Raw discussion 14/03/2011

Shit Poster

I'm pretty sure that by saying "International superstar from Mexico who wears a mask and does flips and shit", he was meaning "Luchadore" in a roundabout way. That's what Sin Cara is. From a couple of vignettes, we already know that this is his gimmick, a Mysterio-esque mask wearing, lucha star who had success in Mexico and he's bringing his unique style (aside from Rey's) to WWE.

I personally feel as though when I have caught TNA I struggle to keep up with a performer's character from one week to the next and like I said before, aside from former WWE wrestlers who have kept their acts pretty much the same, it's difficult to try and some up a lot of the performer's characters in words and know what they're about.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aside from former WWE wrestlers, a quick look at their roster page and other than a select few I'd struggle to describe in a few sentences what their characters were, the sane way you can do with WWE wrestlers. Nearly every well defined character in the company is a gimmick which was created somewhere else, usually while the wrestler was in WWE.

The only thing Vince Russo is actually praised for is the fact he makes everyone on his roster have a character. The Attitude era is a prime example of this. Whether you think its a good character or not is another question, but Russo has always invested time into everyones character whether it was in the WWF, WCW or TNA. His problem is most of these characters are completely mental and dont highlight the stregnths of the person portraying the character, but the one thing you cant knock TNA for is the characters backstories. You have a fat Bully who likes to push people around, a bent televangelist, a Samoan Submission Machine, Four suit-wearing and well respected TNA originals, a pair of arrogant pricks from the Jersey Shore, a Mexican who dislikes "gringos" and all-sorts. Even jobbers like Eric Young and Orlando Jordan have gimmicks and all of the women have a gimmick. There's more characters in TNA than you can shake a stick at.

Perhaps things have changed a fair bit since I last watched it. I know this is going back a fair old while, but I struggled to keep up with whether AJ Styles was a high-flying babyface or a goofy Flair follower when I did catch it. Somoa Joe was a no-nonesence Samoan ass-kicker, and the next he was brandishing a knife and wearing mental pants and face paint. The tag division forever had me confused if I'd gone more than a week or two without seeing an episode of Impact with the amount of swerves and turns that were going down.

• Paid Members
I'm pretty sure that by saying "International superstar from Mexico who wears a mask and does flips and shit", he was meaning "Luchadore" in a roundabout way. That's what Sin Cara is. From a couple of vignettes, we already know that this is his gimmick, a Mysterio-esque mask wearing, lucha star who had success in Mexico and he's bringing his unique style (aside from Rey's) to WWE.

That isnt a gimmick or a character though. Being a luchadore isnt a gimmick. There's been thousands of them You could have stuck a picture up of him and knew he wore a mask and he was a luchadore. Thats not exactly a back story. We knew Silver King was a luchadore when he was doing jobs in WCW, but thats all we knew about him. Rey Mysterio is/was far more than a bloke in a mask doing flips. The fans have been big into him since he first arrived. Theres only so long you can watch all his fancy moves. The fans need to buy into him.

That isnt a gimmick or a character though. Being a luchadore isnt a gimmick. There's been thousands of them You could have stuck a picture up of him and knew he wore a mask and he was a luchadore. Thats not exactly a back story. We knew Silver King was a luchadore when he was doing jobs in WCW, but thats all we knew about him. Rey Mysterio is/was far more than a bloke in a mask doing flips. The fans have been big into him since he first arrived.

I very much understand where you're coming from; I just believe that from the little that we've seen of him, WWE have done a good job of building him up for his debut without actually having to do very much. You only have to look at some of the discussion on this board to see how hyped people are to see him, and I don't think that's completely to do with what they've seen of him before.

I probably over-exaggerated it when I first wrote that we know more about him than we do about most of the TNA roster, I was just getting at how keeping things simple can sometimes be the best way.

Raw ran way over didn't it? Blimey.

Good show, Michael Cole once again the MVP of the show. Highlight being his dancing to Brian Christophers music.

LeCool and Ziggler V Snookie, Morrison and Trish should be a bit of fun. No more Diva involvement is needed now at WrestleMania thank you.

Raw ran way over didn't it? Blimey.

Good show, Michael Cole once again the MVP of the show. Highlight being his dancing to Brian Christophers music.

LeCool and Ziggler V Snookie, Morrison and Trish should be a bit of fun. No more Diva involvement is needed now at WrestleMania thank you.

I thought as much, though I watch it on You Tube so it's obviously edited down/no ad breaks etc so I wasn't too sure.

Has anyone else's Sky+ buggered this up for them? I woke up early to watch this before work but my series link seems to have cancelled itself - last night's Raw hasn't recorded, and next week's hasn't added itself to the planner. I'm sure it was set to record when I went to bed last night though. Arses.

I checked mine before I went to bed, and, the series link had cancelled itself, and there was no recording set for that night. Thankfully managed to re-set it. But dunno why it was cancelled.

I forgot to check mine. Woke up to find that Raw hasn't recorded but next weeks IS on the planner. Bloody thing.

Add me to the list of disappointed and disgruntled - a sure sign WWE is red hot when I'm fucking gutted that I haven't seen Raw on a Tuesday morning before work. I'll have to watch it tonight too, I caved and read the spoilers and it all sounds brilliant.

