The Wrestling Pyramid

Jas

Inspired by the return of you know who, I would like to know who you think is in wrestling pyramid.

Ranging from the best of the best to those who were great but not quite in the mega elite bracket

Criteria? Well, how about accomplishments/impact to the industry to give it a more general view.

I'll list mine (in no particular order)

1st tier: Greatest of All Time

Hogan, Rock, Austin

2nd Tier: Unquestionable legends but not amongst THE greatest of all time

Triple H, Ric Flair, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, John Cena, Sting

3rd Tier: Again, unquestionable greats but not quite in the top 2 tiers.

Bret Hart, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Kurt Angle, Goldberg

I

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From 1991 onwards (when i started watching)

1st Tier- Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, The Rock

2nd Tier- John Cena, Undertaker, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Bret Hart, Mick Foley

3rd Tier- Goldberg, Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle, Batista, Randy Orton, Edge, Sting, Chris Jericho, Big Show, Kane

From 1991 onwards (when i started watching)

1st Tier- Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, The Rock

2nd Tier- John Cena, Undertaker, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Bret Hart, Mick Foley

3rd Tier- Goldberg, Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle, Batista, Randy Orton, Edge, Sting, Chris Jericho, Big Show, Kane

I think I'd put Sting and possibly Goldberg in that 2nd tier but I agree with that mostly. Goldberg didn't have a long career but there was a period, even if it was only short, where he was running Austin close as the most popular wrestler in the world.

• Paid Members

Ok, rather than slag off other people's, i'll come up with my personal one.

Hogan, Rock, Austin, Flair

Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Macho Man

Triple H, Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg, John Cena, Sting, Kevin Nash, Foley

Surely you're not putting John Cena in Tier 2, but Macho and The Hitman in Tier 3?

I did er.. wrestle with that one, but decided Cena has accomplished/had more impact than Macho or Bret did in their pomp.

Put down your list if you wish.

EDIT: Cheers.

• Paid Members

Good idea, but I have to ask, how exactly do you quantify "accomplishments/impact?"

If it's by drawing a shitload of money then you very probably have a near-undisputed top three, given their positions at the top of the food chain during the twin peaks of the North American industry either side of a deep valley where buyrates, live attendance, merchandise etc smashed records.

If "accomplishments" means longevity as a main event fixture and winning World titles, Ric fucking Flair, then Trips.

Personally, looking at the names you have on the list, in terms of the number of times as World Champion in comparison to the frequency of how often titles changed / how hard it was or is to become champion during peak/prime years, I'd have Hitman in the same tier as Hunter and at least equal to Sting, and Warrior and Goldberg would be nowhere near the list. I actually would rather not place Cena yet, as I don't think he's anywhere near the end of his run, and most if not all of the men on my pyramid are retired or near the end, or past their best.

Hmm, based on what I have watched and my own criteria... all of this obviously carries the "IMHO" tag...

TOP OF THE PILE, CREME DE LA CREME

Three men arguably stand alone for me.

HULK HOGAN is the biggest icon in the history of the industry.

RIC FLAIR is the greatest World Champion in the history of the industry.

SHAWN MICHAELS was the greatest in-ring performer in the history of the industry.

THE SECOND TIER, LEGENDS ALL

STEVE AUSTIN and THE ROCK made a shitload of money during a boom period, were fantastic all-rounders, defined an era and had great matches.

BRET HART and KURT ANGLE were in my eyes the best wrestlers around in their prime years and had a stupidly high ratio of great matches with few bad ones and could contest brilliant matches with a wide variety of shapes, sizes and skill sets, and were multiple time World Champions.

THE UNDERTAKER is the best gimmick of all time, another industry icon, had great matches with an awful lot of the other fellas and is universally respected by journos, fans and wrestlers alike. And won World titles and made shitloads of money.

TRIPLE H can't be ignored for being a main eventer in his company for ten years, winning loads of World titles and at one point being perhaps the best wrestler in the world.

