How long does it take to get a passport and US travel visa?

King Pitcos

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You don't need a Visa to enter the US. Provided you have a new machine readable passport and you don't have any criminal record (or even arrests)

I'm assuming you're a citizen of the UK?

And you need to give 6 weeks to get a new passport, you'll also have to go for an interview if it's your first passport.

Well I'm fucked on the criminal record thing then, I think. I've known a lot of people go to America with criminal records and just not declare it on the form, does everything just show up automatically now when they scan the machine-readable passports?

Also six weeks is cutting it too fine.

• Paid Members

Wait a minute - what about the Fast-Track and Premium services? Are they only available to renewers, or can first-timers get them too?

Might want to check that out, Pity - Fast-Track's a one-week service, Premium you get it in one day. Costs a fair bit, mind.

Well I'm fucked on the criminal record thing then, I think. I've known a lot of people go to America with criminal records and just not declare it on the form, does everything just show up automatically now when they scan the machine-readable passports?

don't think it's quite a case of it automatically showing up as soon as they scan the password unless it's something so serious you on a no fly list. Some people will say just go and not declare it and hope for the best on the basis that you're unlikely to be found out but if you do get stopped you'd be fucked for ever getting in again. there is an option to declare it and then. depending what it is, they may let you in anyway. Your best bet would probably be to give the US Embassy a call. Will probably be too late for this year but you might as well get it sorted anyway so you know where you are with any future trips.

• Awards Moderator

Give the passport office a call in town Pity; it used to be in the India Buildings but I think it's moved to Old Hall Street. You used to be able to get them done relatively quickly by going down in person but since the new format has been introduced I don't know if they still do that. Worth a call and if they're in town then it should be a doddle to get down to.

Cheers guys. I just phoned the centralised advice line listed under Google's entries for the Liverpool office, and some bloke told me that for a first passport, it's just the postal application now. That's a shame. A friend of mine had a story about him and his mates going on holiday and the morning they were going, one lad realised he didn't have a passport so they had a mad dash to Portsmouth or somewhere like that to get one sorted. I find that sort of stuff pretty romantic, but I suppose it's not feasible since that thing with the brown lads and the towers.

Eleven years ago I first filled in an application form for a passport, then never sent it. Lazy little sod!

chiefdave, I wouldn't be on a no-fly list or anything but did get in a little spot of bother when I was 18/19. Arrests for breach of the peace, ABH (not guilty though!), and missing a court date. Conviction for criminal damage, never paid the fine either. From what I've heard, I don't think they'll be all "folly of youth lol" and let me in if I tell 'em.

• Moderators

With regards to the Visa/Visa Waiver thing. You'll find that the question you are asked on the Visa Waiver is incredibly vague:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

However, when you go and look at the US Embassy they say:

Under United States visa law people who have been arrested at anytime are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may require a special restricted visa in order to travel. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are not eligible to travel visa free; they must apply for B-1 or B-2 visas. If they attempt to travel under the VWP, they may be refused entry into the United States.

Confusing and vague right? Welcome to the world of immigration law. Yes, you could say No and travel on the Visa Waiver, but then there is the chance you'll be booted right back to England and then you're really fucked if you ever want to go back.

Getting a B-2 visa is not fun though. A lot of money, you'll have to travel to London, and you'll also have to provide all your arrest records. See this page and read all the info very closely. http://london.usembassy.gov/b2.html

If you're going to apply for a visa I strongly suggest you do it immediately. Of course, you need a passport and travel itinerary as well.

• Awards Moderator

I was arrested (not charged!) in 2001 and have been to the USA over a dozen times since. I've never had a single problem at Immigration. That may just be sheer fortune or it may be that the checks aren't as automated or stringent as they'd have you believe. Don't take my word for it, though!

In all honesty mate I wouldnt risk it. I'm off to vegas at the end of may and have spent about the same on getting my passport and visa sorted as I have on the ticket and hotel.

From what I can gather up till recently you would have been fine (2010 I think) saying no and running through customs. However recently I beleive there is more information shared and what it means is if you have been charged they will know and probably even if you have been arrested. as far as I am aware its because new passports hold bio metric data so they will see you have fingerprints on there which is a big sign you have had a brush with the law. As you have not declared it they may then decide to refuse you entry and you would never be allowed into the US again full stop.

Unfortuantely you have to get a certifacte from the police that takes 10 days min. followed by booking an appointment usually 2-3 weeks in advance min. The visit to london canalso be nerve racking although I was lucky they chose to go by my honest word about it being a holiday they can ask to see proof of ties, money etc to this country so they know your not going to become a burden.

In my opinion I would count this years mania a loss and then look to get properly booked for next year. Im thinking of doing that and thankfully I have a 10 year re entry visa so with no other problems touch wood I can go to the USA 3 months at a time till the end of 2011 without having to go through the hassle

However recently I beleive there is more information shared and what it means is if you have been charged they will know and probably even if you have been arrested. as far as I am aware its because new passports hold bio metric data so they will see you have fingerprints on there which is a big sign you have had a brush with the law.

I don't know what you mean by "on there." I don't imagine US immigration has full access to the entire UK fingerprint database, nor the ability to do an instant fingerprint match (considering it takes weeks for fingerprint idents from crime scenes here)... Do they? :/

Or is it something that would come up in the passport application process?

Archived