling with wrestlers lately and Davis is a more accomplished wrestler than Bader or Brilz. Nog's got a big advantage in the stand up but I can't see him being able to keep it there long enough to inflict significant damage. I'm going with the consensus here.

Mr Wonderful by decision

Dan Hardy vs Anthony Johnson

Hardy's coming off his first KO loss, we don't know if it will have affected his game. Johnson hasn't fought for ages and has had injury and weight issues, although it's good to see he's come in on weight for this one.

Aside from all that. If you assume they're both coming in at their best Johnson should have this. He's bigger, stronger, more powerful and has his wrestling background to fall back on if need be.

Hardy's often talked about as some big striker but really I've never thought he was some massive puncher, Johnson to me deffo has the power advantage. Speed is probably pretty even. It will be interesting to see how Hardy bounces back from his last fight.

Although I would favour Hardy over a longer fight I can't see him avoiding the bomb for long. He gets dragged into brawls and although he's a good striker he gets hit a lot. If that happens here it could be a short fight.

I'm going with Rumble by KO/TKO in round 2

Amir Sadollah vs DaMarques Johnson

This is pretty much a toss up to me. Neither guy's massively experienced. Amir's the better striker, I'd give DaMarques the edge on the ground. Fuck knows? Should be a good fight either way, neither guy is usually in boring fights.

Tough fight to call. Fuck it I'm going for the underdog bonus on MMAPlayground so

DaMarques Johnson by decision

Leonard Garcia vs Chan Sung Jung

Who knows what will happen here...can't wait to see it. I'm guessing the general feeling will be Jung should've won the first fight so he should win the rematch. I'm not sure about that. Jung's coming off a bad KO loss and talking about a change in style. He could be a bit weary of getting into another war. On the other hand he could come in determined to prove he should've won the last fight and make a statement.

Gonna go with Garcia by decision

Really looking forward to this card and the 5 fights on facebook :thumbsup:

Archived