A dilemma which I'm struggling to decide upon!

Sym

• Paid Members

I've never missed a home game for my kid. She was born on a Thursday night and I very nearly missed the game on the Saturday as my missus wasn't feeling up to much but at the last moment my father-in-law stepped in and came round to help! I did miss the kick-off though. I was gutted.

I think it depends how much you're around generally. I take my daughter to school then I'm home so we can have tea together and I can take her to bed and read her a book. On most matchdays I'm around in the morning and we try and do stuff together on Sunday afternoon's. So even though I go to every home match, most away matches and commit 7-8 hours a week to the juniors I coach, we have plenty of time together.

To be honest, I never ever had the doubts you're having, so I'd go with your gut feeling. I've never felt like i don't spend enough time with my daughter but if I did, I'd sack off the football to make that right.

• Paid Members

Go for the season ticket. Once every two weeks is not a massive amount of time away from your child. If you are there most nights to read a story bath them and put them to bed then one day will not make much of a difference.

However if like Pictos said if you go to games at get smashed every couple of weeks probably not a good idea.

I try to make sure that we always eat dinner as a family. I try to make sure i bath them put them to bed and read them both a story. The on Sundays always try and spend the day with them doing things park/football/cinema etc.

When they are first born though they don't do fuck all but shit piss eat and sleep.

• Paid Members
When they are first born though they don't do fuck all but shit piss eat and sleep.

And completely dependent on care from their parents.

Wrong

They are completely dependant on an adult. I have two boys my Mum looks after them sometimes my mother in law looks after them sometimes. When they are first born mothers are all over them as are most of the women in the family. You don't care for them 24/7. They are your responsibility 24/7 no doubt but if you wanted to go out and watch football and it took 3 hours out of your Saturday and 3 hours away from your baby the baby is not going to think you are an unfit parent is it?

My wife and I share the responsibility of looking after our children. If she wants to go out with her mates or go shopping its not a problem I am more than capable of looking after them. This has been the way since they were born. My dad my mates and me went and got pissed up when my wife got out of hospital. We stayed with my mum and dad for the first week so my mum could help out. Was I a bad parent for going out and wetting the babies head? No of coarse I was not.

My wife went to London with loads of her friends and stayed overnight and watched dirty dancing in the theatre when my eldest boy was only 6 months. She left on a Saturday afternoon and came back Sunday afternoon is she a bad parent? No

You need time away from your children as much as you need time with them. So yeah you are responsible for looking after them and you are their main carer but you are not going to be crucified for going and watching your favourite team on a Saturday.

Just don

As someone in a similar position I too have been having the same dilemma (with the ever so small difference that I'm a Tiverton Town season ticket holder and we'll be lucky to stay in the Southern Premier League!)

Give it up and miss out on a pint of 'Tivvy tipple' , no way!, your tuck shop is awesome too!, i'd never give up my Oxford City season ticket for man,woman or child!

Thanks for all the input guys! Weighed it up and went for the ticket, as as said I don't drink at the games anyway so will start driving there to make sure I'm away for as minimum time possible!

Thanks for all your help!

• Paid Members
Freaky is right though, make sure that mummy gets to go out as well.

You could always treat her on the Saturdays your at home too, by offering to 'watch' the child whilst she washes up, or lifting your legs up whilst she hoovers.

Just the little things, they appreciate that.

My dad had a season ticket when I was growing up. It didn't do me any harm! Then when we got old we shared the interest, I think you should stick with it.

The only time it was a downer was when he got glassed over a chant on the way out of the stadium. He liked a drink and, knowing him, was probably asking for it. But seeing it, he was a right state! But anyway, lets face it, you will get glassed anywhere - not just football matches.

Support the sheep shaggers I say, mate!

Archived