Anti-depressants

The Reverend

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on some anti depressents about 4 to 5 years ago, forgot the name of them. kind of talked into them by my doctor, but prob needed them anyway at the time. only needed them for 3 months seemed to bring me around back to my normal level. Then after about 2 years thought I needed them again, I had a half pack left from the last time took about 12, one a day. for the next month everytime I slept my head was going around to moby "feeling so real" with a video of rolling hills. needless to say never took anymore.

Anything that gives you physical problems when you're going onto them, different problems once you're settled on them and another set of problems when you're coming off them simply can't be any good for you. They're a waste of time unless you're clinically depressed (i.e. can't actually get out of bed/leave the house etc). Doctors are just keen to chuck pills at people because depression is the single most common thing people visit them about, so prescribing pills gives them tangible figures on how many people they are treating for depression at their surgery, which in turn can help to increase their funding from the Government. Try counselling instead. Much better. Clinical tests have also proven that placebo pills had much the same effect on people as the actual medication.

Horses for courses, Richie. I'm on Citalopram and they are working just fine for me.

So, posting 100 times a day on Facebook isn't a side-effect then? :sneaky:

It's a bit worrying how many of you lot are on the silly pills. Whatever happened to good old fashioned alcoholism or wife-beating?

• Paid Members

When i was 14 i was prescribed Seroxat... horrid fucking thing. I mean, i had a few issues, think of the usual teenage angst + a bit more due to other issues.

After 3 or 4 months of that, i went a bit mental, and over-dosed on the remainder of the packet, fuck knows why, cry for help, tablet side effects, me generally being a crank.. i dont know. Either way, my mother was clued up, found the packet shortly afterwards, got me to the hospital and let the docs do their thing. After this i decided never to take them again and yep.. normal as fuck now !!!!!! :p

I still to this day feel like a prick for putting my family through that.

Funnily enough though, whilst trying to jog my memory of what the name of the tablets were, ivs found several stories online stating that the drug seroxat has been banned from being given to under 18's.

seoxat banned - guardian link

After reading that, it could point blame towards GP's. Giving drugs for things they shouldn't be.

This is my only experience with anti-dep's, hopefully the only experience i will have. Sorry if it sounds bleak, but i hate everything about them due to my experience as it only links to a canny dark time of my life.

I hope you and your missus get through these times alright, everything will work differently for everyone, fingers crossed it works in a positive way for you!

The girl I've been seeing has recently been prescribed anti-depressants.

We live about 100 miles apart so our main contact is through texts, telephone calls etc. I knew that there was something not quite right a few weeks ago but couldn't get it out of her what it was.

Now I know I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should be saying or doing. I'm not one to shy away from telling her how I feel about her and how I'm willing to do anything to help her out but her tone has changed in her messages, although they're still frequent enough and in-depth enough for me not to feel too worried about our relationship, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any experiences of this - should I be giving her some space, should there be things that I should / shouldn't be saying? As we don't see each other very often (and because of this she's become a bit withdrawn) it's worrying me because I want to help.

Any help greatly appreciated!

They have made my life a lot easier. If I'd have never taken them, and discovered them later in life - I'd be really mad at the fact I'd lived with depression and misery for a long time and hadn't dared fight back.

For me who has had reoccurring incidents with anxiety and depression, they are a life saver.

So, they are all good. Only downside is the start-up effects and how that interacts with your full-time job.

So, they are all good. Only downside is the start-up effects and how that interacts with your full-time job.

Any examples? What start-up effects interact with your job?

The start-up effects of meds I've been on generally stop me sleeping, which gives heightened anxiety which is really bad especially if I'm in a customer based role! Thankfully now I tend to just be in boring meetings so it's not the end of the world if I don't sleep for four nights or so.

• Paid Members

The start-up effects of meds I've been on generally stop me sleeping, which gives heightened anxiety which is really bad especially if I'm in a customer based role! Thankfully now I tend to just be in boring meetings so it's not the end of the world if I don't sleep for four nights or so.

Have you ever had time off work, through depression? There's a woman at my work who's battled it most of her adult life and she's been on the sick and what have you.

Have you ever had time off work, through depression? There's a woman at my work who's battled it most of her adult life and she's been on the sick and what have you.

Yeah a couple of times. First time when I got into full-time 9 to 5 work (office job). For me it kind of works in a chain; - high anxiety first = stops me sleeping = spiralling depression. Overall I get so depressed with not sleeping I wouldn't remember if I was depressed in the first place or whether it was caused by lack of sleep. The depression after coming off Citalopram was absolutely horrific, something I would never wish on anyone... I was off for a long time then but my company were kind enough to help me back into work full-time. Those meds changed my life into something liveable and at times very enjoyable. But definitely not as shit as it would be without them!

• Paid Members

I've been on Cipramil (fluctuating from 20mg to 40mg) since 2005. For the first few weeks it was horrendous. I was pissing all the time, tired, dry mouth, no appetite, and I couldn't shoot my Yop, no matter how much I tensed the backs of me legs. Now that's all grand and dandy and you're Billy Hero for a while but after that while it all gets boring and you just need to 'release'. I'm not being crude, that's just my experience.

After those initial few weeks, I found them to be fantastic and the ultimate tonic, and not addictive at all unlike Lexapro or Amitryptaline (which I still take on occassion).

I was taken off them last year, but had to go back on them, coz I am an awful mouthpiece at the best of times in all aspects of me life, but sometimes y'know, you get really down and need a dig out. Cipramil are my dig out, and I'm thankful for them, coz otherwise I'd have cracked up...

• Paid Members

I was on Citalopram for over 2 years. I was also on Amitriptyline at the same time for my sleeping. I was severely clinically depressed and I can say that the medication definitely helped. It's not a miracle cure by any stretch of the imagination, I was close to being hospitalized for my illness. Several years on and I don't take anything. I wouldn't say that I'm completely free of depression/anxiety, I'm just able to manage it much better than I used to be able to.

Archived