SOUTHSIDE present - 5TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW - 24th OCT - STEVENAGE

Southside crew

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ok guys some last minute news for SWE present SEASONS BEATINGS feat Nigel McGuinness aka Desmond Wolfe ! We are sad to say that due to injury Joel Redman has had to pull out of the show however we have found at top class replacement ! We welcome back Dave Mastiff who had an incredible match with Jonny Storm at the Anniversary show - beating him in one of the best matches ever seen in a Southside ring ! T-Bone's belt will still be up for grabs !!!!!! Nigel McGuinness will still be making his final ever appearance wrestling in the UK and Rockstar Spud is still being forced to wrestle Mad Man Manson - see you all in 21 hours :)

Sadly had to leave the show at the intermission, but the first half was overall pretty good. The only downer was Nikki Storm V Rocamora. Nikki was fantastic ,she's a heat magnet, however Rocamora not so much which is a shame. Still looks a bit green to me- hopefully something she can improve on in time.

McGuinness was magnificent and Kirby stood up well. Not sure about the skinhead though...

Cheers to Ben & the family for putting on a great show. See you in February!

The only downer was Nikki Storm V Rocamora. Nikki was fantastic ,she's a heat magnet, however Rocamora not so much which is a shame. Still looks a bit green to me- hopefully something she can improve on in time.

It was her Eve debut so I don't know if it was nerves. I don't think she's been wrestling too long tbh. I thought she did OK though, she certainly benefited from having Nikki in there with her.

Spyral & Robbie X vs The Predators - This was a solid opener with 3 of the 4 participants being products of the House of Pain academy in Nottingham. The predators are as good at being heel's that i have ever witnessed on this island. They really work the crowd into a frenzy and both look like guys who would hit on your other half whilst she is standing next to you. This match had Spyral selling well and Robbie X delivering some nice athletic moves. Eventually the predators picked up the win with their finisher. Robbie X and Spyral teased dissension after the match. (Robbie X needs a mask and Spyral needs some new attire as his current ones are always falling down).

Stixx vs El ligero - These are 2 of the most competent and consistent workers in the UK. and this match delivered. Prior to the bout, stixx put his hat on a little girl at ring side who seemed genuinely happy to recieve it. They had a straight wrestling match initially before a breathtaking move where stixx ran into the post between turn buckles had ligero jump to the apron and dropkick him. This riled Stixx who then was a bit more brutish but was fighting with himself on whether to win fairly or to cheat. In the end, he snapped and started bashing Ligero's leg into ring post and on to apron. He then worked it over before making ligero tap to a half boston crab that he held for a long time. Following this he walked past the little girl and snatched his hat back that made her look a bit upset from where i was sitting. However the problem with this assumed heel turn is the Nottingham crowd would not Boo Stixx as he is one of them and they all like him too much.

Nikki Storm vs Holly Rocmora - Nikki carries herself really well and plays a heel character brilliantly. Holly doesn't seem to be ideal for a dastardly heel or sympathetic babyface role. She has a manly body with a pretty face and it doesn't really work. Storm carried her to just under a average match by woman's standards.Holly is also very limited and sloppy, and botched the finish somewhat. Nikki storm grabbed the win with a running turnbuckle twisting Bulldog.

• Paid Members

I thought the swiping the hat back from the girl at the end was a brilliant touch, but you're right, I can't see that crwod ever booing Stixx.

The women's match was shite, went on far too long. Nikki is a great heel...until the bell rings. Holly didn't look much cop either.

Nigel Mcguinness vs Martin Kirby - This was the one many of the crowd had been waiting for and it didn't disappoint. Kirby's bald new look is far better than his bald patch head of hair. Nigel came out to fucking in the bushes, thank god. This match was very technical and fluent. Nigel seemed to be having fun in there, even mingling with the fans during the match. Kirby kicked out of a tower of london. The finish came after a brilliant exchange on the floor where there were several 2 counts. We didn't get to see any Lariat's, and even this version of Nigel showed us what he once had. just looking at him you knew he had what it took to have been at the top. Star Quality, and i truly hope he make one off appearances on these shore's again.

There was then an interval where fans had a photo with nigel in the ring. He shook everyone's hand and had a brief chat to all. Even the one's i was looking at thinking they haven't washed for weeks. Unfortunately i was too skint to afford one, even though i wanted one bad. I get paid the day before xmas. great timing. Following this he made his way over to the merchandise stand. My girlfriend went over to tell him she has only watched wrestling for a year and based on what she saw she wished she had been watching a lot longer. Funnily she came back surprised that he was a gentleman and went on about misconceptions we have about celeb's.

Val Kabious vs Mason

Well mason was shite. Val done well, drew good heat and even got some sympathy for this guy. But the guy was sloppy, must have made about 8 botches. MVK excudes star quality. So athletic aswell and even hit a top rope moonsault at one point. He won with a vicious looking super kick and returned to the ring and gave the upstart a hand shake to try put him over. He needn't have. Nothing will get this guy over.

