WWE Raw 24/1/11 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

If he'd debuted and spent his time losing to Christian on Smackdown and beating JTG on Superstars, he wouldn't have shone.

But you and others say that like it's a criticism of Del Rio when, in fact, it's down to simple booking isn't it?

Of course if you debut someone with such shit treatment then it's likely they'll fail.

Has the booking helped him? Absolutely, but why shouldn't it? He's very deserving to be in that spot.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he'd debuted and spent his time losing to Christian on Smackdown and beating JTG on Superstars, he wouldn't have shone.

But you and others say that like it's a criticism of Del Rio when, in fact, it's down to simple booking isn't it?

Of course if you debut someone with such shit treatment then it's likely they'll fail.

Has the booking helped him? Absolutely, but why shouldn't it? He's very deserving to be in that spot.

I'm not criticising him at all. As I said, he's absolutely lived up to the role. But the support of the creative team is a huge part of why we've all taken note of him and been impressed.

For me it's simple. Del Rio gives me the feeling of a smug twat who's grinning face I want to violence with half a brick in a sock. He's doing his job.

But admittedly he's been packaged well, right down to the entrance, the announcer, hell even his music. It all gives hype to the idea of this aristocratic character who truly believes he's destined for greatness.

Then he takes the gimmick and pulls it off, he makes it believable.

And he actually has the ability to wrestle a decent match without screwing it up, Morrison vs Del Rio on Smackdown a few months ago was a good 5 min match from what I remember.

• Paid Members

The only time I've not enjoyed Del Rio was when he first turned up on Raw. Someone decided that the WWE Universe watch both Raw and Smackdown so there was no reason to indroduce him. As a result, he said "My name is Alberto Del Rio but you, you already know that" and the entire arena shrugged and shook their heads. That lack of reaction was uncomfortable.

He took a beauty of a superkick from HBK the other week. What a guy.

• Paid Members

He was leaning forward giving his signature wink in a big, exaggerating, smug, mocking way. Yeah, it didn't come off as well as it could because you didn't really catch the wink and it seemed like he was simply presenting his chin for Michaels. Mickey Cole did put over that he was giving the wink during the replay though.

Archived