CM Punk

Checkmate

• Paid Members
EDIT: Just went on Youtube. Seems KENTA's new finisher is a Randy Orton-style punt. The way he hits it is REALLY fucking nasty. I think it's a bit stupid, to be honest.

A bit stupid for the bloke taking the move maybe, but spectacular for us fans to behold, no? If you want to see some really silly punt kicks / head kicks there

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I want to know though is why straight edge. I have done Coke, Pills, Ketamine, Acid; I smoked gear solid and skunk for years I smoked for 10 years and fuck me I drank I drank a fucking huge amount. I had a fucking great time though I was off my tits from 17 till 21 years old still managed to do my job and had a great laugh I did it because I was young. I now have kids and want to be sorted for them and quit everything as soon as my first boy came along except beer and I lasted about a month without fags.

Now all the Straight edge people on here you have never come up on pills you have never chatted shit to your mate till 8 in the morning about everything and nothing and anything you can't seem to remember. Why not do a fuck load of drugs then if you don't like it go straight edge? I would rather get to 65 and have a fucking great time then get to 100 and have done fuck all but lived a life with too much control. Drugs drink etc makes you lose control makes you a different person and its fucking great.

Can anyone who is a proper straight edge tell me there reasons for being one?

I also don't buy looking after the body shit the body can take an absolute battering before giving up. Having a few beers every now and then is not going to fuck it up. Also I am sure I read somewhere a couple of glasses of wine a week are good for your heart.

I'm far from straight edge, but even I can see the flaws in your argument. First of all, everyone's body is different in terms of its tolerance levels and how much abuse it can take. I have a congenital minor heart defect that wasn't diagnosed until I was 27, and it makes me wince now to think that I dabbled with coke and 'E' while this condition was undetected. If I'd done them more than just a few times it could have fucked me up long-term.

Secondly, the suggestion 'why not do a fuck load of drugs then if you don't like it go straight edge' is fundamentally flawed because, just as people have different tolerance levels, some people are more prone to addiction than others. I don't have an addictive personality - the number of times I've taken drugs is in single figures, I've bummed the odd tab or cigar off my mates without ever having the desire to take up smoking, and getting a 6-pack of beer to drink on your own in the house for the sake of it just seems crazy to me. I know mates who've wasted shitloads of cash they couldn't afford on all of the above over the years; if you get a taste for the harder stuff, it's a dangerous road to get on.

Personally I can't relate to the straight edge thing simply because I grew up in a very strong, working class drinking culture where your social life was inextricable from drinking. However, I don't see that it would have been that much of a loss to me not to drink if I'd grown up somewhere it wasn't that big of a deal. Yeah, I've got some funny stories from the times I've been pissed or stoned, but they'd be fuck all use to me if I was paranoid dole bum or a vegetable because I'd overdone it.

• Paid Members
straight edge isnt everyones taste but I dont shove it done peoples throat but it does bug when people either try to pressure me or think Im an ex alcoholic. People dont get understand it over here thats why the uk is the 'binge nation'

Sorry but thats crap. Your implying its got to be all or nothing, I drink with out it being a "binge" or it impacting my health as do many, many people.

straight edge isnt everyones taste but I dont shove it done peoples throat but it does bug when people either try to pressure me or think Im an ex alcoholic. People dont get understand it over here thats why the uk is the 'binge nation'

Sorry but thats crap. Your implying its got to be all or nothing, I drink with out it being a "binge" or it impacting my health as do many, many people.

I'm not sure he is necessarily implying that - remember, the medical definition of 'binge drinking' is only something like the equivalent of 3-4 pints, which is a quiet midweek night down the pub for a lot of us. But extended drinking is pretty pervasive in most aspects of social life over here - you start off with a few cans down the park with your mates at 14-15, graduate to house parties, and then if you can grow the slightest bit of facial fuzz you'll have moved on to clubbing by the time you're 16. That's before even getting started on the drinking scene at uni. You ask a lass out for the first time, you ask her to go for a drink, because asking her for a coffee is too chaste and American and if you ask her to a restaurant you might as well bring a fucking engagement ring with you. You go to the footy with your mates, you meet in the pub before the match and have some piss-weak stadium beer at half-time. You go to a gig, you try to get pissed enough that you can pretend the warm piss showering down on you from a glass some twat's just flung in the air is bovril.

I'd happily go down the pub and not drink now, but that's because I'm hurtling towards 30 and can't take the hangovers anymore. But if I'd refused to go out and get pissed when in my teens, I doubt I'd have any friends now and i'd probably still be a virgin. 'Straight Edge' sounds daft over here, because you're essentially giving a cool name to something that is fundamentally (in our culture) uncool.

