Shoot interviews

IANdrewDiceClay

Started watching a unique 'shoot' with Vader from KC. Its Vader and Sean Oliver watching matches and talking about them and other stuff surrounding the match. This came out a few years back, and I dont think theres been one released since, so I guess it flopped. This one is not helped by the fact there seems to be a fat guy sitting by the camera, whose heavy breathing you can hear throughout. Has been decent so far, but Vader is always great to listen to. May carry on watching it while having the relevant matches playing on youtube at the same time, which could improve the viewing.Also watched the Nash/Waltman RF shoot, which was pretty dull. After enjoying the Dreamer/Raven one, I was expecting this one to be similar to that, ie, focused entirely on the Kliq, the nWo run, the 02 nWo run, the TNA run. As with most RF shoots, it was poorly structured, had shit questions, and wasnt helped by the fact Nash was getting more and more pissed throughout. Something like Waltman talking about his suicide attempt should have been great to watch, but was ruined by Nash's drunken crying and rambling.

• Paid Members

Been meaning to ask for awhile does anyone know much about Sean Oliver at KC like what's his day job, someone asked him on one of the recent shoots and he shied away from answering it, he's got loads of credits under ADR loop group for things like Sex and The City and films, is he production guy who just happened to be a fan of wrestling and thought he'd give KC a go?

Been meaning to ask for awhile does anyone know much about Sean Oliver at KC like what's his day job, someone asked him on one of the recent shoots and he shied away from answering it, he's got loads of credits under ADR loop group for things like Sex and The City and films, is he production guy who just happened to be a fan of wrestling and thought he'd give KC a go?

I doubt it, his videos look awful and are poorly edited / contain audio distortion and often use poor framing / poor green screen... you name it. People get carried away by saying they look good because they are comparing them to the likes of Highspots and RF Video which have always been dog shit bad. Comparably, next to them the KC stuff is miles better but against "real" television you can tell it's just fan made stuff.

• Paid Members

Aye but he might just work at one of the companies, the picture quality on these things bothers me little aslong as it's clear and watchable it's the stuff like terrible research from RF that really puts me off, KC is the best for me because Oliver comes across well and has obviously put alot of research into the shoots before they do them. Highspots is decent aswell but I don't like the guy doing the interviewing.

• Moderators

I doubt it, his videos look awful and are poorly edited / contain audio distortion and often use poor framing / poor green screen... you name it. People get carried away by saying they look good because they are comparing them to the likes of Highspots and RF Video which have always been dog shit bad. Comparably, next to them the KC stuff is miles better but against "real" television you can tell it's just fan made stuff.
Put together out of one long take, in the 2 or 3 hours of allotted interview time they have, in a tiny motel room, what do you expect?

Astro, it wouldn't matter if they filmed it in a cardboard box - a poor edit is a poor edit. I.E. cutting video as people are about to speak etc.Also from the production standpoint, the fact that it is basically one long take should also be a positive in terms of needing only one lighting setup, but they just seem to fill a room with a red light of sorts usually, which isn't lighting the subject properly.

• Paid Members

When I watch Oliver's shoots, I genuinely don't give a crap about any of that stuff and just want the interview to be interesting. And they usually are. He shoots them on a low budget for a reason and that is because they don't make much money.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Nobody in that scene is making much money. Somebody asked whether he came from a film background, he doesn't. Money has nothing to do with it, it's about using the tools you have. He obviously has an editing programme of sorts he could just use it better. He has lighting, he could use it better.

• Paid Members

Its all about opportunity most of the time. A lot of shoot interviews are done by going up to a wrestler and saying "fancy an interview for a quick payday" and up they pop. All you should ask for is for it to be presentable. They are independently put together. I have an interview with Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons from 1991, where they are in a room at a venue and you can barely hear them, but its still great. Its when you are ill prepared and your interview technique takes away from the subject, what I hate. Feinstein and that pillock from Highspots are the worst. Highspots bloke interviewing the Dynamite Kid was so fucking rotten, I didn't even make it past the first 5 minutes. And my standards are probably among the lowest when it comes to these things. Sean Oliver is by far the best in the biz. He's likable and he almost always has a rapport with his guest. I really dont get why anymore would want more than what they are getting. If the DVDs were 25 quid each, fair enough. But they are done on a budget to a nich

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I like seeing the interviewer on camera aswell, I don't know why just do. I must have been watching RF shoots for about 6 years before I ever saw a picture of him. It just comes across better when you can see Olivier having a discussion with the guest. I also like the way he breaks it up with facts and such on the screen and cuts so the camera isn't just directly pointed at some old wrestler's face for 2 hours

Sean Oliver is the best and most interesting when it comes to the shoot interview. I get gripped in and his interpersonal skills are far superior from the others out there. The whole Youshoot format is brilliant in my eyes, it's allowed the shoot interview to evolve and become more interactive. Some of the questions/videos which get submitted are interesting, hilarious, appealing, enjoyable and thought-through. The whole process flows really well and it works. Then we've got the other series of shoots he's released which are very good to. For example I was reading online that on a RF Shoot Feinstein asks Jesse Ventura if he would like to be inducted into Hall of Fame. Ventura tells him "I am already" and Feinstein replies saying "Oh". He's just abit of a tool really. I recently watched the Scott Steiner shoot which was the highspots release, I had high hopes for this one but bloody hell it was dull. Steiner looked bored as fuck and kept losing interest throughout the entire interview. Anyway this is to agree with Ian they are both bloody rotten alot of the time.