Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd give it for the Kenneth challenge if anything because that's where he loses the advantage and that gave the keeper the chance he needed to get the ball and I don't think he took player after ball either. He made a fair challenge.

The Kenneth challenge is another one of those ones where the refereeing basically encourages diving.

Those GIFs have pretty much confirmed to me what i initially thought, that the first part was definitely an infringement but the keepers challenge was fine. But what you say brings up an interesting point - does the infringement come under impeding progress (obstruction) which would be an indirect free kick, or is it effectively a push/barge, in which case it should be a penalty?

Chances are, most folk would probably consider it a barge or push if the player went to ground, and impeding progress if the player stayed on his feet and was 'only' forced wide. It's almost the same offence, so how do you differentiate?

I'd give it for the Kenneth challenge if anything because that's where he loses the advantage and that gave the keeper the chance he needed to get the ball and I don't think he took player after ball either. He made a fair challenge.

The Kenneth challenge is another one of those ones where the refereeing basically encourages diving.

Those GIFs have pretty much confirmed to me what i initially thought, that the first part was definitely an infringement but the keepers challenge was fine. But what you say brings up an interesting point - does the infringement come under impeding progress (obstruction) which would be an indirect free kick, or is it effectively a push/barge, in which case it should be a penalty?

Chances are, most folk would probably consider it a barge or push if the player went to ground, and impeding progress if the player stayed on his feet and was 'only' forced wide. It's almost the same offence, so how do you differentiate?

I would say that the defender making a move towards the attacker, as he clearly did, would make it a penalty whereas just not making an attempt to get out of the way would make it obstruction.

That being said I don't really know.

Just watching the replay on Sport scene there. There was not one point in time that the referee lifted his flag to get the referees attention, he just slowly moved over to the position he would normally take up in case of a penalty, so whatever the fuck happened I do not know.

Apparently Martin Bain has been complaining to the SFA about Allan McGregor's one match ban from Saturday. Personally I hope they tell him where to shove his complaints; the twat needed taking down a peg or two and it's not as if they chucked it in just before the Old Firm game either. It's exactly the kind of thing I'm sick of about the Old Firm; either side having the nerve to wail about decisions going against them is just ridiculous IMHO.

Cue Celtic fans claiming the SFA are conspiring against them...

I don't know about the SFA (even if they did conspire against Celtic a few years back), but as a neutral in all of the old firm shite i'd have to say that the penalty shenanigans on Sunday gives Celtic fans good cause to think that something is going on, at least with certain referees.

• Paid Members
Cue Celtic fans claiming the SFA are conspiring against them...

I don't know about the SFA (even if they did conspire against Celtic a few years back)..

More like 15 years ago. Jim Farry deservedly lost his job over that.

Just watching the replay on Sport scene there. There was not one point in time that the referee lifted his flag to get the referees attention, he just slowly moved over to the position he would normally take up in case of a penalty, so whatever the fuck happened I do not know.

I can only assume that the referee has given the penalty but then thought twice about it and went to the assistant to see what he thought about it and the assistant has confirmed what he thought about the keeper getting a touch.

Remember though that the ref and the assistant are linked via the comm system in the SPL. It's commonplace now for an assistant only to flag in support of a referees decision whereas if they disagree it tneds to get done via the comm rather than the method of flagging the ref and getting him over to discuss it which you see outside of the SPL.

• Paid Members
Apparently Martin Bain has been complaining to the SFA about Allan McGregor's one match ban from Saturday. Personally I hope they tell him where to shove his complaints; the twat needed taking down a peg or two and it's not as if they chucked it in just before the Old Firm game either. It's exactly the kind of thing I'm sick of about the Old Firm; either side having the nerve to wail about decisions going against them is just ridiculous IMHO.

The funniest part of the whole thing for me is Neil Lennons quote that he would want to know who made the complaint. It's a televised professional sport not the local primary school playground.

Surely the concern would be more that one of your players has risked a suspension by needlessly kicking out at another player - instead of worrying about who grassed him up.

The funniest part of the whole thing for me is Neil Lennons quote that he would want to know who made the complaint. It's a televised professional sport not the local primary school playground.

Surely the concern would be more that one of your players has risked a suspension by needlessly kicking out at another player - instead of worrying about who grassed him up.

This. I'm not a spy on the Follow Follow forum (I think my attempt to register an account named SamEnglishLoyal1690 a few years back was clocked immediately :laugh:) but often some of the more comical posts from there turn up on Celtic Minded. There was a thread relating to the McGregor kick incident called something like "WHO GRASSED?" with a poll of options such as Neil Lennon, Celtic fans, the SFA, the BBC, Sky Sports etc. It's hardly as if it was done cloak and dagger in a midnight graveyard - it was on national fucking telly, replayed over and over again!

Poll should know better, pretty pathetic coming out with these outbursts, especially since he was the one in the firing line at one point and should appreciate the position he is in right now in terms of media scrutiny coming from all angles. That being said i doubt McDonald will lose much sleep over criticism from someone who cannot comprehend basic arithmetic.

Archived