Steve Corino

Richie Freebird

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He can call himself a 3 time world champion if he wants, but really, if you havent headlined in the big time or drew money what does it mean? He got the NWA, AWA and ECW titles, because their wasnt anyone around who you would put the belt on in those promotions. It's the man that makes the title, not the other way around. The AWA belt is on its arse.

He can call himself a 3 time world champion if he wants, but really, if you havent headlined in the big time or drew money what does it mean? He got the NWA, AWA and ECW titles, because their wasnt anyone around who you would put the belt on in those promotions. It's the man that makes the title, not the other way around. The AWA belt is on its arse.

He deserved to be a world champion more than Justin Credible, I can tell you that much.

I heard of the AWA name being used by an independent promotion lead by a man calling himself Dale Gagne. I believe that this incarnation of the AWA is the one in which Corino held the title, and therefore it was not the AWA championship at all.

The confusion comes from Corino defeating Larry Zybysko, who claimed to have been the last AWA champion, and hence Corino

• Paid Members

Well, i think its fair to call it a world title.. purely for the fact that its travelled to aisa as 'the' title to achieve. Does there need to be any other actual criteria?

In terms of it being AWA, it was the main title for a company called AWA.

Does that belt or version of AWA have any link what so ever with the original AWA... does it fuck, they can create lists all they want of the past champions, just as much as adverts can claim "as worn by Christiano Ronaldo" when trying to flog tiy a pair of footy boots.

Fact is they have not been worn by Ronaldo, he just wears a similar pair that your boots are modeled from, which is what Corinos AWA title is, a replica of the original.

Saying that, it is still a world title, in fact it is still an AWA world title, so in fairness, he has held it

Awa-UK oh my..I do remember that nonsense :D

If a company goes out of business and another company starts illegally promoting under that name claiming to have any sort of lineage to the previous company, then no..you are not a legit AWA champion imo.

Corino holding the "AWA title" is a slightly more high profile version of the time last week when I grabbed my replica Big Gold Belt and went poncing around my village telling folks I'd gone over Jack Swagger.

OK, that didn't actually happen. But basically Corino was being booked as AWA Champion when he shouldn't have been, so it's similar.

Corino holding the "AWA title" is a slightly more high profile version of the time last week when I grabbed my replica Big Gold Belt and went poncing around my village telling folks I'd gone over Jack Swagger.

OK, that didn't actually happen. But basically Corino was being booked as AWA Champion when he shouldn't have been, so it's similar.

Not quite.

Corino was booked by a company using the initials AWA (wrongly), and billed as their World Champion. Gagner's organisation had worldwide contacts, and Corino defended the belt around the world in different AWA-related companies against top contenders. Given what a "World Title" should be, he's got a claim for legitimacy as a World Champion.

His belt has no connection to that held by Verne Gagne & Nick Bockwinkel though.

- You open a promotion under the name of `Archie Turner`called WCW.

- You dub the former big gold WCW world title replica as your world title.

- You book the last `real` WCW Champion Booker T against your local indy worker at your local indy show in a youth centre. (Just another payday for Booker)

- Your local worker wins and carries the belt around.

Is local indy worker "Lightning Jack Thompson (5 ft 5") now a WCW World Champion like Goldberg was!?

Hell no he is not!

steve corino is a former 2 time AWA Superstars of Wrestling World Champion beating Takao Omori then losing to Shinjiro Otani and the 2nd time beating Ric Converse then losing to Takao Omori, the AWA title changed its name to WSL, Wrestling Superstars Live, due to Dale Gagne losing his lawsuit to WWE

Is local indy worker "Lightning Jack Thompson (5 ft 5") now a WCW World Champion like Goldberg was!?

No, and as I said, Corino's title has no connection to the Gagne/Bockwinkel/Zbyszko lineage.

Corino *can* lay claim to being an AWA World Champion in that he was the champion for an organisation called AWA who promoted a title that was defended around the world in different promotions.

On the credibility scale, it's rock bottom, however.

Archived