Steve Corino

Richie Freebird

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A World Belt is a World Belt if the piece of tin says "World Title" on it. Since when did defending it overseas make it a world title? The belt is a prop, used to sell tickets. Its not the Champions League trophy. Corino could have defended it in every country in the world, but it still wont mean as much as Christians shite 2 day reign as the Smackdown champion. Its the man who makes the title, not the otherway around.

So if it just needs to say its a world title to be a world title then Steve Corino can say he was a former AWA world Champion because he held a title called the AWA World Championship, which after all is the question.

• Paid Members
So if it just needs to say its a world title to be a world title then Steve Corino can say he was a former AWA world Champion because he held a title called the AWA World Championship, which after all is the question.

Look at my original answer then. You can call yourself a former world champion if you want, but it means fuck all if its just some piece of tin defended by some shithawk wrestler like Corino. Corino held the ECW World title as well, but that was after everyone walked out and the show was getting kicked off the air. All this talk about having to defend it in different countries to make it a world belt is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
A World Belt is a World Belt if the piece of tin says "World Title" on it. Since when did defending it overseas make it a world title? The belt is a prop, used to sell tickets. Its not the Champions League trophy. Corino could have defended it in every country in the world, but it still wont mean as much as Christians shite 2 day reign as the Smackdown champion. Its the man who makes the title, not the otherway around.

That's an awful example. It is called the Champions League but if you pay close attention the League has more than 10 teams that in fact aren't champions.

The UEFA Champions League is a joke just like that AWA Superstars "world" belt.

• Paid Members
That's an awful example. It is called the Champions League but if you pay close attention the League has more than 10 teams that in fact aren't champions.

Read what I wrote. I'm talking about what the means league means on the world stage, not that its an individual trophy. The fact the Champions League isnt given to you by a promoter and several writers based on your look and interview skills (or in Corino's case, because there was nobody else). I think its a pretty fine example to use for saying the AWA title means nothing.

• Paid Members

Anyone who thinks the current CL is a joke needs to have a word with themselves. I had an argument about this the other day.

Sure, in semantic terms, it's not really a Champions' League, and one could argue that the change in qualifying criteria was a cynical ploy to draw money when it didn't really need it, but the fact is that the CL as it currently is is far from a joke, and is now a much tougher and therefore much more prestigious competition than the original European Cup.

Anyone who thinks the current CL is a joke needs to have a word with themselves. I had an argument about this the other day.

Sure, in semantic terms, it's not really a Champions' League, and one could argue that the change in qualifying criteria was a cynical ploy to draw money when it didn't really need it, but the fact is that the CL as it currently is is far from a joke, and is now a much tougher and therefore much more prestigious competition than the original European Cup.

The group stage is a farce and you have to be real dingus to say otherwise, plus knockout tournaments are and always will be meaningless, they don't prove whose the better team and they contain an extremely idiotic "away goals rule" that really make no sense when you think about it. Bayern Munich 4 Manchester United 4, I don't really see a winner with such a score - do you?

Now if you'd have a best out of 3 after the silly group stage is over then the Champions League might make some sense, but of course no chance that will ever happen since it can't really be profitable and it's all about the profits and not really showing whose the better team.

Read what I wrote. I'm talking about what the means league means on the world stage, not that its an individual trophy. The fact the Champions League isnt given to you by a promoter and several writers based on your look and interview skills (or in Corino's case, because there was nobody else). I think its a pretty fine example to use for saying the AWA title means nothing.

Yeah, because UEFA isn't corrupted at all, right? You have to be a fool to really believe that everything in the Champions League is legit.

• Paid Members
Yeah, because UEFA isn't corrupted at all, right? You have to be a fool to really believe that everything in the Champions League is legit.

What does this have to do with the fucking thread? Really, has this anything to do with anything? Whats your uninteresting anti-UEFA rant got to do with this thread? Take it in one of the footie threads.

• Paid Members
The group stage is a farce and you have to be real dingus to say otherwise, plus knockout tournaments are and always will be meaningless, they don't prove whose the better team and they contain an extremely idiotic "away goals rule" that really make no sense when you think about it. Bayern Munich 4 Manchester United 4, I don't really see a winner with such a score - do you?

Now if you'd have a best out of 3 after the silly group stage is over then the Champions League might make some sense, but of course no chance that will ever happen since it can't really be profitable and it's all about the profits and not really showing whose the better team.

Now you're bringing up something completely different, because now you're ignoring your original statement that "the CL is a joke because it doesn't have only champions in it", which is just wrong.

Let me put it to you this way: the CL is made up of the best teams from the best leagues, whereas the old European Cup tourneys were made up of the best teams from ALL leagues, best and worst. Which do you think is tougher?

To face Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Ajax Amsterdam, Bayern Munich, Paris St. Germain, Anderlecht, Red Star Belgrade, Celtic, Slavia Prague, Valletta, Lech Poznan, Kispest Honved, Brondby, Besiktas, Olympiakos?

Or to face Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Ajax Amsterdam, Feyenoord, PSV Eindhoven, Bayern Munich, Rangers, Celtic and maybe PSG or Olympique Marseille?

If you honestly believe that the first isn't a joke but the second is, I want some of what you're smoking.

Now you're bringing up something completely different, because now you're ignoring your original statement that "the CL is a joke because it doesn't have only champions in it", which is just wrong.

Let me put it to you this way: the CL is made up of the best teams from the best leagues, whereas the old European Cup tourneys were made up of the best teams from ALL leagues, best and worst. Which do you think is tougher?

To face Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Ajax Amsterdam, Bayern Munich, Paris St. Germain, Anderlecht, Red Star Belgrade, Celtic, Slavia Prague, Valletta, Lech Poznan, Kispest Honved, Brondby, Besiktas, Olympiakos?

Or to face Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Ajax Amsterdam, Feyenoord, PSV Eindhoven, Bayern Munich, Rangers, Celtic and maybe PSG or Olympique Marseille?

If you honestly believe that the first isn't a joke but the second is, I want some of what you're smoking.

I didn't ingnore that statement, I just added more of my views on why the Champions League is a joke.

Well, from some of the teams you've mentioned you obviously don't know or just don't follow European football (Juve? PSV? those teams are far from being strong sides like they used to be back in the day and the dutch league is not as strong as it used to be... what's next? your going to mention La Coru

Archived