CM Punk

Checkmate

• Paid Members

I've only ever seen a highlights package of that match and there was some good spots in there, but it was as sloppy as fuck in places. I think 93 minutes is too long for ANY match though.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the whole straightedge movement was linked to the hardcore punk scene but it's nit just linked to that of course. What most would simply class as metal has edge bands, just like all stuff it's evolved, has offshoots and it's niche crowd. Bit like wrestling! Some of it's a bit mental and went semi religious/cult like read up on the whole barrooms vegan stuff and it's Muslim links. Pretty weird stuff but produced so e amazing bands. Not edge but love singing along with a cheeky beer on the go. Haha

Straight Edge doesn't bother me so much, but the idea that it is somehow separate from any other trinket of fashion as some would pretend, is completely fatuous. If it wasn't for the 'scene' then these people simply would be non-drinkers, or non-smokers, or more accurately all of the above. The title 'straight edge' and the related slogans, shirts and tattoos are just simply fashion.

Straight Edge doesn't bother me so much, but the idea that it is somehow separate from any other trinket of fashion as some would pretend, is completely fatuous. If it wasn't for the 'scene' then these people simply would be non-drinkers, or non-smokers, or more accurately all of the above. The title 'straight edge' and the related slogans, shirts and tattoos are just simply fashion.

I don't wear the t shirts nor do I have any tattoos or other stuff to do with it I just say I'm Straight Edge because it's quicker than listing all the things I don't do.

I was living the Straight Edge lifestyle before I even knew what it was I've never drank alcohol in my life or smoked or taken any illegal drugs and I only took prescription ones when absolutely necessary.

• Paid Members

But nobody knows what straight edge is in this country. You'll have to explain the whole thing. When your at a Wedding and your uncle says "fancy a drink Smeg?" and you turn round and say "I'm straight edge" and your Uncle asks what that means, isnt that a much bigger fart on than saying "dont drink mate"?

• Paid Members

I don't know if that's strictly true. There's definitely an attitude in Western Culture that not drinking, smoking or taking drugs makes you a boring bastard. Straight Edge, with all the slogans, shirts and shit does make it sound a lot cooler. It's fashion, yes, but I think there is at least some purpose behind it.

I like CM Punk.

• Moderators

Yeah, but T-shirts saying that you don't drink, smoke, do drugs, which are signposted on the shirts makes it look very very tosserlike rather than a bit cooler, which'd be worse than being seen as boring for not doing owt. I don't go around going around in T-Shirts saying "I love a rollie, me!". I don't think anyone does, I should hope, so I don't see why many of the straight edge are so in your face with T-shirts and shite saying that they abstain. It'd be the same as a group of folks getting T-shirts and listening to bands about not eating Honey Shreddies or something. It's your business, keep it yours, innit.

• Paid Members
Abstinence from sex outside of committed relationships was one belief as well, because it's welcoming various STD/I's and other crap into your body

Has no one told them about the condom?

Straight Edge, with all the slogans, shirts and shit does make it sound a lot cooler. It's fashion, yes, but I think there is at least some purpose behind it.

I'd disagree, I think it would make it look like a cry for attention. "look at me, look what I do/don't do/am part of, care about it". Loads of people make personal choices without the need to show it to the world.

On Punk, I hate his Indy stuff, it just doesn't entertain me, I hate the Pepsi plunge and some people on some forums talking abut him like a god and bitching because he was a gangster at cenas mania entrance and "Hez loads better than Cena~" made for a hype he couldn't live up to any way.

In WWE I think he's very entertaining, particularly as a heel. I love to hate him.

This Straight Edge thing sounds like a bloody sham. Like when I tell everyone who'll listen that I don't eat Smarties anymore. But I'll eat them anyway, and not even hide the fact.

CM Punk is pretty great, like. He dragged Jeff Hardy through a blistering feud, that takes some skill. However, the Go 2 Sleep is a pants finishing move.

• Paid Members
However, the Go 2 Sleep is a pants finishing move.

It's because he hits it a bit lazily - just drops them off his shoulders, then leans back and raises his knee slightly. KENTA, the guy who's credited with inventing the move, and whose finisher it originally was (still is, I think), pretty much throws his opponent off, and knee-lifts or kicks them while they're still in the air. Looks pretty brutal.

EDIT: Just went on Youtube. Seems KENTA's new finisher is a Randy Orton-style punt. The way he hits it is REALLY fucking nasty. I think it's a bit stupid, to be honest.

Archived