CM Punk

Checkmate

Im a fan of him but does anyone think that hes very over rated by the internet fans not really by people on this site but certian fans/marks whatever you wanna call them seem to treat him as some sort of god. IMO hes not at the stone cole/hogan level and never will be

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care for him. Decent heel charisma but that's about all that stands out to me.

I think the net fans like him because he busted his ass in the indys for a LONG time before getting his WWE break- too many of the guys we watch on TV have had it handed to them on a plate!

He's also probably 100 times better in the ring than they allow him to be-though thats probably the same for a lot on the roster.

• Paid Members

"Internet fans." Yawn. What the fuck does that even mean?

You're wrestling fans talking about wrestling on the internet, that makes YOU internet fans.

If you fancy having a pop at "workrate pervert Shimmer paedos LOLZ" then do it, but this "internet fans" thing is retarded.

I admit I'm totally biased; I'm straight edge and have always disliked the way he represents it. Yeah, he's doing it in character, but it still doesn't sit right with me somehow. (Could it be that he successfully makes me mark out? Hmmm...) It's not a good wrestling gimmick. It's cool that he's not really using it in the Neo-Nexus actually.

• Paid Members
It's not a good wrestling gimmick.

It's a brilliant gimmick, and your own words show why it is.

I'm straight edge and have always disliked the way he represents it.

Superb. So, the drinkers/smokers/stoners among us think "you sanctimonious prick, sod off telling me how to live," and other straight edgers like yourself think "you're misrepresenting us."

Makes him a great heel, yes?

The fact he's getting nuclear heat doesn't hurt either.

Superb. So, the drinkers/smokers/stoners among us think "you sanctimonious prick, sod off telling me how to live," and other straight edgers like yourself think "you're misrepresenting us."

Makes him a great heel, yes?

The fact he's getting nuclear heat doesn't hurt either.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've always thought, but I don't like it when something real is used, or worse, embellished for heel heat. The idea behind Mohammed Hassan's character for example offended me that much that I actually stopped watching WWE for a fair few years, and anyone that's used Eddie Guerrero's death to get heel heat, I would like to capture their soul in a glass bottle and throw said bottle into an active volcano.

• Paid Members
To be fair, Air_raid. As quite a good looking man, I was always pissed off about how Rick Martel portrayed the 'Model' gimmick, so I can see where he's coming from ;)

I felt the same way about Eugene.

I would like to capture their soul in a glass bottle and throw said bottle into an active volcano.

That's epic. You sound tormented.

I find him very boring, in much the same way I found Chris Jericho to be very boring, his heel promos, particularly with SES and New Nexus are just awful, very samy, slow, dull and with a pointless message and outcome. He's ok in the ring but nothing for me stands out as being great, he doesnt really have a bad match in him but I never feel he can just put it on and make a match great. His look I think massively detracts too, seeing him against Cena, who admittedly is stupidly big, makes Punk look like a very young gymnast with really bad tattoos. I dont dislike him, I just dont think he's amazing like some.

I would like to capture their soul in a glass bottle and throw said bottle into an active volcano.

Hahaha, that really got a laugh out of me :)

His SES gimmick can go choke on a dick too. I couldn't even find that funny, and was offended beyond any kind of markdom by that, I really was. What pisses me off the most is that he now actually has a stable that DOES somewhat resemble a realistic militant straight edge group and he's not even labelling it as such, barring the vague allusion in the wrist tape logo. Potential gone to waste there. If I'd been booking the SES angle, he would've been beating people up for being drunk and going on (the equivalent of) witch hunts for dealers and Super Dragon-style curbstomping them :p

On a side note, I do like his somewhat-famous quote about people that call wrestlers by their real names. It's in someone's signature here, but I forget whose.

• Paid Members

Hahaha, that really got a laugh out of me :)

His SES gimmick can go choke on a dick too. I couldn't even find that funny, and was offended beyond any kind of markdom by that, I really was. What pisses me off the most is that he now actually has a stable that DOES somewhat resemble a realistic militant straight edge group and he's not even labelling it as such, barring the vague allusion in the wrist tape logo. Potential gone to waste there. If I'd been booking the SES angle, he would've been beating people up for being drunk and going on (the equivalent of) witch hunts for dealers and Super Dragon-style curbstomping them :p

On a side note, I do like his somewhat-famous quote about people that call wrestlers by their real names. It's in someone's signature here, but I forget whose.

You rang milady?

I love Punk, I think he's hilarious but also mildly frightening. His perversion of straight edge is great too, it'd be far too eays to use that gimmick an have everyone shift uncomfortably and say "well...he does have a point"

I dont think anyone would seriosly suggest Punk is figurehead material

Im possibly his biggest fan, he is the reason I still watch wrestling in many ways but his role will always be that of a top villian not Hogan/Austin/Cena style figurehead, nothing wrong with that Edge and Chris Jericho are kinda the same

Punk made me like wrestling again with his feud with Jeff Hardy as I had turned it of when HHH vs Orton part 267 came rampaging onto my screen, he was a true breathe of fresh air, there are guys who I greatly enjoy in WWE like Miz, Bryan,Del Rio and Morrison but Punk is my clear favorite

I dont think WWE will try and ever push Punk as a figurehead, but lets face if he they did he cant fail any worse than Randy Orton did last year

Archived