Underground Hip Hop

lightningxlock

Any fans? I'd never be as bold as to say im a 'Hip Hop fan' per se, because really im not and I hate the vast majority of the commercial crap my girlfriend likes however some of it does hit the spot. I think my interest really began with Public Enemy, Wu Tangs '36 Chambers' album and GZA's 'Liquid Swords'. Since then i've listened to or atleast checked out the likes of Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of the Pharaohs, Cannibal Ox, Goretex, Mr Hyde, etc etc

Anybody got any ideas for me?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Canibas

Immortal Technique

They are two of my favourties. Just depends what you call underground. Early Jay z before he sold out and early Nas before he got shit are great to listen to, There is also so great lupe fiasco stuff out there. I am not a massive rap fan but all those people above get my interest. Most of stuff that makes it to radio is shit imo but saying that kayne wests new album is well fucking good. I don't really know how undergound Canibus and Immortal are now but there both good in there own ways.

On a side note Dynamite Duane have ever listened to Immortal technique you would love alot of it.

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm a big hip hop fan.

In the vein of the stuff you've mentioned, here's a mix I had recorded a while back with a bunch of that kinda stuff on it - you may be able to pick up some recommendations of artists' you wanna check out more of on there: Death Rap mix. (note of warning on the tracklisting - inbetween 1 and 2 there should be "Ju Ju - Punch you in the face" so everything is off by one)

My favourite releases from the Psycho+Logical label (that Goretex and Hyde are on) are:

Ill Bill - Ill Bill is the Future (mixtape), What's Wrong with Bill

Non-Phixion - The Future is Now

Necro - I Need Drugs, Die!

Q-Unique - Vengeance is Mine

The poster D-d-d-daz on here will be able to recommend you some stuff that you'll like if he sees this thread. He will also recommend Immortal Technique to you ;).

Some good shit that I've been listening to recently:

Ghostface Killah - Black Tequila (the most recent Ghostface album is all brilliant, this is my current favourite track)

Early Jay z before he sold out

Love the idea that Jay-Z somehow 'sold out'; he just started talking about different shit, he articulated the hustling, gangster vibe on Reasonable Doubt and knew he could never top it...if he'd have just stayed with that his albums would have diminished irreparably like with Nas.

OK, the beats maybe got a bit more 'commercial' especially on the sophomore album, but I don't see a classic hip hop record like The Blueprint as 'selling out' just because he's talking about money and women, and especially since it relies heavily on samples and there's some deep flow at parts.

At best you can call Blueprint III a 'sell out' record, but it's more of a case of him collaborating with a lot of massive stars and creating some good radio friendly tracks, not like he's gone bubblegum pop or anything (though Run This Town pretty much sucks).

On topic, I'll back up the Non Phixion recommendation, and also say Talib Kweli if he's considered underground (commercially lauded but never had any mainstream success). 'Reflection Eternal', his collaboration with beat maker Hi-Tek has produced two classic albums, especially the first one called 'Train of Thought'. Sweet Memories is my favourite track off the record

• Moderators

A conversation over whether or not Jay-Z has sold out is almost as boring as his flow :bored:

I love that beat for Run This Town though; Lil Wayne kills it on No Ceilings.

Best Kweli album for my money is Liberation, but that may be because I love pretty much anything Madlib does. I also think Quality is a far superior album to the second Reflection Eternal album. Train of Thought is a bona fide classic though.

Edit:

Oh shit, I can't believe I left this out of my original post! Some of the best underground hip hop I've heard in ages that my buddy turned me on to a couple months back -

• Paid Members

Jay Z did sell out and he has never tried to hide the fact. I think he is a great artist. He went from undergorund looked around and thought fuck it i want to make some money hats off to him. Nas never sold out look where it got him no where. If i was in Jay Z shoes i would have definatly done the same the man's a legend. Blue Print 3 was pretty shit but he has many albums out there that are excellent.

Jay Z did sell out and he has never tried to hide the fact. I think he is a great artist. He went from undergorund looked around and thought fuck it i want to make some money hats off to him.

He had guest spots by the likes of Biggie and Mary J Blige on his first album, it was hardly an obscure underground street classic. The style was more underground, but he was always high on the radar, the likes of Pac are name dropping him in 1996.

I think my interest really began with Public Enemy, Wu Tangs '36 Chambers' album and GZA's 'Liquid Swords'.

They done it for me too, along with Method Man and ODB. Was a drum'n'bass head before I heard the sound of the Wu. I changed my tunes when I did.

Liquid Swords is simply the greatest album ever put together. When's the sequel come out?

also say Talib Kweli if he's considered underground (commercially lauded but never had any mainstream success). 'Reflection Eternal', his collaboration with beat maker Hi-Tek has produced two classic albums, especially the first one called 'Train of Thought'. Sweet Memories is my favourite track off the record

I've heard the name Talib Kweli come up alot actually, that particular album is under a fiver on Amazon so I may just check that out

• Moderators

So, lightning - how have you been getting on? Find much you like yet?

Here's a little minimix I did the other day - just 20mins, 9 tracks. But it's all pretty underground stuff apart from a non-album b-side from Fat Joe and and a Nas freestyle. Thought I may as well throw the link in here!

Tracklist:

1) S. Kalibre - Fuck the Law

2) Rockizm - Hip Hop

3) Reks - Easy (remix)

4) Fat Joe - Hustlin'

5) Da Cheeba Hawks - Ill Blunt Story

6) Roc'c' - Let's Battle

7) Soul Purpose ft. Percee P - Lung Collapsing Lyrics Pt 2

8) The Ancients - Pure Peak Performance

9) Nas - Hot 97 Freestyle

Archived