Anti-depressants

The Reverend

• Paid Members

I would try to stick off of them. None of them ever seemed to have worked for me apart from Citalopram (for about two weeks) and I've tried a few (Paroxetine, Amitriptyline, Fluoxetine, Citalopram, St.John's Wort).

As Woyzeck says, try and keep your mind off being down by immersing yourself into a hobby. Try and do a bit of running too. Running has worked far better to keep me happier than any pills.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Horses for courses, Richie. I'm on Citalopram and they are working just fine for me.

So, posting 100 times a day on Facebook isn't a side-effect then? :sneaky:

More a side effect of pottering around bored. :laugh:

Totally agree with the hobby thing, I've started writing music again and it helps hugely, I've also got a good employer and they've asked me to write a few articles for the work magazine after they found out I used to write for football programmes. Keeping active and not dwelling on it is the key.

• Paid Members
Horses for courses, Richie. I'm on Citalopram and they are working just fine for me.

So, posting 100 times a day on Facebook isn't a side-effect then? :sneaky:

More a side effect of pottering around bored. :laugh:

Totally agree with the hobby thing, I've started writing music again and it helps hugely, I've also got a good employer and they've asked me to write a few articles for the work magazine after they found out I used to write for football programmes. Keeping active and not dwelling on it is the key.

Thirded on the hobby front. Whilst touch wood I've not suffered from any known medical depression I've know people who have. In my case, the lowest I've ever really felt was after my break up with an ex the christmas before last. It messed me up a bit, but by immersing myself in stuff like football and wrestling (The YouTube thread in on-topic was great for taking my mind off of things) and other hobbies it does you the world of good. The key is not to give yourself a deadline for feeling better or telling yourself you'll be over it all by a certain date for instance, as you'll just think about shit more and more closer to the time. Truthfully at least once a day now something in my mind will pop up about her, but it stopped affecting me long ago. A big thing for me was coming to terms with the fact that every now and then she will pop up, being totally comfortable with it, and not letting in change my person.

I've only had dodgy experiences with anti-depressants. Nothing overwhelmingly awful, but nothing good either. I tend to think that at best, they're a crutch. I don't mean that in a bad way. If you've broken your leg, a crutch helps you get around while it heals. However, a crutch doesn't heal the leg in and of itself. That can only come from inside you. If you keep using the crutch forever, the leg you're not working with will just waste away.

Basically, if you're totally crippled by depression, they may help you enough to get to the point where you can start to address the underlying problems. Don't expect a magic bullet though. Brain chemistry is incredibly complex and different drugs do radically different things to your brain, affecting everything that your brain affects. If you really feel you need them, take them, but monitor your feelings closely and talk to your doctor if you're at all concerned. In the meantime, Baz is right - exercise is as effective as any anti-depressant in relieving symptoms and the only side-effect is that you may improve your general fitness, tone up a bit and get some fresh air. If you have some deep-seated issues to address, get on a waiting list for a shrink. It's not all Freudian couch-based self-analysis. Most psychological treatment now consists of a bit of reflection on the problems, looking at what can be changed and working on ways to change it. What caused your problems isn't the biggest issue. What you can do to change the way they make you feel and act is something you can look at right now.

Archived