Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

After seeing him last night and my Auntie recommending it (with caution), I watched Will Young:  Losing My Twin Rupert earlier today. It’s knocked me.

Heads-up, it’s harrowing. His brother took his own life having lived with alcoholism, depression and anxiety for most of his life. Please don’t watch it if this could be a trigger, but fuck me it’s utterly heart-wrenching. 

If you’re okay with the content - or okay as much as you can be - it’s worth watching to see how an addiction can impact siblings and parents. Having seen both sides of this coin - the addict and the sibling - it’s given me an eye-opener on what my parents could have experienced had I not sorted myself out. I still struggle at times but bloody hell, this has given me a massive kick up the arse to nip those remnants of my old life in the bud. I can’t and won’t do that to the folks. The depression will never go away, but I think I’ll honestly use this documentary as a motivator to never go back to the old ways, or at least try very hard to make sure I don’t.

You can tell throughout that Young is putting a brave face on it - even trying to be flippant at times - but ultimately, it’s completely broken him. It’s a recommended watch but not a pleasant one.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Members

Daughters (Netflix)

This is a documentary about the "Date with Dad" programme, which allows inmates have an opportunity to see their children for a dance in prison, through a 10 week course.

As you can imagine it's an emotional roller coaster as they follow both the inmates and the kids, and no matter how emotionally prepared for the actual dance you think you are, when the kids come in and see their Dads...it's a lot to take in.

Wonderful documentary.