The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Bloodstock is certainly a festival on the grow and that is reflected in the bands they are now able to book. Like I said yesterday they'll book bands that can sell a certain number of tickets and certain fans can seem to accept that bands from niche sub-genres are not going to do that. I'd have thought that Judas Priest would have been a strong possibility coming off of a strong new album. Yes, they are playing Download in the June but they could have done both.

But you're always going to get those so-called fans who are determined to find something to complain about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0iRUAZi68

Justis Mustaine (yep, Dave's son is named Justis, for fucks sake) uploaded footage of an undisclosed drummer practising with Dave Ellefson.

Could be nothing, could be a new guy who they don't want to reveal yet, but he is playing a kit with 'Peace Sells...But Whose Buying' designs which has led to speculation about Gar Samuelson. Nick Menza has also said he "would rule out" a return

Also, Enslaved, Korpiklaani and Pro-Pain all added to Bloodstock

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I fucked off back to my tent during Billy on that day after getting changed I realised I still had 16 cans of beer and decided to drink them all instead of going back out into the rain. Only two people out of the group of the 6 of us actually decided to go back to the arena. I don't think I missed a thing when it came to not seeing Aerosmith.

It seems as though they're in a bit if rut due to Bloodstock and Sonisphere both taking a few more risks with their lineups. I could see someone like Royal Blood or Turbo Wolf doing Sonisphere this year, but they would end up on the third stage at Download. It does seem like Download only really pools from the same dozen names for headliners with a similar midcard every year.

• Paid Members

Out of 19 bands added, I only give a shit about 3 of them.

Was Download always this bad?

it's filling out as expected

i don't really say how anyone can say it's bad? the fact this thing happens every year always makes the festival lineup look simlar to past ones, but the lineup for a festival that attempts to cater for hard rock/metal fans across the board it's solid. If the bands aint of you're taste that's fair enough but it's hardly a bad lineup.

Out of 19 bands added, I only give a shit about 3 of them.

Was Download always this bad?

it's filling out as expected

i don't really say how anyone can say it's bad? the fact this thing happens every year always makes the festival lineup look simlar to past ones, but the lineup for a festival that attempts to cater for hard rock/metal fans across the board it's solid. If the bands aint of you're taste that's fair enough but it's hardly a bad lineup.

I missed Donnington last year due to poor headliners. This year i am not going purely due to AC not booking the foo fighters. I'm sorry but Muse have been poor and stopped playing Showbiz/Origin Of Symmetry live. FNM mean nothing and Kiss are hit and miss. If Rise Against are the friday when Judas Priest are on then i will get a friday ticket for 5FDP/Rise Against/Slipknot. I also think rebooking the same headliners as two years ago is very, very lazy especially with Slipknot touring January and BSC having toured in October. 

• Paid Members

I was looking forward to the Download announcements but i am deeply dissapointed so far. I attended every year from 2008 until 2013 but gave this years a miss due to the shoddy line-up. Next year is the same, it seems. The only band i care about enough to see is Muse but that's only through their earlier work. There's a lot of repeat bands that i've all ready seen (some even multiple times at the same bloody festival).

I'm not a big METALZ~~!!! fan, so Bloodstock isn't really my cup of tea. I think American festivals are right up my alley; decent mx of rock, indie, reunited emo bands, a dollop of heavier stuff and some out-of-left-field choices as well. I mean where else can you find Foo Fighters, Outkast, Slayer and Melvins on the same festival?!? Download 2011 came close to achieving that sort of flavour, which is why it's my most fondly remembered festival experience.

I may make a play for Sonisphere next year as they seem to have a better grasp at curating a decent mix of bands. I doubt i'll ever attend Reading or Leeds though as i've heard the atmospere is dogshit compared to Download/Sonisphere, which is a shame as they do book some quaity stuff at times.

Edited by Accident Prone

Leeds used to be our festival of choice when the used to book more metal bands, but the first time we went to Download (2010) we enjoyed the atmosphere so much more Leeds has been completely sacked off.

I'm still going to get a ticket for the Sunday so that I can cross KISS off the bucketlist

Definitely looking forward to Bloodstock again

• Paid Members

Yeh Leeds/Reading toned it down metal wise with the rise or Download. Surely though if theres a festival in this country that doesnt fit your tastes there's no hope for you?

We're pretty lucky with all the selection we have.