The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

One of my favourite bands of all time, one of my favourite albums of all time. An excellent live band (must've seen them 12 or 13 times), so well up for this.

Oh and Ebb, how could you not have listened to Hours in full? It's incredible. 

Edited by gbacon85

It says that it's "'Hours' and 'Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation' performed in full over two nights", I assume it's going to be they play album the first night and the other the following night, a good tool to get people to go to both nights and hear each album performed

Edit: you seemed to notice once I started replying

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

yeh it'll be one album in full one night, then the other album in full the next night.

I've never heard Hours in full, it's one of those albums where i probably know the first 4-5 songs strongly then nothing after that. It was kind of like that with each subsequent album too.

Seen Funeral as support waaaay back, as support for Iron Maiden. Cant say I had an opinion one way or the other and havent really gone out of my way to recitfy that. Several of my mates on fb are having sort of hysterical meltdowns though, as they have followed the band for ever, interviewed them and all sorts. Ergo they are a bit upset.

Have they had enough? The drummer and one of the guitarists walked away fairly recently didnt they? or has the bottom fallen through the market for them these days to the point it's not worth even doing greatest hits tours every once in a while?

They were one of the bands that the proto-hipster/posers at my college absolutely bummed like they were the second coming when they started to gain some traction. Then again these were people who also thought that Poison The Well and From Autumn To Ashes were the heaviest bands going.

I remembering This Years Most Open Heartbreak and quite liked that, but on further listening I didn't really take to them. I was firmly into my European melodic death metal phase at the time and you could hear an influence of that in the sound so maybe it was a case of having heard it to some degree already that I didn't take.

I don't know if it's a case of they've had enough, more likely they (and the same can be said for a lot of bands) have gone as far as they can and have simply decided to knock on the head rather than limp along putting out mediocre releases

Bit of both. They see the last album as a definitive end, and they have been constantly touring it seems for absolutely forever, so that's probably the reason. Also, Matt has been playing a few solo shows, and writing solo material.

As a band you need to know when to stop, and this is probably a good time to call it a day for them. They came out at exactly the right time (as mentioned earlier), and they have progressed massively as a band from their early Glassjaw impressions to a more rounded, musically rich band. Live, they have always been on point, and they're getting on a bit, and their reputation these days is as a live act, so probably don't want to sully that as well.

• Paid Members

Can't imagine the Maiden fans thinking much of them, what a weird combination.

Only 2 of the original 5 (debut album lineup) remain, the band peaked in popularity probably between Hours and the 3rd or 4th album. At the time they tried to change up their style a little and be more of a mainstream sounding rock act, the change in sound mixed with that "scene" period dying off ended up seeing then lose a big portion of their fan base and they never really recovered. In recent years with the revamped lineup they put their tales between their legs and returned to the style they had on their first couple of records and reconnected to the harder sounds that influenced them. It was a bit of a cop out but it probably led to them continuing to tour for a few more years. I'll always have a soft spot for the band though, we saw them a bunch of times locally around the debut album time, genuinely exciting times for music in South Wales.

I was at that Maiden show, I think it was the Dance of Death tour at Earls Court back in December '03. If I recall, no, the Maiden fans did not enjoy FFAF.

Was either Earl's or MEN, saw em all over the shop at one point, so kinda blur, but FFAF we're supposed to be up and coming so thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Maiden have had some weird arse supports. My Dying Bride on the X Factour, to this day the violin still goes right through me, I think it was DragonForce last time out.

Thanks for the other responses, that makes a lot of sense

• Paid Members

A band changing their sound is always interesting, sometimes it can really enhance them others it can be a major hindrance.

Like I say, I'm not overly familiar with BMTH's change or how gradual it has been as I've not listened to them in years, but good examples of a direction shift for me were Katatonia, Ulver (as Merzbow mentioned) and I'm a massive fan of Opeth and really enjoy the direction they have gone recently.

Bad examples I can think of are In Flames from Soundtrack To Your Escape onwards, the last Morbid Angel album was a bit hard to stomach and I've spoken before about how I've still never forgiven Fear Factory for Digimortal

yeh, im not knocking BMTH's change in direction. Despite probably alienating some of the fans it seems to be pushing the bands to a new level...i was just saying it sounds like Justin Bieber fronting a metal band.

I forgive Fear Factory though, they've been quality since Dino re-joined. Digimortal though, jesus. In Flames are a weird one, cause they are still a big band, but i've never heard anyone say they like the new stuff.

• Paid Members

Not sure if anyone here were fans of the old ‘Metal Hammer Podcast’? If so, Beez & Stephen Hill have got a new one, it’s on Soundcloud & called the ‘That’s Not Metal’ podcast. 2 episodes in & it’s pretty good. I was a massive fan of the MH podcast & they were responsible for introducing me to loads of bands who are now my favourites so I’ve missed not having all the new act recommendations. After the last episode I’ve already been turned on to ‘The Wonder Years’ who’s new album is fantastic, think a cross between FFAF & Counting Crows.

Get on it.

The Wonder Years are my favourite band right now. Every album has gotten better and live shows are incredible. They're supporting Enter Shikari in February, going to a few dates. 

If you like them, you should listen to Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties. It's the lead singers from TWY doing a character study album about a guy going though a divorce. It's a bit more folky then TWY, but I love it.

Edited by MoKonjic

In rather sad news, Bolt Thrower drummer Martin 'Kiddie' Kearns has died suddenly at the age of 38.

The Coventry death metal outfit's sticksman passed away peacefully in his sleep after taking unwell at rehearsal.

In a statement, Bolt Thrower say: "With the heaviest of hearts, and still numb from shock, we have to share the very sad news that on Monday, Bolt Thrower lost our powerhouse drummer, Martin ‘Kiddie’ Kearns.

"After the first rehearsal for our upcoming tour of Australia, Kiddie suddenly felt unwell which continued throughout the night, and the next day he passed away peacefully in his sleep.

"He was a fantastic dad, husband, son, friend, but to us he was always Kiddie, the same 17-year-old Coventry kid whose drumming style and personality blew us away when he first walked into our rehearsal room more than 20 years ago.

"Kiddie enriched our lives and the Bolt Thrower sound. He leaves a massive hole in the lives of everyone who knew him and will be very sorely missed by many."

Bolt Thrower headlined last year's Damnation Festival in Leeds. Damnation promoter Gavin McInally tells TeamRock: "That is really devastating news.

"Martin was a genuinely lovely guy and the band are the most down-to-earth headliners we've ever had. They have such a DIY ethic and were never interested in the money or contracts.

"I'd been trying to book them for 10 years and when they finally agreed in 2014, they sold the festival out. They were responsible for selling 4000 tickets on their own. Their attitude was so refreshing. If all groups were as easy to deal with as them, it would make running a festival a much less stressful job.

"I'm really saddened for the band and of course I pass on our deepest sympathies to them and to Martin's family."

According to Black Conjuration Fest, Bolt Thrower's Australian tour has been cancelled and fans who bought tickets will be refunded.

Speaking of Damnation (as we were in the gigs thread), they've just confirmed the final acts for this years festival.

Primordial, Savage Messiah, C.R.O.W.N.S, Talons, Ohhms, Ghold, Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster and Undersmile complete the bill

Edited by WyattSheepMask

He was a real life mate of mine was Martin. Well, I hadn't seen him for a few years but whenever I did, he was always a nice and sincere bloke. We always laughed about when I have him a Guns N Roses patch for his jacket when he was 12 or 13. Pretty upsetting to hear this.