• Paid Members

Thats just how I read it, given the sentence is some what broken by what I assume is a typo so I may be wrong but that is how it reads to me, that they think people drink to excess because they can't comprehend the notion of not drinking at all,

I don't know much about the ins and outs of the generation of "binge drinking " or the British history of drinking but I do know plenty of people who enjoy a couple of pint on a Saturday afternoon or a glass of red with their dinner now and then without issue.

I'd happily go down the pub and not drink now, but that's because I'm hurtling towards 30 and can't take the hangovers anymore. But if I'd refused to go out and get pissed when in my teens, I doubt I'd have any friends now and i'd probably still be a virgin.

This is a good point. I've only got three friends now, because I bowed out of the binge drinking every weekend culture. And because I'm a cunt, obviously.

That's the thing - strike-based finishers just look shit if you don't lay it in a bit, like, say, the Shining Wizard or the Clothesline From Hell. Only one which gets away with it is Orton's punt kick, mainly because most people, not just wrestling fans, know how damaging a kick to the head can be. That's also why I think KENTA's new finish is stupid.

There's nothing wrong with the knockout punch used by The Big Show, it's convincing and totally believeable

I think he's been on fire for a while now. His SES stuff was great, his stint on commentary made me like him even more and he took over Nexus (who I loved beforehand) and has been a brilliant diabolical heel ever since (His plans on RAW make the show watchable for me). He's got something different about him, charisma wise, than other heels in the WWE.

• Paid Members

The drinking thing is interesting to me, because I fall somewhere inbetween. I drink, and can generally hold my alcohol, but I don't like being drunk. At all. However, I like ale/lager/wine much more than I like soft drinks, so I'm far more likely to have a beer than I am to have a lemonade. I actually can't understand the mindset of drinking to get drunk.

• Paid Members

Is straight edge just for drugs that get you fucked up or is it a case that you cant have something if your heads killing or if your gums swollen. I think having an Ibuprofen for a bad tooth must be alright is it not? I'd imagine Straight Edge was a movement to rebel against pissheads and druggy's, not dentists.

However, I like ale/lager/wine much more than I like soft drinks, so I'm far more likely to have a beer than I am to have a lemonade. I actually can't understand the mindset of drinking to get drunk.

I'm the opposite, and you're a liar. Only an absolute mental could actually like the taste of booze. There's no reason whatsoever to drink the disgusting shite unless you're out to get hammered.

However, I like ale/lager/wine much more than I like soft drinks, so I'm far more likely to have a beer than I am to have a lemonade. I actually can't understand the mindset of drinking to get drunk.

I'm the opposite, and you're a liar. Only an absolute mental could actually like the taste of booze. There's no reason whatsoever to drink the disgusting shite unless you're out to get hammered.

See, I like the taste of beer, but I'l only drink if I'm aiming to get a buzz of some kind. If not what's the point? Just have a cup of tea instead.

• Paid Members

See, I like the taste of beer, but I'l only drink if I'm aiming to get a buzz of some kind. If not what's the point? Just have a cup of tea instead.

Well, I'm talking about cold drinks, obviously. If I'm getting a hot drink, I'll go for coffee - strong and black (like my men).

I'd happily drink non-alcoholic beer, but most of it tastes too malty.

• Paid Members

That's the thing - strike-based finishers just look shit if you don't lay it in a bit, like, say, the Shining Wizard or the Clothesline From Hell. Only one which gets away with it is Orton's punt kick, mainly because most people, not just wrestling fans, know how damaging a kick to the head can be. That's also why I think KENTA's new finish is stupid.

There's nothing wrong with the knockout punch used by The Big Show, it's convincing and totally believeable

That's probably because Big Show's fucking huge. Anyone else who has a strike finisher doesn't really get that luxury.

Straight Edge to me is no alcohol, smoking, drugs, I would take painkillers if the pain was that bad or depends what the pain is ie lifethreatening, but even as a kid I wouldnt want to take painkillers not sure why though.

From my knowlege the SE stuff got its name etc from SE band Minor threat in the early eightes, they had a song called 'straight edge'.

The 'X' is when anyone under 18 went into the a bar/club the bouncer would draw a X on there hand to stop them getting served alcohol, then SE took it as a sign of pride kinda thing.

I think alot of it came from the SE bands idols where dying of drug/alcohol OD's in the 70s, didnt like the culture and attitude to the life of excess and wanted to life and promote a clean healthy lifestyle, Ofcourse others felt the same and people got into.

But I dont live this way 'to live to 100yrs' is just I prefer to just the way others drink as someone said its part of there culture, Ive seen the ugly not so fun side of alcohol and dont want to be part of it.

The 'Binge' stuff I dont mean everyone does it but some tv shows, papers etc had called britian that in the past.

There is no right/wrong answer cos its a choice that fits each persons needs, I dont Im happy, the dude early wants to 'take a bunch of drugs' and have a good time which is fair enough if hes happy.

Sorry If theres any mistakes but thats part of my take on things.

Archived