Raw discussion 14/03/2011

Shit Poster

With a good heel you want to watch on and see the face beat the shit out of them, or maybe you just enjoy their antics. But with Vickie I don't enjoy watching her, nor am I interested in watching on to see somebody get one over on her. I just want her off TV as soon as possible. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I don't see what she really adds to the show.

Yeah, that's one of the things with me, too - there's no way to satisfyingly pay off an angle involving her because she's in no shape to take proper bumps, and the WWE wouldn't book it in 2011 anyway. Probably the closest we came to a payoff was when Edge dumped her and called her a fat pig and all that, which was just weird and uncomfortable to watch (much as I don't find her entertaining, she's somebody's mam and bullying a frumpy middle-aged woman isn't exactly textbook babyface behaviour).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edge was still a heel when he did that to Vickie in 2009 albeit one who seemed to be set for a face turn (presuming that's where the team with Jericho would have led). He'd lost the World Title to Hardy but he didn't actually switch sides until after he came back from his injury so he wasn't supposed to be a good guy. That said, I found it uncomfortable as well.

I think Eric Bischoff is right in that WWE overuse humiliation. I know people pointed it out during the DX/McMahons feud where they thought DX took it so far that they came across as worse bullies than the heels ever were and there are a number of times I've actually started to feel sorry for the heels over the past decade where I've actually ended up feeling sorry for the bad guys after they've been humiliated one too many times. :(

Surely even kids can tell just from two or three times of watching The Rock do promos how much more charismatic he is than today's lot? I remember not caring about Bob Backlund as a kid, but then he really was a throwback - pasty, ginger, shit generic trunks, and no flashy moves or great mic skills to make him stand out. With all the gimmicks, colourful costumes and finishing moves, wrestling had moved on a lot since Backlund's day, but you can't say the same about the WWE's development since The Rock's heyday - if anything, it's regressed. Even if they weren't familiar with his films, they'd only have to see the way he deals with a live crowd to see why he's a big deal.

Probably, although if anyone has children who watch rasslin' I'd actually be interested to hear what the kids think of Rock/Austin. Point taken: there is the world of difference between Rock and Bob Backlund. Can't really think of an example of someone from that era coming back who would be a good comparison for Rock (Graham would work better but even then I'm not sure and it doesn't work because he was still around as a non-wrestling figure during some of that 'era').

I also agree there is also a world of difference between how much wrestling changed from 1984 to 1992 and how much it has changed in the past decade, as I've said myself many times. I'd imagine that for kids who haven't seen him it doesn't take much to see why Rock was a big star even if they've never seen him wrestle/act but if there are some who don't respond to him/Austin as loudly as might be expected/don't really care about them then I do think that's the reason why (not really knowing who they are/just knowing them as a 'name' who was a big deal before their time).

They've got guys like Cena, Orton, Mysterio, Edge, Undertaker and until recently Batista as their heroes, they probably can see why Rock was a big deal but I'd guess at least some of them fall into the category Super Cena and King Pitcos were talking about of kids who don't really care about the past to actually watch his/Austin's work and as such don't have the same relationship with them as they do with their 'generation'.

Taken from The Rocks twitter

Get ready CHICAGO...The Rock is Bringin' It and we're "Puttin' Our Boots to Candy Asses" LIVE on RAW and ELECTRIFYIN... http://say.ly/qwlc9K

less than 20 seconds ago via Who Say

Looks like The Rock could turn up on RAW live this week then

Nargh, it's the following Monday. "As he revealed on Twitter, The Rock will be apearing LIVE on Raw in Chicago next Monday, March 28. Will John Cena and WWE Champion The Miz smell what the WrestleMania XXVII Host is cookin' just six days before The Show of Shows?" From WWE.com's homepage.

Very misleading though.

Taken from The Rocks twitter

Get ready CHICAGO...The Rock is Bringin' It and we're "Puttin' Our Boots to Candy Asses" LIVE on RAW and ELECTRIFYIN... http://say.ly/qwlc9K

less than 20 seconds ago via Who Say

Looks like The Rock could turn up on RAW live this week then

Nargh, it's the following Monday. "As he revealed on Twitter, The Rock will be apearing LIVE on Raw in Chicago next Monday, March 28. Will John Cena and WWE Champion The Miz smell what the WrestleMania XXVII Host is cookin' just six days before The Show of Shows?" From WWE.com's homepage.

Very misleading though.

Whoops thanks for straightening that out, could be a great go home show

Well they have been taking a week about, so this week would be Cena's response. Then the go home show with both in the ring live and cut it just a second before anything kicks off. It's almost perfect wrestling TV booking.

I can see the 28th Raw running overtime again just like on Rock's first night back. The Miz will have eaten an Attitude Adjuster and/or Rock Bottom, and the show will close with a Rock and Cena stare-down with the Wrestlemania logo up there in the background. I don't know what follows Raw in the States, but I'm guessing that it's a fairly highly viewed programme and the usual viewers will tune in to see whatever programme it is they usually watch only to see a Rock and Cena confrontation with the 'Mania logo in the background and the announcers selling the show like it's going out of fashion. A cheeky way for them to get an extra few buys.

I can see the 28th Raw running overtime again just like on Rock's first night back. The Miz will have eaten an Attitude Adjuster and/or Rock Bottom, and the show will close with a Rock and Cena stare-down with the Wrestlemania logo up there in the background. I don't know what follows Raw in the States, but I'm guessing that it's a fairly highly viewed programme and the usual viewers will tune in to see whatever programme it is they usually watch only to see a Rock and Cena confrontation with the 'Mania logo in the background and the announcers selling the show like it's going out of fashion. A cheeky way for them to get an extra few buys.

An old episode of Law & Order from 1999 follows Raw on the 28th, it would be easy for Raw to over-run, but I'd doubt that show gets many viewers. It would be people tuning out of whatever they were watching instead of Raw's usual 2 hours, who are flicking through after their show finishes at 11, to find nothing on except The Rock and John Cena, and stick around.

JR's overselling of the AnkCole Lock was as joyous and slightly unsettling as ever this week. It's so weird to see the guy literally screaming in pain.

• Paid Members
JR's overselling of the AnkCole Lock was as joyous and slightly unsettling as ever this week. It's so weird to see the guy literally screaming in pain.

Reports are that he wasn't selling; Jack Swagger had fucked his leg up seconds earlier.

My bad. What a twit. How rough do you really need to handle a non worker in order to make a fucking ankle lock look legit? Then again this is all from Twitter is it not? Don't you think it might just be a work to add fuel to the fire?

• Paid Members

In this day and age a lot of stuff you read on Twitter is bollocks. I really doubt Jack Swagger would be getting pushed the next night on Smackdown if he fucked JR up the night before doing his finishing move.

• Paid Members
My bad. What a twit. How rough do you really need to handle a non worker in order to make a fucking ankle lock look legit? Then again this is all from Twitter is it not? Don't you think it might just be a work to add fuel to the fire?

Well it was reported on F4W at the time and then followed up on by saying it was strained ligaments in his leg and knee. More than likely JR deflected the blame, seeing as Swagger is his boy and all.

Archived