The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh, i was proper into all them labels, some of them hold up well but looking back at the Drive Thru roster. I liked some for that stuff but a lot of is so fucking twee and fanny like, i can't bring myself to listen to a lot of that stuff nowadays, i did like it at the time though.

The best thing about Some Kind Of Monster is the therapist guy who considered himself a member of the band.

I weren't saying Metallica are skint, I said they aren't making as much as what they're shelling out. As was mentioned, stupid projects and not releasing an album in years is putting a small hole in their massive account.

Edit

http://www.metalinjection.net/its-just-business/new-report-claims-metallica-lost-more-money-than-they-made-since-2010

Mind you, why not go for vanity projects? That's why they made the money, to enjoy it. Reminds me of that bit in Citizen Kane where they say he lost a million bucks this year and he says in this rate he will have to close in 60 years.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Mind you, why not go for vanity projects? That's why they made the money, to enjoy it

Exactly. This is why the fan reaction to ‘Lulu’ irked me so much. Who cares if it wasn’t any good or it didn’t sound like Metallica? It wasn’t ever listed as a ‘Metallica album’ & was meant to be an obscure side project. For men their age & growing up in San Francisco, Lou Reed asking you to do a collaboration is equivalent to Kurt Cobain asking blokes of my generation to record an album with him. You simply wouldn’t say no, even if it turned out to be toss, it doesn’t matter.

I imagine once you’ve sold a zillion records, headlined every festival you want & can sell out a tour in minutes you need to find more & more obscure or different things to keep yourself interested. Be it curating your own festival, making a film or working with a childhood hero.

Don't get me wrong, they're my favourite band. But if them not doing things like 3D films or Orion+, thus not having to play a dozen shows to recoup losses, means we got a new album sooner I'm all for it.

Fully agree with Dead Mike regarding the reaction to Lulu. I don't know what people realistically expected it was going to be. Whilst it is a terrible album, it was dead on arrival as soon as it was announced. Even Megadeth's 'Super Collider' outsold it, and that's saying something because that's an awful album aswell

• Paid Members

Did anyone catch any of the live stream of System Of A Down's gig in Armenia last night? It was to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the genocide in Armenia.

I only caught the last half an hour but it was pretty spectacular. A huge town square rammed full of people going nuts, and SOAD were ace as usual. It obviously meant a lot to the band, and the fans - there were even some fans crying in the crowd.

• Paid Members

been loads of stuff popping up online recently about Scott Weiland's supposed drug problem, well this performance last night seems to put any doubts of that rumor to bed...

http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/30/stone-temple-pilots-scott-weiland-gasoline-video/

holy shit, that's sad to see :(

The guy has been a fucking mess for a long time, how he ever convinced Slash and Duff to work with him is beyond me.

All the while, the rest of Stone Temple Pilots seem pretty having Chester Bennington in the band. When recently asked to compare Chester to Weiland, he responded "that would be like comparing the strength of a two year old to an adult bodybuilder". When asked about possibly reuniting with Weiland in the future-

"Why would I want to that? That fucking mess"