The Wrestling Pyramid

Jas

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play, Super Fizzer. The only one to have done it proper pyramid style.

Knew you'd bother arguing my view on Bret Hart, really. You're too emotionally attached to him not to, despite the earlier grandstanding and pouting.

I'm not blind to his limitations. I could quite happily have left it if not for all that Woosh bollocks. Anyway, you cock, what do you think of The Rock?

Big fan at the time, find his stuff a bit cringeworthy now. Still brought me to laughter and nearly tears on Raw this week, mind.

• Paid Members
I'm also not sure about people who place HBK in tier 1. Is he really anywhere near Hogan/Austin level? Workrate and great matches isn't quite the same thing.

In terms of industry impact, Shawn Michaels :

* Wrestled in the first ladder match in WWF PPV history.

* Wrestled in the first 60 minute one on one match in WWF PPV history.

* Wrestled in the first Hell In A Cell match in history.

* In conjuction with Triple H massively influenced a shift towards "adult-oriented" WWF TV.

* Was a star in pre-Attitude, a star in the Attitude era, and a star post-Attitude, and main evented a WrestleMania in each period.

* Won the Observer's Match of the Year almost every year he was active since his comeback.

Shawn wrestled everyone from Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair to Kurt Angle and Rey Misterio to Vince McMahon. He main evented WrestleMania five times, opposite industry icons and/or great champions in Bret Hart, Stone Cold, Triple H, John Cena and The Undertaker. He main-evented Mania in his final match, a staggering 14 years after his first WrestleMania main event - NO ONE else has done that and probably never will again. Not since Hogan has there been someone so consistently synonymous with the WWF/WWE over a twenty year period.

• Paid Members
Not since Hogan has there been someone so consistently synonymous with the WWF/WWE over a twenty year period.

Eh, The Undertaker?

All that you wrote is nice and all, but he is still nowhere even close to Stone Cold Steve Austin in terms of importance, historical significance, drawing power or mainstream appeal.

• Paid Members
Eh, The Undertaker?

Sure, him too.

he is still nowhere even close to Stone Cold Steve Austin in terms of importance, historical significance,

Well that depends on how you define "importance" and "historical significance," doesn't it....

he is still nowhere even close to Stone Cold Steve Austin in terms of importance, historical significance, drawing power or mainstream appeal.

... sure, pretty good indicators of why you, me or any intelligent WWF fan would put Austin into the top tier. He banked the company a lot of money and was ludicrously recognizable within the industry and outside it for most of his five years on top.

The unparalleled body of quality work, the sustained length of time of being a main event player, being at the forefront of innovative matches and television in the WWF / WWE for over twenty years, are what I think qualify Michaels in terms of "importance" and "historical significance" as also belonging in that top tier.

• Paid Members
The unparalleled body of quality work, the sustained length of time of being a main event player, being at the forefront of innovative matches and television in the WWF / WWE for over twenty years, are what I think qualify Michaels in terms of "importance" and "historical significance" as also belonging in that top tier.

I would say that "The unparalleled body of quality work, the sustained length of time of being a main event player, being at the forefront of innovative matches and television in the WWF / WWE for over twenty years" is what makes Michaels one of your personal favourites, but looking at it objectively, he doesnt belong anywhere near the other three. Plenty of people had long careers full of stellar work. Hennig, Savage, Guerrero, Rude, Rhodes, Hitman, Benoit etc. When I said importance and historical significance reagarding Stone Cold, I was referring to the way he changed the wrestling landscape in the late 90's. The way he changed how people viewed the face/heel divide. Something Michaels never came close to doing. I was referring to the way he turned to tide in WWF/E's favour against WCW. The way he encapsulated the core demographic in the way HBK only wished. The way he drew money and buyrates in multiples of what Michaels had done/would go on to do.

Well that depends on how you define "importance" and "historical significance," doesn't it....

I suppose your right here. It depends on whether your are being objective or not I guess.

• Paid Members
Won't bother arguing pitcos's view on Bret Hart, it's pure ignorance.

:laugh: [/sBA]

Yeah, I got the reference, I'm not stupid. Just struck me as silly tit for tat. Your Bret stuff was nonsense. I've backed up my opinion. If you disagree, fine, but at least post less like a mong about it.

I had to post like a mong to go tit for tat with you.

