Stuff you learned from Films and TV

King Pitcos

• Paid Members
Car doors are not bulletproof.

fairly bulletproof though

Not at all, might stop a BB gun or air rifle but bothing bigger. Cars are surprisingly little use as bullet shields, only the engine block.

They'll stop a 5.56mm from an SA80 at a range of 100m

Thats concerningly accurate...

I'm a Firearms Instructor, it's part of my job ... ish.

Off topic but having watched Blackadder the Third, there attention to the madness of King George was very accurate. The first sign of his madness was the fact he couldn't stop finishing sentences with the word 'penguin' and he proposed to an oak tree. But he didn't wander around asking his son to marry rosebushes (although I think he did ask the Prince Regent to marry a plant of some kind) he was locked in a tower for alot of his long reign.

Also the Prince Regent was fantasticly extravagant spending thousands on socks and perfume, but the real Prince Regent was in his 40s when he took control.

And women don't care whats on the inside unless it's a vibrating egg.

• Paid Members
Car doors are not bulletproof.

fairly bulletproof though

Not at all, might stop a BB gun or air rifle but bothing bigger. Cars are surprisingly little use as bullet shields, only the engine block.

They'll stop a 5.56mm from an SA80 at a range of 100m

Thats concerningly accurate...

I'm a Firearms Instructor, it's part of my job ... ish.

In fairness isnt 5.56mm generally considered shit between 50 and 100 meters as far as penetration goes?

• Paid Members

Not quite learned from a film, but wrongly interpreted by a friend. In Hackers, where Phantom Freak is in prison, he hangs up the phone and dials a number by tapping the receiver a number of times to represent a number, pausing, then tapping the next number and so on. Eventually once completed he ends up dialling a number by tapping the receiver. When I was about 14 my friend told me that doing this resulted in a free call, so I tried it. Lo and behold, it worked! Well, it dialled the number- but the call wasn't free. I didn't realise this until my Mum got an

• Paid Members
Off topic but having watched Blackadder the Third, there attention to the madness of King George was very accurate. The first sign of his madness was the fact he couldn't stop finishing sentences with the word 'penguin' and he proposed to an oak tree. But he didn't wander around asking his son to marry rosebushes (although I think he did ask the Prince Regent to marry a plant of some kind) he was locked in a tower for alot of his long reign.

Also the Prince Regent was fantasticly extravagant spending thousands on socks and perfume, but the real Prince Regent was in his 40s when he took control.

They still make fat jokes at the prince regent at times despite the fact Hugh Laurie is very thin, which I've been led to believe is a sort of in History joke.

Archived