Underground Hip Hop

lightningxlock

• Moderators
Don't know how underground it is but Saigon's "Greatest Story Never Told" finally gets released this month and should hopefully become a classic. Also been listening to Wiz Khalifa recently and enjoying his stuff.

I've just seen that Wiz Khalifa is coming to London in May.

What's good to check out of his?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll tell you what boys, you can keep all of your Mr Green and your American "underground" hiphop, with all the shouting and anger, because for me this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT1Ag3s6EFg

This is what hiphop is at its best. Hiphop's routes are in soul and jazz, and the guys who keep returning to the source are the guys that still turn me on.

Here's some more of these guys in the instrumental:

Just fucking spark up and chill the fuck out.

• Moderators

I love jazzy and soulful hip hop; the stuff I've posted was in the vein of what the OP said he was into.

That's a cool track - loads of people I like on it, but I hadn't heard this collabo.

If you like the instrumental jazzy hip hop, you should check out

. Despite the name, it's just one guy. It's one of Madlib's other names. You should also check out his album Shades of Blue, which is his remix of some classics from the Blue Note catalogue. Here's my favourite track off it;
. The whole album is good though. (not tryign to teach you to suck eggs, apologies if you've heard this stuff before, it's just a good starting point is all).

If you're looking for proper hip hop with MCs that samples a lot of jazz, there's still plenty of that about in American underground hip hop (which was an odd phrase for you to use as a slur, given that what you posted is American underground hip hop). Maybe not as much as there was about in the 90s, but it's definitely still there a lot. I could dig some shit out later...

Jazz Liberatorz are French, I believe! But yes, I was being deliberately dismissive, as IMO quite a lot of what's been posted in this thread is pretty mainstream.

I'll check that Yesterday's New Quintet out - I love Madlib in all his crazy guises. I guess you've probably heard People Under the Stairs? I haven't heard anything of theirs for a couple of years, but they have it going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBc9JaAY500

I was up till 2 in the morning last night having my mind blown by a cratedigger mate of mine, so my mind is overflowing with hiphop right now! I haven't written any for a few years, but I think a trip to the record store is in order to go digging for some more old jazz.

• Paid Members

Ill Bill & Vinnie Paz have announced 2 UK dates in support of their new collab lp 'Heavy Metal Kings'. The 1st track is on youtube & is pretty decent. They're playing The London Underground & Manchester Moho in May. Thought this place was as good as any to post this.

Don't know how underground it is but Saigon's "Greatest Story Never Told" finally gets released this month and should hopefully become a classic. Also been listening to Wiz Khalifa recently and enjoying his stuff.

I've just seen that Wiz Khalifa is coming to London in May.

What's good to check out of his?

I've got Flight School on my mp3. He seems to be getting decent press so probably not unknown for much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

What's up...?

Totally missed this thread. Haven't been listening to too much new hip-hop lately, having been introduced to the concept of 'seasonal music taste' by Mr. Rockwell i've been listening to some Winter metal, recently.

But, i'll give some classic recommendations;

Lowkey feat. Immortal Tech - Voices of the Voiceless

The Rebel Army feat. Immortal Tech - NAPALM

Whilst we're at it...

Immortal Technique - Death March

Ill Bill - War is my Destiny

Snowgoons - Hatred FUCKING TUUUUUUUUUNE!!!!

Snowgoons - Still Waters Run Deep

That'll do for now...

Well if it wasn't for Tim Westwood on the Capital Rap Show I would never have got into my music as much as I do now.

The list is endless of artists he interviewed in London and those late Friday nights till 2am. The Saturday night shows between 8-10 before going out for the night. I'd pretty much missed the first two rounds down the pub to listen! Fridays were the sessions. The whole Source update and underground music at it's best.

Incidently I found some old C90 and C120 tapes of some absolute mental tracks from late 80's, early 90's. OC - Times Up popped up on a show and the track was pure magic!

Archived