Two big names supposedly confirmed for the Rumble

IANdrewDiceClay

I personally think Booker is getting some harsh critism on here. Whilst I have not seen his TNA run the guy worked well for both WCW/WWE. He did well hanging around the main event in WWE and was quite good when it came to the comedy aspect as well. Again everybody as there own opinions on wrestlers but for me Booker was mostly good and sometimes great.

Name one decent match Booker had in his WWE stint.

Ok i'll bite:

Booker T vs The Rock(SummerSlam 2001)

And yes Rocky could pull off a decent match with anyone but Booker T more than held his own here.

You want some more?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think Booker is getting some harsh critism on here. Whilst I have not seen his TNA run the guy worked well for both WCW/WWE. He did well hanging around the main event in WWE and was quite good when it came to the comedy aspect as well. Again everybody as there own opinions on wrestlers but for me Booker was mostly good and sometimes great.

Name one decent match Booker had in his WWE stint.

Ok i'll bite:

Booker T vs The Rock(SummerSlam 2001)

And yes Rocky could pull off a decent match with anyone but Booker T more than held his own here.

You want some more?

Go on then, humour me.

• Paid Members
was quite good when it came to the comedy aspect as well.

I think Booker T was absolutely hilarious with Goldust, but that was 2002/3? Thats seven/eights years ago now.

We've had a lot of tripe from him since then.

I agree with this Rob Lowe chap.

I agree with you too Mr Wagon Man. It was pretty bleak, but I cant disagree with anything you said. Apart from a surprise Del Rio win.

I miss in wrestling the times when fans were pulling hair out of their heads for a wrestler to win the title. HBK at Mania 12, Austin Mania 14, Sting Starcade 97, Benoit Mania 20 etc. We could argue about each one, but Im sure you get the point.

They need to build someone up to the point that half the arena is begging for them to win the rumble and then the title at Mania. I dont think thats happened in years. Maybe Batista in 2005.

Because they havnt built anyone worth cheering, I'll be marking out for Kevin Nash. This is your own fault WWE!

I agree with you too Mr Wagon Man. It was pretty bleak, but I cant disagree with anything you said. Apart from a surprise Del Rio win.

Okay, I was going slightly overboard about Del Rio, but hopefully you catch my drift. I'd like to see somebody challenge for the title who hasn't competed against the champion dozens of times already, and Del Rio seems like the most plausible candidate. He's not great though, as you reference.

• Paid Members

I think some of the Booker T criticism is a bit harsh, but I don't think there's any reason for people to be getting upset about him appearing tomorrow night- if it happens, it will just be a quick surprise to pop the crowd (which it will) and he'll be gone in under five minutes. Like RVD's last few Rumble entries.

I'm all for surprise entrances in the Rumble, even if it's total shitarses. It's part of the charm of the Royal Rumble match. I'd much rather Booker T got a run out than JTG.

I think some of the Booker T criticism is a bit harsh, but I don't think there's any reason for people to be getting upset about him appearing tomorrow night- if it happens, it will just be a quick surprise to pop the crowd (which it will) and he'll be gone in under five minutes. Like RVD's last few Rumble entries.

Which is fine by me. I'd much rather see a nostaglia act than any of the other bland wrestlers on the roster. But to suggest that his - and Nash's - inclusion makes this the best build-up for a Royal Rumble match EVER... well, that really grinds my goat.

Nash has said so many times he won't go back on the road. I know, a wrestling saying "no" and going back on his word is the norm. However, WHY would Nash (or Booker) agree to make a return in a match they're never going to win. It would make no sense, creatively. I'd love to see Nash back on TV, Booker not so much but he'll be far less annoying on WWE TV than he was in TNA when he pissed about for most of the time.

• Paid Members

I imagine they're both signing contracts as we speak, oherwise they'll go straight back to TNA and most probably be "They".

I'd be mega surprised if they're there for the one match. As far as Nash goes, he's probably sick of TNA and because he's in decent shape and father time is ticking he must realise that a couple of full time years in WWE is probvably the best thing. He'll probably try to cut down the schedule too. Who knows! But I strongly doubt they'll be back for the one match.

Go on then, humour me.

Oh very well then.

Does the Booker/Austin supermarket brawl count?

Booker T vs Edge(WrestleMania X8) Yes the actual feud was pants but the match itself was decent

Booker T/Goldust vs The Dudley Boys vs Lance Storm/William Regal vs Chris Jericho/Christian(Armageddon 2002)

Booker T vs John Cena(No Mercy 2004)

Booker T vs Kurt Angle(Judgement Day 2005)

Booker T vs Chris Benoit(any of the matches they had during what would have been the best of 7 series if Booker hadn't gotten injured in late 2005)

Booker T vs Bobby Lashley(Judgement Day 2006) Ok i admit i may be the only person who liked this match

Booker T vs Bobby Lashley(Cage match from Smackdown in i think May 2006)

King Booker vs Rey Mysterio(Great American Bash 2006)

King Booker vs Bobby Lashley vs Batista vs Finlay(No Mercy 2006)

King Booker vs Batista(Survivor Series 2006)

King Booker/Finlay vs John Cena/Batista(Armageddon 2006)

Go on then, humour me.

Oh very well then.

Does the Booker/Austin supermarket brawl count?

Booker T vs Edge(WrestleMania X8) Yes the actual feud was pants but the match itself was decent

Booker T/Goldust vs The Dudley Boys vs Lance Storm/William Regal vs Chris Jericho/Christian(Armageddon 2002)

Booker T vs John Cena(No Mercy 2004)

Booker T vs Kurt Angle(Judgement Day 2005)

Booker T vs Chris Benoit(any of the matches they had during what would have been the best of 7 series if Booker hadn't gotten injured in late 2005)

Booker T vs Bobby Lashley(Judgement Day 2006) Ok i admit i may be the only person who liked this match

Booker T vs Bobby Lashley(Cage match from Smackdown in i think May 2006)

King Booker vs Rey Mysterio(Great American Bash 2006)

King Booker vs Bobby Lashley vs Batista vs Finlay(No Mercy 2006)

King Booker vs Batista(Survivor Series 2006)

King Booker/Finlay vs John Cena/Batista(Armageddon 2006)

I'm not playing devil's advocate, and I'm not deliberately trying to be argumentative, but I didn't find any of those matches to be enjoyable. Maybe it's just me.

I just never connected to Booker's character (if he had one), and not once got emotionally invested in any of his feuds or looked forward to any of his bouts. He always came across as an idiot, or a simpleton. No, I'm not being racist. He just seemed like a complete thicko, and as a babyface trying to take down the likes of Triple H, it just didn't work.

To me, Booker was never really good or bad, he was just there. The definition of average. He should have been a career midcarder (like Goldust), he wouldn't be criticised so much. I never watched a Booker match and thought, "Damn that sucked", my reaction was usually "meh". And despite being a multi-time world champion, he never had that main event aura.

Contrastly, Nash always had that main event aura, everything about him screamed big time. He was never the flashiest guy in the ring, but he was always a spectacle. It will be a great Rumble moment, it's been 7 and a half years since Nash has been in a WWE ring. Seems crazy to me that 2003 was that long ago. :omg:

Archived