Mad Man Manson vs Rockstar Spud

The funniest thing ive seen in my life. And ive seen lee evans live twice in front row. This was fantastic and i dont think anyone in the crowd wasn't laughing. The dancing sequence was brilliantly done, the santa bit at the end was fantastic and even the little ring action we had was solid. Word's cannot do this justice

T-bone vs Mastiff

A very stiff hard hitting contest that was a worthy headline match. Mastiff really is good for a man of his size. This match delivered. But the problem is i don't remember much of it other than T-bone attempting to lift mastiff and then getting crushed. I attribute it being forgetful to the fact that it followed spud and manson. and the fact my girlfriend was telling me to go talk to Mcguinness who was at his merchandise stand. she said he was there by himself etc.

Other notes: Spud gave me dirty looks all day, and even blanked me in the toilet. I think he was gutted when he realised that im friends with the venue's owner and Stixx.

Overall the show was excellent and throughly enjoyable. For the price, it was a no brainer and anyone who didn't go will have missed out. The admission was worth spud vs manson alone.

• Paid Members

I bought a ticket just of the concept of seeing McGuinness, him being one of the few ROH names I actually enjoyed seeing, one of the first handful of names I knew were worth driving to see in UK when I first started going to shows and, well, its McGuinness isn't it.

The match was good fun and nice to see. Kirby doesn't really do it for me, not to long ago I used to really enjoy seeing him but just lately I just can't get behind him one way or another, he's there and he's impressive in what he does I just can't invest or connect with him some how, I don't know what's any different.

The tag was spectacular, one of the best matches on the show from my seat and I really got behind Robbie and Shane to overcome the challenge and win. There's something about The Predators that seems to really click, really do it some how. On a small aside there's a subtle underlying thing on how Malen says things that makes everything slightly better.

Ligero and Stixx was amazing, really enjoyable match, which isn't a shock at all. I enjoyed the story and I really got into it.

I don't really like women's wrestling enough to go see a whole show of it, so EVE never appeals to me. I don't really know why, its just doesn't do it for me and is one of the very few areas of wrestling I don't really get anything out of. I do enjoy a women's match on a show if its done well and very few seem to do it better than Nikki.

I don't think I have ever seen her have a bad match no matter who she was with, she always gets a great response and makes me care about what's going on and everything looks ace. Holly was all right but if I'm honest will just fall into the back of my mind with lots of other women I've seen on shows who were all right. So yeah, I enjoyed the match and Nikki is cosmic. It did seem a bit long mind, which will be a some what recurring theme.

I enjoyed Val more than last time, Still doesn't quite live up to the hype some how but I enjoyed this, perhaps because it was more one sided. The other chap was all right, whatever he was doing in the corner was rubbish though, whatever it was.

Manson and Spud was fun but felt like it went on too long, a vibe of the show over all if I'm frank. I really enjoy Manson and was looking forward to it but there was a large chunk in the middle I was just praying for it to just get to where it was going because the road was wearing thin which was a shame.

I think I enjoyed the main more having Mastiff there as I love him. The blokes amazing, just amazing. T-Bone is class, the match was good fun. The only down side was I was burnt out and it felt like I wasn't alone. Under different circumstances I'd be waxing lyrical but as is I enjoyed it, and it was a very good match, but was some what relieved when it was over so I could get going.

• Paid Members

Hey guys , I won't be doing a full review of my thoughts till tomorrow however I would like to point out that Mason is currently in hospital as he dislocated his shoulder right at the beginning of the match so maybe guys give him a pass this time.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far