Has Cena actually mentioned the WWE Title yet? I know titles don't mean as much, but fucking hell, we're just over 2 weeks away from WrestleMania, and i've not heard Cena say once that he wants to win the WWE Title and all that, he's heading into the main event, title on the line, it should mean everything, yet if you just followed Cena's promos you wouldnt even know the match is for the WWE Championship. Annoying.

Enjoyable RAW again though, can't wait till The Rock shows up, i'd expect it to be the last RAW before WrestleMania like.

Has Cena actually mentioned the WWE Title yet? I know titles don't mean as much, but fucking hell, we're just over 2 weeks away from WrestleMania, and i've not heard Cena say once that he wants to win the WWE Title and all that, he's heading into the main event, title on the line, it should mean everything, yet if you just followed Cena's promos you wouldnt even know the match is for the WWE Championship. Annoying.

Enjoyable RAW again though, can't wait till The Rock shows up, i'd expect it to be the last RAW before WrestleMania like.

I haven't actually noticed, I'll have a listen out next week. TBF, I can't actually remember him mentioning it though.

Thankfully they're not completely disregarding the WWE title as The Miz is giving it enough attention but you're right, it should be getting mentioned by Cena.

Yet another quality show from Raw. Is that 3/4 on the bounce, maybe 3?

Several points. Michael Cole for me the star of the show, although The Miz did his utmost to steal the spotlight at the end of the night. On the subject of endings, due to daylight savings in the US, Raw started at 1am UK time. I purposly now record the programme following the live Raw on Sky Spts. I was proved again that the time elapsed and the main event cut short by a few minutes. Thank god once again to teleshopping at 4.15. As for people on here mentioning non recordings on Sky planner, I've had this done only a few times to me. Can't think why and the following week's episode has still appeared on my planner thereafter.

The opening was really good once again. Not sure what fans want to see The Rock do specifically to spark a reaction for the world to hear about, but I'm more than happy with what we're seeing right now. Not by a long shot has this story peaked with Cena and The Rock. The fact that the writers are putting Miz right in the picture and giving him excellent material to work with has kept me watching.

Seamus defeating Daniel Bryan had no other ending other than the belt changing hands or really cementing that Seamus is really being held back. If these two can develop some form of dialogue to arouse interest for the US Title at WM, I can only see this being the opening match on the card.

You had to laugh at the box which Cole was sat in as the show opened. From then on, regardless of him moving around at his own free will, he was absolute dynamite viewing once again. For what Brian Christopher showed (forget his dancing), I thought he did alright for a big moment. He must have been nervous as shit so he deserves a pat on the back for his efforts.

It's true I think. Cena hasn't mentioned the title at all. There must be a purpose to all this. If Miz does get the nod then I can only see Cena mention it the following night in some capacity.

Was no UT and Triple H live to be expected?

Orton/Punk ticking over nicely.

Disappointed in seeing Dolph and Johm Morrison mixed in with Michelle/Layla and Vickie and CO. It a one on one match everyone would like to see but you just know these two could steal the spotlight early on at Mania. Now we wouldn't want that overshadowing Lawler and Cole now would we!

Thoughts on Drew Carey being inducted? Is that how Carey looks now from the HOF ending? He's lost a lot of weight if thats the case. Like watching him on Who's line is it anyway. The Carey/Proops/Styles/Mochrie combination always worked for me!

I am a bit worried that now Bryan has lost the US Title he'll get forgotten about. It's been going on for a few weeks now. Hopefully he'll have a rematch with Sheamus at Mania that will get a decent time, every match they've had has been pretty good.

Another absolutely phenomenal Raw, about the 200th in a row or something like that. And I know people will think I'm trying to make an over-the-top anti-smark remark here, but ignoring the Jersey Shore guff and the non-issue between Morrison and Ziggler, I'm really buzzed about LayCool and Trish getting to head off against one another on the big stage. I consider it a Divas dream match really, they're the two strongest and most over acts the division has ever produced, and I genuinely consider this the Rock/Cena of girl world.

The Michael Cole segment, from start to finish, was absolutely world class. I know the crowd didn't care much for Sexay, but I did, and I felt his delivery of the believable family grief stuff was excellent. JR's return was superb, and it's given Steve Austin a reason to be good and pissed off for the super happy ending at Wrestlemania when the baddies all get what's coming to them. I thought the Cole Mine was a nice nod to the "JR is Raw" announce table too, the two finest moments in commentary megalomania.

Don't think I can add more to the praise heaped on the fine work by the writers and talent in the form of The Miz' march to Mania. They've played a blinder here, allowing us all a couple of weeks to get a bit worked up that he was getting ignored, only to factor that perfectly into his character's motivation for unleashing some right shitkickings lately. There's hundreds of other examples of them doing it these days, but the nuances are clearly being paid attention to again, and it's paying off from top to bottom on Raw and Smackdown.

Wrestling is ace right now.

Does Bryan use the "proper" version of Ride of the Valkyries now?

That might seem like a stupid question but it always seemed to be a stock version, or sped up etc, but this week sounded like it was the more familiar version? Or has it been like that for a while?

It's like Flair having a fake 2001 entrance, then having the more well-known one?

Not sure if this makes any sense at all :laugh:

Undercover Elephant, El Nicko and NEWM sum up my thoughts on this week's Raw perfectly.

NEWM, I agree that things have been top drawer for quite some time now. It's been a truly solid start to the year for WWE, putting out some superb TV and a couple of awesome pay-per-views.

Archived