Music News Thread: New Velvet Revolver Singer?

Egg Shen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shouldn't be Myles Kennedy, he's got enough projects going on, however I know he and Slash are tight as fuck these days so you never know. I'm firmly in the camp that Myles Kennedy can make any music sound good, even if I'm not Velvet Revolvers biggest fans I'd certainly give their new stuff if Kennedy is on vocals a long long listen.

• Paid Members

Now watching the Glasto set back I see what you're getting at.

Never noticed that in any of his Alter Bridge gigs. Maybe an instruction from the Slash band management?

As I said before Koco, he is not the new Velvet Revolver frontman. Slash has confirmed that he isn't and that Slash & Myles are doing their own album together. I think it is titled "Bromance".

• Paid Members

thing is the showmanship type stuff a frontman does comes off much better live and in person than watching it back...it's more a case of letting the audience sing, crowd participation and all that shit.

• Paid Members
after slash's download set last year, Myles Kennedy to me proved that guns n roses will never return because shits axl for breakfast these days.

Have you seen any recent GnR gigs? Not bad for a man in his late forties who has to constantly sing such a challenging set each concert.

The reason Myles' may have the better quality of voice at the moment is that he is both younger and hasn't had 25 years of having to sing Guns n Roses songs. Over the last 20 years Myles Kennedy has been able to save his voice by singing soul music and jazz for a good part of his career.

He can hit those very high notes, but you rarely hear them live, where as with Guns n Roses, Axl is hitting those notes to the best of his ability, which might I add, are nigh on perfect on this tour.

So on a whole, Myles Kennedy and Axl Rose are completely different singers, who have been singing completely different songs over the course of the last 20/25 years. The Slash Band will never ever trump a potential 88-93 Guns n Roses reunion. However, I must admit, Fortus, Ashba and Bumblefoot along with Stinson and Frank Ferrer more than hold their own. I don't think it would benefit the music. Just more of the novelty factor. I am more than happy with the current Guns n Roses line up.

• Paid Members
after slash's download set last year, Myles Kennedy to me proved that guns n roses will never return because shits axl for breakfast these days.

It was a great set but he didn't do the GnR songs as well as Axl. Kennedy just didn't sound believable singing them, the Metal Hammer boys put it best...'Myles, you're not on the Night-Train. You're backstage drinking green tea'.

Have you seen any recent GnR gigs? Not bad for a man in his late forties who has to constantly sing such a challenging set each concert.

The reason Myles' may have the better quality of voice at the moment is that he is both younger and hasn't had 25 years of having to sing Guns n Roses songs. Over the last 20 years Myles Kennedy has been able to save his voice by singing soul music and jazz for a good part of his career.

He can hit those very high notes, but you rarely hear them live, where as with Guns n Roses, Axl is hitting those notes to the best of his ability, which might I add, are nigh on perfect on this tour.

So on a whole, Myles Kennedy and Axl Rose are completely different singers, who have been singing completely different songs over the course of the last 20/25 years. The Slash Band will never ever trump a potential 88-93 Guns n Roses reunion. However, I must admit, Fortus, Ashba and Bumblefoot along with Stinson and Frank Ferrer more than hold their own. I don't think it would benefit the music. Just more of the novelty factor. I am more than happy with the current Guns n Roses line up.

I agree.

I have most of GNR 2010 shows on DVD and I must say his voice got better the longer the tour went.

Being a huge Axl fan. I think Richard Fortus, DJ Ashba, Ron Thal Tommy Stinson and Frank Ferrer are musically better than the old band.

• Paid Members

Probably not someone most of you would have heard of, but Broadcast lead singer Trish Keenan has died of swine flu just this morning:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-12194530

The singer in Birmingham electro-pop group Broadcast has died of pneumonia.

Trish Keenan died in hospital at 0900 GMT following pneumonia-related health complications, her record label said.

The band had been touring in Australia and Singapore before Christmas when Ms Keenan contracted the swine flu virus.

A statement from Warp Records said: "This is an untimely, tragic loss and we will miss Trish dearly - a unique voice, an extraordinary talent and a beautiful human being. Rest in peace."

The band's latest album, Broadcast & The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age, was released in 2009.

Broadcast was formed by Ms Keenan and bassist James Cargill in south Birmingham in 1995.

The AP news agency said the singer was 42 when she died.

I'm really sad about this, I've been a fan of Broadcast for over a decade, and The Noise Made By People is an absolutely wonderful album. RIP.

taken from wikipedia

Rammstein bassist Oliver Riedel stated in a interview in Montreal that in April 2011, the band will release the first volume of their "Greatest Hits" along with unreleased tracks. In the same interview he also stated there will be a new live DVD coming out, with concert footage from the sold out New York and Montreal concerts.

• Paid Members

Guns N' Roses reject Glee.....

BBC Clicky

Guns N' Roses turned down a request to use their music in an episode of Glee, says former guitarist Slash.

The musician told Entertainment Weekly the band had been asked, but refused.

Not pulling any punches he admitted: "We got asked about that once already but it got turned down. I draw the line at Glee.

"Glee is worse than Grease and Grease is bad enough. I look at Grease now and think, 'Between High School Musical and Glee, Grease was a work of art.'"

Slash left Guns N' Roses in 1996 after disagreements with Axl Rose, but still admits the singer is one of the best frontmen of all time.

He said: "We may have had our differences and this and that and the other, but I will never undermine the fact that I thought Guns N' Roses, when it was originally together, was one of the best rock bands.

"Axl has always in my mind been one of the best frontmen/lyricists in rock and roll, period."

The 45-year-old, whose image appears in Guitar Hero 3, is supporting Ozzy Osbourne at the moment on his US tour.

Shows that some people have pride in their past work and it isn't always about the money.....

Archived