Another really good Southside show in their second Nottingham based appearence. Not a bad sized crowd came out for Nigel's last ever match in England, I'd estimate around five full long rows of seats in an L shape around the ring, but seen as I'm bad at numbers if I were to hazard a figure I'd most likely be wrong anyways.The show got off to a good start with Predators vs Robbie/Spyral. The younger team had the advantage in the very beginning of the match, but things quickly turned into the favour of the Predators when they caught Spyral on the top rope, looked likely to perform a double team hip-toss across the ring, but instead caught hold of his legs when they flipped him over and then brought him down into a BRUTAL back breaker using a knee each from both Predators. After which was an extended beat down on Spyral as they continued to work the back, cutting off several comeback attempts, until Robbie eventually got the hot tag. And in Robbie's flurry of offense against the Predators, flying off the top rope with a double drop kick onto both, avoiding Malen/Connors every time they attempted to whip him into a turn buckle or charge at him, Robbie really did remind me of a young PAC with his flips and spins and how fluid and natural he looked. This really was a lighter and smaller wrestler using his advantages in a smart and restrained way as he really has come on in leaps and bounds over the past few years and I'd love to see him matches up against some of the hotly tipped cruiserweights on the scene right now like Mark Andrews and MK McKinnon to show his progression. But The Predators ultimately got the win with another brutal double team move as they both held up Spyral back first against their shoulders, then dropped down to their knees meaning it was a neck AND backbreaker combo. Really impressive move that ended a good match. I wouldn't mind seeing Robbie continue his quest to defeat the Predators. Seen as he's failed twice now with a cruiserweight partner, maybe adding a heavyweight's power to the mix will be the key for third time lucky?Ligero vs Stixx was really good. Just a simple story told extremely well by two talented wrestlers. Both men were well loved by the crowd as the duel chanting showed, and both knew each very well as they had an extended sequence were both managed to avoid each others big moves. With Ligero on Stixx's shoulders and attempting a victory roll only for Stixx to power him back up, Ligero took advantages of the ropes being nearby, Stixx not having time to lift him back up as Ligero grabbed hold of the ropes and Stixx went tumbling out of the ring down onto the floor. It was still face vs face at that point, as Stixx held the ropes for Ligero to come back in. Ultimately it all stepped up when Stixx charged Ligero in the turnbuckle, but went shoulder first straight into the ring post. Ligero took advantage by quickly hopping onto the ring apron and then dropkicking Stixx in the face. Stixx took an affront to that, shoving him and questioning why Ligs would take advantage like that. The match ticked over, showing a frustrated Stixx simmering, and when Ligero later held the ropes open for Stixx, Stixx attacked Ligero's knee. From there it was a constant assault as Stixx continiously went back to working the knee as Ligs hobbled on the one leg, his speed and agility severely hampered as he attempted comebacks but was only cut short with another shot to the knee. Stixx was brutal in his assault. He dropped Ligero knee first on the ring apron. He clotheslined his knee from out of him as Ligero went tumbling face first down onto the ring apron. When Ligero attempted a c4L or some other rope assisted move, Stixx was right behind him to clothesline his knee out. The match took a turn when Stixx had Ligero prone to slam his knee into the ring post, but elected not too after the fans encouragement. But later in the match when Stixx had gone above and beyond to decimate Ligero's knee, there was no hesitation the second time as Stixx went past the point of no return and was full blown heel from that point forward and got the win with a third or fouth single leg boston crab. To fully cement the heel turn, he ripped off the beanie from the young girls head he gave out pre-match. A very well done wrestling match, restrained and simple but it really worked.I have to agree with everyone so far who has said the EVE match went too long and Holly's obvious lack of experience shone through. Nikki is an amazing heat magnet, and lead Holly though the match, punishing her all the way. Holly did seem overly hesistant and clumsy in her wrestling, but there is some potential there. She has a great look and got some good face heat, that mainly was the result from how badly the crowd hated Nikki and how much of a beating Nikki gave Holly. Seriously, she really clubbered her with forearms right down onto the back. Don't know if that was legit frustration, or that was the intention to help give Holly more sympathy and suppport. At one point, Holly hit a DDT that looked to have Nikki genuinely clutching her neck, she took a while to get back to her feet as Holly had to stand there on the second rope, and then Nikki really pelted her with forearms when she got up. Nikki eventually got the win with a camel clutch variation. Not a bad match, just overly long and really exposed Holly's inexperience and flaws. But like I said, there is potential there down the line. And I've really enjoyed the Nikki Storm matches I've seen so I hope to see more of her. I'd rank her up there with Jenny and April, both of which I rate highly.And then the match that I'm sure I and a lot of the crowd due to their overwhelming support had paid to see, Nigel McGuinness' last ever match in England. Nigel did indeed come out to Fuckin In The Bushes so that's a win in my book and looked to be genuinely touched by the fans support. Like I've maintained, I didn't know quite what to expect from this match, so wasn't surprised to see the two trade hammerlocks and have a technical wrestling match in the early going, Nigel having the advantage for the most part being the one most well travelled with the style, and really played up to the crowds support. Much like Stixx before him but nowhere to the same level, Kirby embraced his rudo side slightly as he cheap shotted Nigel with a few elbows to the crowds disapproval. I already knew not to expect any lariats from Nigel, so was surprised to see Kirby be the one to provide all the european uppercuts in this one. Also more surprised to not see any London Dungeons, but