The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

An angry former Slipknot roadie has unmasked the band’s new drummer as Jay Weinberg and their bassist as Allessandro ‘Vman’ Venturella.

The band had said they might never confirm the identities of the men who were brought in to work on latest album .5: The Gray Chapter. The lineup changes followed the death of founding bassist Paul Gray 2010 and the dismissal of drummer Joey Jordison last year.

But drum tech Norm Costa, who’s worked with Slayer, Mastodon and others before being hired then fired by Slipknot recently, last night posted a picture of a tour itinerary on Instagram. It names Weinberg and Venturella as members of the band alongside Sid Wilson, Chris Fehn, Jim Root, Craig Jones, Shawn Crahan, Mick Thomson and Corey Taylor.

Costa tagged the image “#blowitup #fuckslipknot.” It followed the posting of Weinberg’s drumkit seen from backstage, which had been tagged “#jayweinberg #slipknot #newdrummer #fuckslipknot.”

Responding to a comment from a follower asking whether he was working with Weinberg, the roadie replied: "I was, no longer." Responding to another follower, he wrote: "Should have stayed with Mastodon though – a real band!"

Weinberg, the son of Bruce Springsteen's drummer Jay, had been named in September after former colleague Laura Jane Grace of Against Me! tweeted: “Dear Slipknot, good luck with that. #shitbag.”

Fans identified Venturello from his distinctive hand tattoos after seeing the video for The Devil In I. Frontman Taylor later laughed it off, saying: “I was like, ‘Why didn’t we make him wear gloves?’ I was so upset.”

instagram.com/p/wJ32WjTBIN/

So yeah, it's all official now

• Paid Members

There should be uproar, that's a shit announcement.

I saw Triptykon support at the gates yesterday and they were great, they only did a 45 minute set which was a shame but they did do two songs off To Mega Therion which was really cool. In his stage banter Tom G Warrior said they very nearly had to pull out that day (no reasons given but I wonder if they still had beef with At The Gates)

• Paid Members

I always see a backlash against people who get annoyed at these more mainstream bands playing bloodstock but I don't see what the problem is. There are loads of mainstream rock festivals, people like bloodstock because it's a bit smaller and niche. Sure it's good for the organisers to have the pull to get bigger bands because they're doing well but in the long run they'll either grow and end up competing with download, Sonisphere etc or they'll just end up with bands like Trivium who would play download but would be on a 3pm. I can see why people would be against that. I'm disappointed to see them as headliner.

I don't think Bloodstock are thinking of competing with Download anytime soon. Sonisphere seem to be struggling to do that and they've got a lot more money behind them.

End of the day there will be at least one other band to see at the same time on the second stage at Bloodstock. If you don't want to watch Trivium, don't watch them. It's not like your being held at gunpoint.

The organisor's are focused on booking a band that is going to shift a certain of tickets, and they have that in Trivium and Rob Zombie for that matter. Obviously they're not shifting tens of thousands of tickets but they will sell enough to make it worthwhile putting on the festival.

It's just another example of people moaning for the sake of it. I'd love to know who they think should be headlining Bloodstock

• Paid Members

Im actually quite pleased to see Trivium get the nod. The headline slot at Bloodstock is becoming a pretty prestigious spot so its a big deal for a band like Trivium to get. Im pretty certain they'll go down fine on the night too despite the detractors.

Trivium sit in a weird position amongst metal fans, i think they always seen to be seen as some kind of 'US Bullet for my Valentine' and for that theres a portion of the audience that simply wont give em the time of day.

Edited by Ebb