:laugh:

• Paid Members
I would say that "The unparalleled body of quality work, the sustained length of time of being a main event player, being at the forefront of innovative matches and television in the WWF / WWE for over twenty years" is what makes Michaels one of your personal favourites,

You couldn't be more wrong. I hated the cunt. I was a Bret Hart fan, and when he wrestled anyone like Angle or Benoit or even Randy Orton, I wanted him to get murdered.

I suppose your right here. It depends on whether your are being objective or not I guess.

I am. I'm extolling a wrestler that I despised as the greatest performer in the history of the industry, because in simplest terms compared to Bret Hart (my favourite wrestler to watch ever) and many others named who while great, had shorter careers at their peak or simply didn't achieve as much - main eventing WrestleManias in three different decades and amassing an almost incomparable number of classic matches.

I'm not hear to say anyone's opinion is right or wrong - that's moronic - but that's why Shawn Michaels could be in anyone's top tier. He did things no one else has. Whether or not you put him in your top tier or not depends on if you consider them important or historically significant - which unlike drawing money or buyrates, is purely subjective.

• Paid Members
Where's your list buddy?

For me it goes

1: Shawn Michaels - The Undertaker - Steve Austin

2: Bret Hart - The Rock - Harley Race - Ricky Steamboat

3: Andre the Giant - Rey Mysterio - Roddy Piper - Eddie Guerrero - Triple H - Gorgeous George - Randy Savage

4: Curt Hennig - John Cena - Ric Flair - Dusty Rhodes - Edge - Jerry Lawler - Lou Thesz - Terry Funk

5: Hulk Hogan - Bruno Sammartino - Chris Jericho

You'll have to pay me 30 quid for the rest of this list.

You seem to have Hogan staggeringly low in this. Explain yourself!

I would say...

Hogan

Austin - Rock

Cena - Triple H - Flair - Savage - Bret - HBK

Undertaker - Warrior - Sting - Piper - Big Show - Andre

Snuka - Edge - Benoit - Guerrero - Kane - Nash - Dusty - Foley - Mysterio - Jericho

And I made all pretty and pyramidized. :)

I'm going off how I see the individual's success and impact on the industry and mainstream culture.

• Paid Members
if you consider them important or historically significant - which unlike drawing money or buyrates, is purely subjective.

I really dont think it is. I dont think its subjective to suggest that Austin had a bigger impact on the business overall. He was the main catalyst in the WWF/E beating WCW in the ratings war. He changed the wrestling landscape. Thats not subjective. Not in the slightest. Thats the way it went. I dont really see how your disputing this. That is what I meant when I said the words important and historically significant - two terms you really seem to be getting sticky over. Stone Cold had a bigger, more important role to play in the history of professional wrestling. Its really not a subjective matter. I actually find it crazy for someone to suggest that HBK has had the same impact on the business than Stone Cold. Its nuts I tells ya.

I'm not taking anything away from Michaels long career, or the number or 5 star matches, or anything else.

I'm not hear to say anyone's opinion is right or wrong - that's moronic -

Heaven forbid we discuss something on a discussion board.

For me Steve Austin is Eric Cantona and The Rock is Dwight Yorke (not being racist!). Yorkie might have won the Champions League, but Eric was the one who groomed that group of players and put them into a position where they could win the European Cup. Austin was something to behold in 1998. Its hard to describe how over he was and how on form he was. Rock did sort of over take him in late 1999, and definitely 2000 because WWF remolded the whole company and the whole roster and direction was different when Austin got injured. For me, Austin takes some beating. It was like after years of searching, the WWF fans had finally found their new hero.

Woah there buddy. Dwight Yorke? Fuck that dude. If Austin is Cantona then The Rock is Ryan Giggs - the young-comer destined for greatness!

• Paid Members
For me Steve Austin is Eric Cantona and The Rock is Dwight Yorke (not being racist!). Yorkie might have won the Champions League, but Eric was the one who groomed that group of players and put them into a position where they could win the European Cup. Austin was something to behold in 1998. Its hard to describe how over he was and how on form he was. Rock did sort of over take him in late 1999, and definitely 2000 because WWF remolded the whole company and the whole roster and direction was different when Austin got injured. For me, Austin takes some beating. It was like after years of searching, the WWF fans had finally found their new hero.

Woah there buddy. Dwight Yorke? Fuck that dude. If Austin is Cantona then The Rock is Ryan Giggs - the young-comer destined for greatness!

That would only work if The Rock started in the WWF in 1994 and if he was great from the start, rather than been shit on for over a year for being dire!

If Austin is Cantona, Rocky would be Becks!

Archived