Underground Hip Hop

lightningxlock

• Paid Members

I downloaded 'Nineteen Ninety Now' last night, excellent stuff! I can see this staying in the car for a while now.

Out of interest, how much do you think underground rappers like Celph Titled, Vinnie Paz, Apathy et al earn? They can't be making much. Their shows don't get huge crowds, barely enough to cover travel expenses & with illegal downloading the money in record sales can't be all that, especially once you've accounted for distribution costs etc. I helped out the owner of a music venue I used to run comedy at a couple of years ago by booking him a few banfs, mostly indie fare like 'Athlete' & 'Ocean Colour Scene' but whilst I was on it I enquired on a few hiphop acts, I was offered 'Souls of Mischeif' & Akil from Jurassic 5 on the premise that they'd keep the door money, we'd keep the bar but they'd need dinner & petrol money to get to the next gig!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Nice.. I still haven't checked those albums out as I went on a Nate Dogg binge last night... Never even heard of that 'Kill Devil Hills' one btw, so I'm quite curious about that.

Hmm.. interesting question. I guess they probably can't make that much from coming over to Europe based on what you've said.. But maybe the deal you were getting offered was because they were in the country anyway and the 'main gig(s)' they'd come over for were more well compensated..?

Also, I think they do an awful lot of shows in the States. It's a big country, I think they can probably tour on a constant rotation if they wanted to and not make it back around to the start of their loop for long enough that they'd draw a crowd again.

• Paid Members

Couple of tracks from the upcoming 'Heavy Metal Kings' album by Ill Bill & Vinnie Paz :

Looking forward to this. Bill is the ultimate studio MC, not that great live but I love him on record.

On a seperate note, has anyone else used 'ustream' before? I might be behind on this but on Friday night Apathy tweeted a ustream link, I clicked on it as the wife had gone to bed & it was essentially him streaming himself from his studio (bedroom?) answering questions, showing peeps (there were about 40 odd of us 'watching') his recording process & the best bit, got emailed a beat live from someone in the room, opened it & busted an awesome freestyle over it. Pretty sweet.

Archived