WWE Raw 24/1/11 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

So Raw tonight, the last before the Royal Rumble, and the last one before WWE starts what is usually the most exciting few months in thier calendar - the Road to Wrestlemania!

Confirmed for Raw tonight;

WWE Champion The Miz vs World Heavyweight Champion Edge

Other things of interest, who is the 'New Nexus' newest member? Will he be called Mason Ryan and what will he do on Raw?

Will any other matches be announced for the Royal Rumble?

and will thier be any more participants announced for the epic 40 man Royal Rumble match?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Why not? "Mason Ryan" is every bit as bland and generic as "Justin Gabriel" or "Heath Slater." Plus from what I can tell most FCW call-ups keep their assigned name. Looks like they called him that on a house show yesterday.

Do you know what, if the Rumble is going to be as epic as it could be, with 57 minutes just between the bell ringing and number 40 entering, not including entrances of 1 and 2 and however long the ending stretch lasts, I'd say you want one more match and that's it. Something sparky but midcard to start the show, arguably leaving enough time for those talents to double-up in the Rumble if needs be, because I'm not fond of opening on a World title match. Maybe a Daniel Bryan defence or possibly even Santino/Kozlov. They never fail to get a reaction. I'd say throw out some Divas crap, but that's mean since no one in the crowd will need a piss so soon.

Screw it, because they had a tidy match last time and havent done it on PPV with a good amount of time, I'd go Bryan v JoMo for opens. Then Edge, then Miz, then RUMBLE.

Also, kudos to Barratt for saying he will win "the Royal Rumble" rather than "the Royal Rumble match." Duh, we're all spackers and can't figure out when you're talking about the show or the match itself, it needs to be explicit. Always fucking does my nut, especially when they've started saying "Royal Rumble event" or "Royal Rumble pay per view." We're not all dribbling spastics!

I sure hope they don't announce EVERY participant leaving us no scope to be shocked by HHH surprise entrants.

As for Miz/Edge, I would mark out if Orton does help Edge win.

this may be the worst Raw of all time.

I strongly object.

The Bryan/Bella/Gail segment is one of the funniest pieces of justice I've seen in a while.

And I know WWE are risking overexposure but I cannot stop enjoying just about everything Del Rio does, the guy is pure entertainment on and off the mic.

• Paid Members

Wasn't a bad show, just a bit silly. When they announced the battle for #40 at the beginning and then 3 jabroni's jogged down, I knew Edge would win. I'm glad he did because i hate anyone been given a number before the show. Then when they announced that either Corre or Nexus is out of the Rumble, I saw another screwjob coming. Very silly to announce stips and then not adhere to them.

The rest was OK. Hopefully the Bryan/Kim thing is just a ruse to get rid of the Bella's. Miz was on form, Cena showed that he's got the best delivery in the world and the worst material. Mason Ryan looks great but looked uncomfortable running. Looks like another dire welsh big man has arrived.

Absolutely loved the little kid with the "You can't see me" sign with a hole in it and his head stuck through it. I wish I loved wrestling enough to stand with my head through a sign for 2 hours.

This will probably cause "King Pitcos" to jump off a bridge but I want to see Cena vs. Orton main event WM. It's the one worthy match they've got. The new dynamic is enough for me to forget that they've fought 900 times before.

I like your enthusiasm Rick, but ...

Cena showed that he's got the best delivery in the world

:omg:

My only thoughts on the show (admittedly just from reading Todd Martin's report) is that while we all know 20 - 25 guys in the Rumble each year have no chance of winning it, I still hate to see a few them made to look completely worthless in the shows running up to the ppv like Swagger, McIntyre, etc. did last night.

• Paid Members
I like your enthusiasm Rick, but ...

Cena showed that he's got the best delivery in the world

:omg:

i'm serious. If you look at the promo he cut when he was supposedly fired, the promo the other week on CM Punk and the bits of the one last night, it shows that he's the best promo guy in (english speaking) pro-wrestling. There is no-one better, IMO. The material is horrendous though, consistently horrendous.

I admit I haven't seen the promos you mentioned.

But the main reason I stopped watching Raw last year was because of the angles and matches Cena was involved in, and his transitions from jokey/pulling faces to shouting/being ultra-serious and back again were high up on the list of things I disliked.

There is only so much anyone can do with crappy dialogue but I remember the headliners of the past easily pulling off getting comedy and seriousness in the same promo, because of their excellent delivery.

CM Punk was the best talker in the company last year imo when being the weird cult leader until the SES was disbanded, and from what I've read he is back to his best now in the same role with Nexus.

• Paid Members

speaking of the rumble, what do people think of entrants going in? Ive done a quick head count and (not including any divas or wwe/world champions) WWE has 53 wrestlers, although that is including the injured guys (Bourne/goldust/HHH) and others like Joey mecury/Finlay etc.

So Full of jobbers? As to be fair if you cut out most of the superstars lot/injured/other that brigns it down a fair bit......although does that then mean no suprises also?

Mason Ryan spoke Welsh, so it was actually the greatest Raw of all time.

What did he say? Curious as I've never heard Rob Mawr siarad Cymraeg.

'Geith Cm Punk ddim ei colliant' (I think... I'm Southern so this is like the Welsh equivalent of a Londoner trying to understand Glaswegian) - 'CM Punk will not be eliminated'

He pretty much fucked up that line in Welsh but it was still awesome.

Archived