Two big names supposedly confirmed for the Rumble

IANdrewDiceClay

I fucking love Kevin Nash. The cash machines still pumpin out those bills brothaa. I love that he dyed his hair as well. Just like Vince likes. He knows his role.

re Chris Jericho...he costs Orton the WWE title....enters the rumble...Orton gets him eliminated...they both make up the numbers in Elimination chamber but neither win...Orton V Jericho at WM 27. Insert 8 weeks of silly tags, face offs, beatdowns and promos at tv and you have a 2 month program. This stuff writes itself really.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Kevin Nash is a step up, but has still been over-exposed during his career and doesn't have much novelty value anymore.

I don't think this is true. His not been in WWE since 2002ish and given a large number of people who don't watch TNA I'd say this is a novelty, more than that possible and he certainly hasn't been over exposed to the audience.

I can't help but take all this with a pinch of salt. There's always rumours of people returning at the Rumble, and even the fact that they've apparently arrived for the show makes me think that they could just be there to hang around backstage as seems to happen all the time. Especially Nash who's got friends there, isn't really doing anything, might be there to talk about making a HoF appearance and has loads of reasons to just go there for talks. Even Booker T might just be there to talk and hang out with the boys.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

That and if they are both set to return to TNA then it'd make sense for both of them to appear backstage at a WWE event to drive up their pay.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

EDIT: I should have probably put that in spoilers, for some reason I thought it'd been discussed earlier in the thread without but now I'm not so sure...

• Paid Members

Wait... are you telling me "they" wasn't ALWAYS planned to be Road Warrior Animal and The Nasty Boys?? I don't believe that for a second.

• Paid Members
re Chris Jericho...he costs Orton the WWE title....enters the rumble...Orton gets him eliminated...they both make up the numbers in Elimination chamber but neither win...Orton V Jericho at WM 27. Insert 8 weeks of silly tags, face offs, beatdowns and promos at tv and you have a 2 month program. This stuff writes itself really.

I'd do that too except I wouldnt bother having Jericho help Miz beat Orton, he has Riley for that. Just have Jericho come down as a surprise Rumble entrant, declare next night on Raw he's come back for revenge on Orton. Purely because I want to hear the pop when the count down starts during the Rumble.

I'd do that too except I wouldnt bother having Jericho help Miz beat Orton, he has Riley for that. Just have Jericho come down as a surprise Rumble entrant, declare next night on Raw he's come back for revenge on Orton. Purely because I want to hear the pop when the count down starts during the Rumble.

Yeah but Jericho is a heel. He shouldn't be getting pops. Randy Orton should. Plus how dumb would Jericho look, ignoring Orton, the guy who put him out of WWE by kicking his head in, while Orton potentially wins the WWE title - just to show up in the Rumble with no reason, get eliminated and then show up on tv and declare war???

Do you really think that would be better?

I have him cost Orton the biggest belt in the company and get interviewed in the back afterward about how Orton wont ever be champ again but that he will and it begins tonight. Then chuck him in the rumble and have Orton run in and eliminate him.

• Paid Members

I'm assuming the appearance will be a one off shot for at least one of the two, as a quick "reminder" of who they are to WWE fans before they're inducted in the WWE HOF alongside HBK.

Honestly, I'd actually prefer Nash in TNA. He's been friggin' hilarious for them, whereas I don't expect WWE to give him as much freedom with his mic work.

• Paid Members
Yeah but Jericho is a heel. He shouldn't be getting pops.

We can talk about what "should" happen until we're blue in the face. What will happen is if Jericho appears at any point, they will go mental. Just because it's Chris Jericho, and he's awesome. If he costs Randy the title, there be a very mixed reaction. Some will boo because they hate the Miz, but a roughly equal amount will cheer because - holy shit! - it's Chris fucking Jericho.

Remember all those fans chanting for Christian when the ref went down during Jeff v Edge at Royal Rumble '09? They "shouldnt" have been doing that because ostensibly they were chanting for one heel to come down and help another heel win the title from a top babyface. But they did.

Do you really think that would be better?

Not better, no. Not as logical at what you laid out. But I don't want logic. I want big exciting crowd reactions, and I think if they're going to pop for Chris anyway, make the reveal to be his countdown on the screen.

I'm big for the "reveal" being as good as possible.

Again, on paper. I have never felt the day before a Royal Rumble that a more promising one could be upon us. Maybe you have?

Yes, pretty much every other Rumble (and I'm not joking). This year's line-up is piss-poor, and Booker T doesn't help. He was a mid-carder during the majority of his WWE run, and had approximately zero memorable matches. Kevin Nash is a step up, but has still been over-exposed during his career and doesn't have much novelty value anymore.

In fact, the current roster(s) is so bad, that they should've reduced the Rumble by ten men, if anything. Everyone seems to be getting moist about 40 men, but it's only going to water down the value of the Rumble and make each entry less important. What happens next year, 50 entrants? In most years, you get the 30 'cream of the crop' superstars on the current roster; this year, there will be numerous wrestlers who've never even had a PPV match before. In essence, I'm trying to say that I'd rather go for quality, not quantity. The 'surprise' element, which is one of the key factors in making the Rumble so enjoyable, will soon wear thin when you realise that the 'surprise' is in fact yet another faceless jobber in any of the generic factions currently muddying WWE TV.

As somebody pointed out a couple of days back, WWE is more interested in breaking records during the Rumble than in weaving together an entertaining, well-constructed match. Surely the extra ten men is just a gimmick in which Cena breaks Kane's record of most eliminations? Or to create a new record for longest lasting competitor? If/when these do happen, they really don't mean anything, because you can't compare them to the traditional 30-man match; obviously WWE won't mention this. Which is fine, because wrestling isn't real and it's about getting today's talent over, but it's a pretty lousy shortcut. Why not get the talent over by putting them in engaging feuds and creating compelling storylines for them?

Austin owned at the '97 Rumble, and it wasn't because he was in there for four hours, or eliminated 50 other guys single-handedly. It was because he was booked in the right manner in accordance with his character, and the fans reacted accordingly. Tomorrow night, I'm dreading the modern day 'elimination and then generic pushing in the corner' routine that's taken place in recent years. They can't even find a way to book an entertaining 30-man Rumble, how on earth are they going to cater for an extra ten men?

The mind boggles. Still, no doubt R-Truth will do his inaudible rap and Cena will throw out Heath Slater, and everyone will go home happy.

:rolleyes:

You make some fair points so I will concede that it comes down to how you want to watch the show. You are obviously looking for a well crafted, meaningful Rumble match with great in ring action and creative direction. I'm looking for surprise entrants and a forty man clusterfuck. To me arguments like the fact that the match has too many people or the surprise entrants might not be able to pull a five star performance out of their arses are meaningless. My buddy is coming around, I'm paying for PPV for the first time in two years, and I just want to point, laugh and have a bloody good time.

Archived