THE SUPPORTING CAST

The noteworthy others, who played huge parts in making the other men on the pile look good at various times while also having their own moments in the sun, if never shining as brightly as the others, but either being a great wrestler and having great matches or a successful World Champion or company figurehead, drawing money as part of a big time rivalry or a combination of these elements.

STING, RANDY SAVAGE, CHRIS JERICHO, RICKY STEAMBOAT, RODDY PIPER, TERRY FUNK, DUSTY RHODES, VADER, MICK FOLEY

IMHO.

Good idea, but I have to ask, how exactly do you quantify "accomplishments/impact?"

It is a bit vague and I'll struggle to explain, but what I mean is the impact made to the industry, memorable wrestlers who put the industry on the map and those who continue to do so for every generation of fan.

But it's nice to see what others define as "The Greatest" so we can go with your own opinion based on your own criteria as well if you want.

Good list btw. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Interesting stuff. So the criteria is impact on the industry. Mine is pretty much US wrestling in the last 30 years. First tier is easy. The two most iconic guys there are.

TOP TIER

-- Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan

Then it becomes more difficult trying to separate the rest. You've got to look at who drew money, who gained fans, who had an impact in wrestling matches and in creating strong TV, who had longevity or made a massive impact in a short time.

SECOND TIER

-- The Undertaker, The Rock, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Roddy Piper, Shawn Michaels.

The next tier would be guys who had genuine main event runs and gained fans on a slightly lesser level or for a shorter time.

THIRD TIER

-- Ultimate Warrior, Sting, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Goldberg, John Cena, Mick Foley, Brock Lesnar, Rey Misterio.

Fourth tier would be your super workers and tags who made shows when the guys above them weren't always the best or guys who had short lived runs on top.

FOURTH TIER

-- Chris Benoit, Owen Hart, Mr Perfect, Rick Rude, Bam Bam Bigelow, Vader, Ricky Steamboat, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Big Bossman, Lex Luger, Arn & Tully, Steiner's, Midnight's, etc.

I'd have to put Taker in the top tier. I doubt anyone else has made as much money. Sure other guys have been big hits and then moved on but for what 20 years taker has been at the top of the business and someone who you put on a poster and you sell PPV's.

He's a great character that has lived through changes in wrestling and society and still has the respect of the business and fans alike.

In ring the guy can wrestler and has had great matches with everyone who is 'someone' whilst also being able to carry most of the dross that WWE have fed him over the years.

As crazy as it sounds but i believe the guy is really underrated because he's stayed around for so long.

• Paid Members
I'd pretty much echo Jas' list but add Mick Foley into the third tier. I'm also not sure about putting Sting above Bret and Macho Man, but that might be because I grew up with WWE. I'd probably put Bret and Macho into the second tier.

Sting isn't a level up from Bret and Savage, not in a million years.

I'd pretty much echo Jas' list but add Mick Foley into the third tier. I'm also not sure about putting Sting above Bret and Macho Man, but that might be because I grew up with WWE. I'd probably put Bret and Macho into the second tier.

He's not to me either, but I can see why non-WWE-centric people would put him there. Sting was The Man in WCW through the tough times and was the only babyface threat to the NWO when that company's boom period kicked off. Savage in his prime was always overshadowed by Hogan, and Bret Hart nearly bankrupted the WWF by being a boring cunt.

Ok, rather than slag off other people's, i'll come up with my personal one.

Hogan, Rock, Austin, Flair

Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Macho Man

Triple H, Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg, John Cena, Sting, Kevin Nash, Foley

Apart from having Flair in tiers 1 and 2 yours is spot on to what mine is. I'd throw Kurt Angle into that third tier though and possibly bump Sting up to the second tier. Whilst he wasn't one of THE greatest of all time he defined an era in WCW and although never wrestling for the 'big leagues' is still well known by non fans of the sport and easily identifiable.

He's not to me either, but I can see why non-WWE-centric people would put him there. Sting was The Man in WCW through the tough times and was the only babyface threat to the NWO when that company's boom period kicked off. Savage in his prime was always overshadowed by Hogan, and Bret Hart nearly bankrupted the WWF by being a boring cunt.

Now you've gone and done it :rolleyes:

Archived