WWE Raw 24/1/11 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forgot to mention but did anyone see Michael Tarver leaning against the wall during the Bella promo, he looked at them shook his head and walked off.

Pretty pointless but just as strange after popping up in SD last week.

They cut to him watching backstage during the Sheamus tag match as well, and noted that it was strange that he's lurking about.

Speaking of The Corre, how much of a twat did Barrett look when he told the world that he respected Cena then Cena refused to count his pinfalls in the Punk/Barrett match.

I don't think he was being sincere. His new gimmick is that he's pretending to be some kind of smarmy hippie ("Hey, we're all equal now. I respect you. We're here to make your life easier, Teddy, peace dude.") but Cena wasn't buying it.

Also, Del Rio is still the drizzling shits.

Big fat hairy bollocks.

He's an absolute bore though. I've watched his matches and tried to be as objective as possible about him but he genuinely bores me to tears. Someone once mentioned that he has good facial expressions, Del Rio has exactly two; smug and angry, if you've watched nothing but Cena and Orton then I guess watching someone with two facial expressions might be considered impressive, but not to me. Somebody somewhere evidently feels that he has potential but I just don't see it, if he hadn't received the JBL treatment and was instantly put against Rey Mysterio I can't see why anyone would care about him. Anyone can get crowd reactions when they're in a match against Mysterio.

Then again it took Sheamus over a year to have one good match so maybe someday Del Rio will do something that I can actually enjoy too.

Del Rio has had solid matches consistently since he started, so I don't really know what your problem is with him.

As for counting the number of facial expressions he has - seriously? How many does he need to have before he's considered good? He does what he SHOULD be doing as a cocky, arrogant, egotistical heel and he does it very well.

I certainly wouldn't put everything down to Mysterio. Not in the slightest.

Del Rio is a great wrestler, especially compared to 99% of the other "new" wrestlers in the WWE in the past few years. Apart from Bryan and Kaval and a few others, most of the newer wrestlers are straight out of developmental and all wrestle the same with no personality about them. Del Rio is a much travelled, much experienced Wrestler, and he has a superb personality.

I've watched him whenever he's appeared on Raw or on a PPV event I've watched and have hated every tedius minute he's been on my screen. As I said previously I gave him a fair chance but I absolutely detest him and find him a chore to watch. People seem to like him, I just don't see why.

The trouble with comparing Del Rio to a lot of other newcomers to the company is the Del Rio was given a clearly defined character, he's a successful self-made Mexican aristocrat, there's nothing particularly challenging about that role. The difference between him and, say, Kaval is that Kaval didn't have a specific role to play, Kaval can only be the tough underdog while Del Rio can push his character as far as he likes because he understands who his character is and what he wants to accomplish.

• Paid Members

They should feed him small folk every week. Hawkins and Tyson Kidd and that one off the Dudebusters who's not sacked.

And a returning Evan Bourne, and Kaval.

He gone.

The trouble with comparing Del Rio to a lot of other newcomers to the company is the Del Rio was given a clearly defined character, he's a successful self-made Mexican aristocrat, there's nothing particularly challenging about that role. The difference between him and, say, Kaval is that Kaval didn't have a specific role to play, Kaval can only be the tough underdog while Del Rio can push his character as far as he likes because he understands who his character is and what he wants to accomplish.

So is it the gimmick you don't like? You say it's "not challenging" so does that mean he's being held back by it or what? I'm confused.

He plays the role to perfection really, and I don't see how that's something to criticise him over.

• Paid Members
I fully expect Ryan's first port of call to be to cost Santino and Koslov the Tag Titles against New Nexus this Sunday if they are defended.

Put the belts on Punk & Ryan. Let Punk do all the talking, let Ryan decimate what passes for a tag team division while the general takes in to steal the pin with an unnecessary Go To Sleep on an already battered foe. Would help build the hate if they were waving around some shiny belts, would make said belts seem to mean something if they adorned the "unstoppable Nexus" at least until after Mania.

I like your enthusiasm Rick, but ...

Cena showed that he's got the best delivery in the world

:omg:

i'm serious. If you look at the promo he cut when he was supposedly fired, the promo the other week on CM Punk and the bits of the one last night, it shows that he's the best promo guy in (english speaking) pro-wrestling. There is no-one better, IMO. The material is horrendous though, consistently horrendous.

He has experience with making it work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmP3JktUOx8

I think Cena's a charismatic guy.

Del Rio hate seems to be the new Cena hate.

On here? Or in general?

If its the former I haven't seen much of it.

I like your enthusiasm Rick, but ...

Cena showed that he's got the best delivery in the world

:omg:

i'm serious. If you look at the promo he cut when he was supposedly fired, the promo the other week on CM Punk and the bits of the one last night, it shows that he's the best promo guy in (english speaking) pro-wrestling. There is no-one better, IMO. The material is horrendous though, consistently horrendous.

He has experience with making it work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmP3JktUOx8

I think Cena's a charismatic guy.

Del Rio hate seems to be the new Cena hate.

On here? Or in general?

If its the former I haven't seen much of it.

Aye there is a wee bit of Del Rio hate going round, I wouldn't say its the same as Cena hate, most people just have an honest opinion of Del Rio, which is fair enough as I find him hit and miss so far. His hate is in no way ridiculous or consistent as the Cena hate though!

I'm no Del Rio fan, he bores me.

However, it's blatantly obvious that he's a cut above most other folks that have come down the line in the last couple of years, so to say he's 'the drizzling shits' is way off of the mark.

I think Del Rio's a bit of a throwback to the sort of characters we watched as kids. He's got the ring announcer, the car, the brash entrance... You completely get what he's all about the first time you watch him. He's very grandiose and reminiscent of that old-school heel, in a way that JBL never was for me (probably because I had been watching JBL through the Hawk/APA days).

But the hater fella is right that Del Rio has benefitted from his given character and push in ways that most of the "My name is ________ and I love to bland" newcomers never had the chance to. On top of the things I mentioned above, he beat Rey Mysterio on his first night, by submission no less. He's been presented as a big deal right from the off, and he has lived up to it. If he'd debuted and spent his time losing to Christian on Smackdown and beating JTG on Superstars, he wouldn't have shone.

Archived