NGP Vs 3DS

Ron Simmons

Which has impressed you more?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

With the Nintendo 3DS launching on March 25th, with a leaked launch line up of the following (according to GAME):

* Nintendogs + Cats

* Super Monkey Ball 3D

* Asphalt 3D

* Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars

* Super Street Fighter IV 3D

* Rayman 3D

* Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars 3D

* Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D

* Pro Evolution Soccer 3D

Bit of a weak launch line up in my opinion, so much so I've actually cancelled my pre-order. The fact this is launching is also making me waver:

The big announcement is that a portable Uncharted is on the way, which you can watch in action in the video above. Other confirmed games include Wipeout, Killzone, Hot Shots, Resistance, and LittleBigPlanet. And while the number of revealed games may be small, the number of developers working on games is anything but. Joystiq has the rundown of every known NGP developer, and it's a long one. It includes a bunch of heavyweights, like Rockstar, Square Enix, Level 5, EA, Capcom, Sega, Popcap, Activision, and Ubisoft.

But there are also plenty of smaller developers taking on NGP projects as well. These include Capy Games (Critter Crunch), Zen Studios (Marvel Pinball), Firemint (Flight Control), and Q Entertainment (Lumines).

Now, I don't buy the theory that "portable gaming is dead" - it seems to be based on nothing but the fact the iPhone is doing so well. But I'm not convinced the NGP will do brilliantly either (though the 3DS is probably a surefire hit.)

However, I kind of want an NGP, and the potential line-up, and potential for PS3 ports makes it a far more appealing console to me. I'm wondering what do you guys think? What's impressed you more, the 3DS or the NGP?

Depending on finances, I'll probably get the 3DS at launch, even though there are no games for it that I really want. I'm a very frivolous consumer.

If the NGP has a unique LittleBigPlanet game, I'm definitely getting one. I've had a PSP for about a year and nary touched it except to play LBP and the odd game of Fifa 10, which I got for a fiver.

this is the first time I've heard of the NGP and I'm loving it. I'm into the whole inovation and new style of gaming so Ive always beeb wii over PS and Xbox which have (until recently with konnect and play) just been hardware upgrades but the same base device while the wii offered a new form of gaming. I now see the NGP as a new form of gaming using the usual controls along side a touch screen, gyro and a rear touch pad. 3 basic controls inside any modern day phone put together with a gaming controler excits me somewhat.

• Paid Members
Depending on finances, I'll probably get the 3DS at launch, even though there are no games for it that I really want. I'm a very frivolous consumer.

If the NGP has a unique LittleBigPlanet game, I'm definitely getting one. I've had a PSP for about a year and nary touched it except to play LBP and the odd game of Fifa 10, which I got for a fiver.

I actually really like my PSP to be honest, it's the PSone Classics and LittleBigPlanet that swing it for me. Oh, and a quirky little game called Patchwork Heroes (I think) - basically you saw 2D Patchwork battleships in pieces to make them crash before they destroy villages. It's as weird as it is brilliant.

I like my DS too, but I'm not overly impressed by the 3DS lineup so far. A lot of the "hands on" previews seem to dismiss the actual 3D fuction as a gimmick rather than something that enchances gameplay, and other than Paper Mario and the online Nintendo store I don't think there's any 3DS game I actually care about yet.

As for the NGP, I'm cautiously optimistic. If it's the same price as the 3DS I'm definitely getting it. If I had the money to be frivilous I'd get both, but seeing I'm a skint student it's a straight choice between I'm afraid.

• Paid Members

My daughter broke my DS last week, so I'm going to have to get a new one- so makes sense to get the 3DS. I'm going to have to get it at some point anyway, for Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 3D- plus Pokemon comes out in March.

• Paid Members

I'd never heard of the NGP until I saw this thread, but having seen the video I'm not convinced that it's anything special, it's essentially a PSP with touchscreen and gyro techonology. I don't think it's really offering anything new, although the games will no doubt be better than anything that smartphones could offer.

I am much more intrigued by the technology on offer with the 3DS, but will have to see it for myself before deciding if it's worth having. I reckon the 3D effect will either look shit, or will just do my eyes in.

As for the NGP, I'm cautiously optimistic. If it's the same price as the 3DS I'm definitely getting it. If I had the money to be frivilous I'd get both, but seeing I'm a skint student it's a straight choice between I'm afraid.

If I was still a student, I'd definitely get both. 3DS with the Easter loan instalment, and it'll probably be another year (or Christmas at the earliest) before the NGP is out.

• Paid Members

If I was still a student, I'd definitely get both. 3DS with the Easter loan instalment, and it'll probably be another year (or Christmas at the earliest) before the NGP is out.

Postgrad student, I'm afraid, with no loan support to speak of. I just bend over and take it every time money gets pulled from my account.

But a decent call all the same. I'm definitely getting an NGP if there are an endless stream of PS3 ports, the thought of a portable Fallout game is too good to miss out on. Ditto for LBP and Uncharted.

The NGP it is, for me. I generally prefer straight up gaming over gimmick fanwankerry and none of Nintendo's franchise property really interest me all that much. The NGP can pretty much run PS3 software and Guns Of The Patriots was running real time on it at Sony's press shindig as a tech demo. That's amazing and quite scary. The European PlayStation store is a load of balls right now but within five years the prospect of all three generations of Sony's biggest and best being playable between the home console and the handheld is something to get wet about, IMO.

I'd never heard of the NGP until I saw this thread, but having seen the video I'm not convinced that it's anything special, it's essentially a PSP with touchscreen and gyro techonology. I don't think it's really offering anything new, although the games will no doubt be better than anything that smartphones could offer.

I am much more intrigued by the technology on offer with the 3DS, but will have to see it for myself before deciding if it's worth having. I reckon the 3D effect will either look shit, or will just do my eyes in.

The psp2 is way more powerful than the psp - it's not just some additional input thingys. It's capable of running ps3 esque games. But as far as new ideas the back touchscreen is pretty neat and has some cool potential

I want a handheld for handheld games, my PSP was only ever used indoors as none of the (sometimes great) games were suited to being played on the move so i'm going with the 3DS and probably get an NGP a few years down the line to play any AAA titles that are released on it.

Archived