Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Was a disgrace tonight and I don't blame Rangers fans for laughing it up as if the roles were reversed plenty of our lads would be doing the same, and no doubt will when they get pumped in the CL. I just want to forget tonight, this year has to be about the league now, Europe would be nice n all but with our new signings and Rangers losing quite a number of players second place just won't do this year. Apparently were signing Stokes and I'm happy enough with that signing, he's obviously talented but it's all down to whether Lenny can get the best out of him, he's proven himself at this level and i'd expect him to be getting 15 plus this year if given the game time.

its hilarious aint it... this is the problem. a couple of wins against st mirren and caley and they were on the up and playing great football. two wins does not a great team make

either the celtic fans are just eating humble pie and not posting right now, or they are all waiting till giro day to top up their pay as you go internet.. god bless the 3 network, eh lads

I think a period of quiet reflection was needed by all Celtic fans last night. I can comfortably say that was one of the worst performances I have seen by a professional football team at any level. Celtic were comprehensively outclassed in every area of the field and produced absolutely nothing.

I don't feel myself numbed by the defeat though. It is more of a feeling of "Oh well". I think what we have seen in the two European away games is that you might get away with learning football management in the SPL but the European Cups are a whole different ball game.

The jury is still out on Lennon but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It is not just two SPL wins he has achieved, it is 10 wins in a row and two (ultimately fruitless) home wins in Europe. I have seen enough in those games to not go over the top about some away European defeats, which lets face it are not unique to the current Celtic manager.

The defeat will have an effect on transfer activity. I can see a few of the players who were on the bubble being shipped out and any players that may have been on the radar being passed up on.

Onto Fir Park on Sunday and lets hope that normal service is resumed.

Agree that the performance was worse than Bratislava and totally beggars belief why Fortune was playing if his deal with WBA was almost tied up. You have to wonder why we risked injury that would have fucked the deal, and also played a player who was leaving so couldn't really give a shit anyway.

This is probably one of the few times I will find myself agreeing with the Rangers manager;

Walter Smith has demanded action rather than words to try to drag Scottish football out of the doldrums after yet another disastrous week in Europe.

The Rangers boss is left to fly the flag for the SPL as his club are the only team left standing after Celtic, Motherwell and Dundee United all crashed out of the Europa League at the play-off stage.

Exactly a year ago Smith launched a scathing attack on Scottish football's rulers and claimed our game had suffered from two decades of neglect after Aberdeen, Hearts and Motherwell faltered in the Europa League .

And it's the same again this season with the situation only going to get worse as next year's SPL champions are denied automatic entry into the Champions League group stages.

Last year SFA president George Peat hired former First Minister Henry McLeish to compile a report on Scottish football.

It is claimed the action McLeish has recommended will blow our game apart from top to bottom but Smith has heard it all before.

He said: "We have had numerous think tanks and reports into the game.

"We are currently in the middle of one of them but I don't think any of them have achieved anything.

"We have a problem and we haven't adjusted to it.

"We haven't adjusted to it for the last 15 to 20 years when I first read a report from Andy Roxburgh which said football would deteriorate unless we did something to assist the development of youth.

"We haven't done that. We've done bits and pieces but not enough.

"Now we are struggling as we are not getting enough players coming through.

"When we have been able to invest then we have covered it a wee bit.

"Now we can't invest it is being shown up. They make plenty of reports but they never do anything about it.

"They come up with plenty of things but nobody ever does anything.

"They all say the Germans have a great set-up. But the Germans decided to do something about it and took action on their own reports."

Meanwhile, Smith is still waiting on answer from Kenny Miller after the striker was g iven an improved contract offer, having rejected the first one.

Although Rangers could lose him for nothing next July, Smith says that will not force them to cash in on the player in the next few days.

He said: "He doesn't have to be sold. This situation has been here since May and we haven't had an enquiry about Miller so we wouldn't expect one in the next three days."

While Smith hopes to hold on to Miller there was less encouraging news for the Ibrox boss after defender Andy Webster suffered another injury blow.

Smith said: "He has got a wee bit of a problem with his sciatic nerve above the hamstring. We're not sure how long he will be out."

Well said Walter.

Archived