Nigel was instead working on the Crossface and the LaBelle Lock(!!) strangely enough. Just a really good wrestling match, both worked hard, although it's plain to see why Nigel is retiring with his matches being more toned down, scientific chain wrestling affairs than all the hard hitting affairs he'd become known for during his ROH World Title reign. Nigel at his most basic is still better than most wrestlers, and Kirby, with this being Nigel's last match, let Nigel control the majority but got to show his own talents and looked really comfortable in the ring with so much pressure on the shoulders of both men. In the end the crowd got what they wanted as Nigel ended up victarious after a series of pinning combinations, and got to leave England with a W. And I will miss him :(MVK was a lot more impressive in this match than he usually is. I've always said he's got the intensity and the athletic ability, but it came together here a lot better than it usually does. He went to drop Mason throat first on the guard rail in your usual spot, but somehow tossed him over the guard rail into the crowd. Odds are this is where the injury happened. They then followed that up by Kabious chucking Mason into the same guard rails (those poor old women who got battered twice in short succession). Other spots that stood out where a big leg drop onto Mason on the ring apron, a rope assisted run up to kick Mason in the face on the top rope, a running cannonball to a stood up Mason, a monstrous BME moonsault and other really heavyweight power moves. This really was the MVK show, whether due to his opponents injury or not. I will give credit to Mason for wrestling. In all honesty, without knowing this, I was going to comment on how his personality was timid compared to his look with the hair and tattoo's. But if I was dealing with a dislocated shoulder, I don't think I'd be a bag of personality over. Still, injury and all, he did his job and then some by making MVK look like a monster. Also I was surprised to see how short he was. From promo pictures he looked the part, but in reality he was Jesse from Ink Inc with Shannon Moore's size.Manson vs Spud may have been one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. And I thought Manson vs Mastiff was good, but this was spectacular! Spud was determined that he was not to be made a joke of, but Manson was determined to dance with him. At one point he even held Spud above his head as he began to sing "I've had the time of my life", but Spud wasn't having any of the 80's romance songs. Spud attempted a walk out, but when informed that he would lose his Southside Title shot to lose by count out, he made it back to the ring by count out. This led to Manson escaping under the ring, and when Spud gave chase, Manson went to the back with instructions to the audience not to tell Spud where he was. As Spud searched the ringside area he eventually deemed that Manson was hiding in the toilets, so he stole a chair from a small child (after threatening him with bodily harm) and set off for the toilets. However, he came back to the ring empty handed and took a stance, seated on the chair in the ring as he instructed the ref to count Manson out seen as he's already "been gone for 20 bloody days!". At the count of 7/8, Xmas music hits, and Santa comes out!!! And serious Spud who will not be made a fool of, is over joyed by the appearence of the Jolly not so fat man. Santa proceeds to line up 5 kids and Spud to give presents too, Spud constantly attempting to jump the kids in front of him to no avail. Santa then takes Spud into the ring to sit on his lap and ask him whether he's been good this year, to which Spud says he has. But we learn from the naughty list that that's not the case. Spud beat up a pensioner named Keith Myatt. He slagged the reporters wife off... In every sense of the word. And most heinously, he booked a 15 year old in a death match!! Spud gets his presents tho. The first a poster of Rockstar Harry to his displeasure. Secondly, another poster, this time of himself in speedo's. Spud rips the poster from Santa's grips and accidentally takes the beard with it. Upon the realization of the fake beard in his hands, he turns into a flurry of offense from Manson, culiminating in Manson stealing a sock from Spud's trousers (well, like all good Rockstars, he stuffs) and then winning the match with a Socko assisted punch as a ref with a bag over his head counts three......... In some small way, wrestling died that day, but I was far beyond caring through all the laughter by that point.I'm glad I'm not the only one to say there was a burn out for the crowd before the main event. It would be hard for anything to top Manson vs Spud and the majority of the antics are still fresh in my mind, while I can only recall the high spots from this match. Which is a shame as I'm a big fan of Dave and T-Bone is decent. But I'm still waiting for a star making appearence and unfortunately I didn't see it here. This match followed the same formulea you'd expect from two heavy hitters facing off, and Mastiff had the advantage as he worked T-Bone's arm, and Bone was resolute to body slam Mastiff. Eventually after several failed attempts it happened and Bone slammed Mastiff and was then able to throw the big man around more easily. Not a bad match, just a solid one that didn't seem to enrapture the audience as much as you'd expect, but still T-Bone managed to get all the crowd support so shows that he does have some claim to the top spot in the company. Mastiff had the belt won after the Ref went down, a belt shot and a second ref counted the fall, but the original ref argued the finish, T-Bone powerbombed the replacement ref, and then shortly after the bell was rung to continue the match, had Mastiff pinned a bit too easily with a one armed spine buster. Not a really convincing finish I thought, and Mastiff's fake Title win went down like a wet fart in church unfortunately.Like I said, overall another really good show. Nothing was terribly bad (Holly's inexperience is understandable) and most matches ranged from good to really good, bordering on great. Except I can't help but feel that at least one match should have broken out from the others in a big way and really stole the show with the potential some of these matches and the wrestlers in them had. But the opening tag match, Ligero vs Stixx, McGuinness vs Kirby and Manson vs Spud are all worth seeing when this shows goes on DVD. I already know I have to get one as Suz wants to see McGuinness vs Kirby.

Archived