A dilemma which I'm struggling to decide upon!

Sym

So, I'm going to be a dad soon, which I'm really excited about! I have also been a Cardiff City season ticket holder for a while now, which is due for renewal before the end of the month! I'm struggling to make a decision, on the one hand I want to spend as much time with the baby as possible but am also aware of the need for some time out in order to enjoy myself! I also have in the back of my mind that if I give up my season ticket I could be giving up the rare chance of seeing the team I love in the premiership, should we make it!

So, I guess what I'm wondering from the fathers here, is what would you do in that situation? Is it important to maintain time doing something you enjoy even if it doesn't involve the new child? My wife is happy whichever way I go but I just want to weigh up some other points of view!

• Paid Members

I've been a father for over a year now, and I love my football. But to be honest, I would pass up my season ticket- as agonising as it would be not seeing your team team in the Premier League for the first time. There's a good chance you will see them in the Premiership in your lifetime, however your childs' early years are absolutely priceless. The first year or so is the time when you need to spend as much time as possible- as they are more dependent at that age- plus your missus will need you around as much as possible (even if she says otherwise). At the moment, I've slowed down my career (sticking to strict 9-5 hours rather than pursuing a big job in London) just so I can make the most of spending time with my little'un as much as possible. I have plenty of years to go for that big city job, but my child won't be young for long.

I agree, you do need some 'me time'- but a season ticket might be a bit too much me time, especially during your first year as a father. You never get these years back, and you know when people say 'they grow up so fast', fuck me they're right. Cherish it mate. And all the best :thumbsup:

Isn't that what all season tickets are? :confused:

Cheers for all the input so far guys! It's definitely got me thinking! I do like the name exclamation mark by the way but think I might keep with my original idea of naming it Mr Seven after my favourite ever poster! :love:

• Paid Members
Isn't that what all season tickets are? :confused:

Cheers for all the input so far guys! It's definitely got me thinking! I do like the name exclamation mark by the way but think I might keep with my original idea of naming it Mr Seven after my favourite ever poster! :love:

I thought you could get ones which include home and away games, my mistake.

As someone in a similar position I too have been having the same dilemma (with the ever so small difference that I'm a Tiverton Town season ticket holder and we'll be lucky to stay in the Southern Premier League!)

98% of me says give up the football and spend time with the little one but another 1% is saying its only a couple of hours 20 times a year and I'll need some time away (for the mathematicians out there the other 1% says take them with me)

The other difference of course is that I can just go on an ad hoc basis but I think that once I've stopped going that may be it

So to conclude I have no advice, I feel your pain and I'm looking for guidance from this thread :confused:

Oh and congratulations :thumbsup:

Having worked every other saturday for the last 11 years with three kids it can be hard making choices, its what you do with the spare time that counts. I'm pretty sure going out for 3 to 5 hours about 23 times a year your son/daughter will hold no grudges and you can still be liked by family and football mates alike.

I don't understand the dilemma at all. It'd be one thing if you were worrying about the expense, but the time? Football matches don't last days at a time now, do they? Going out for a couple of hours once a week (if that) isn't harmful at all. The fact you're even considering the season ticket as a bad thing makes me worry your child's going to end up living at home well into their twenties or thirties.

However, if you're one of those people who uses football as a front for alcoholism and "going to football" really means getting absolutely leathered for twelve hours, then yeah, knock it on the head.

If you can afford the season ticket as well as everything that your baby needs, go for it. But be sure to let mummy go off and do her thing independently as well, or it'll lead to arguments involving the words "selfish", "respect" and "space" in the not-too-distant future.

• Paid Members
I don't understand the dilemma at all. It'd be one thing if you were worrying about the expense, but the time?

Then I guess location is a big factor. For me, an Arsenal fan, you're looking at a day out due to getting trains into the city, tubes, long walk out of the stadium etc (even though I'm not particularly far, just outside North London). Therefore, it wouldn't be feasible for someone like me to have a season ticket with a baby.

But if you are a close to the stadium, then I guess you're looking at 3 hours tops- which is nothing and certainly do-able.

• Paid Members

If it helps Sym, you won't be getting promoted anyway.

However, Cardiff are your team and there is nothing wrong with going to see them once a fortnight. Freaky is right though, make sure that mummy gets to go out as well.

Archived