The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

and in other wild news, As I Lay Dying frontman Tim Lambesis has been busted for attempting to hire someone to kill his ex-wife, looks like he's going down for some time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

any Blood Red Throne fans here? new album is available on Spotify now and it's a fucking belter. I'm pretty picky with my death metal but Blood Red Throne are the kind of band i like, it aint all relentless anger and blast beats, they right belting tunes with some great hooks, get on it....

1673233448-1.jpg

Brilliant.

I enjoy BRT. They're by no means my favourite, but I certainly enjoy them when I do listen to them. I might have to give this album a go. They straddle that fine line between blasting brutality and decent songwriting fairly well, in my opinion.

Slayer have announced that Paul Bostaph has officially replaced drummer Dave Lombardo in the band.

"Slayer's Tom Araya and Kerry King are very pleased to announce that Paul Bostaph has rejoined the band on a full-time basis," say the band in an official statement. "Bostaph will be behind the drum kit beginning June 4 when Slayer kicks off the first leg of its 2013 international tour in Warsaw, Poland. Gary Holt will continue to fill in for fallen guitarist Jeff Hanneman.

"Slayer's 2013 itinerary will have them playing 35 dates that will include headline shows as well as a number of major summer festivals in Europe, Eastern Europe and South America between June and October. The complete itinerary is below.

"Paul's a great drummer and a good friend, and we're very happy that he's decided to rejoin the band," said Tom Araya. "We're still pretty numb from the loss of Jeff, but we don't want to disappoint our European fans, and we need to begin moving forward

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

Alright, firstly, I am not going to bullshit you. My mate is in this band, hence the plug.

FEARhouse, a Newcastle based metal band who have been described as merging the sounds of Sabbath, Slayer and Metallica, are releasing their debut single tonight at 6pm. It's a free download.

You can check them out at 6pm on this Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/160057514171684/

Thanks.

Black_Sabbath_13.jpg

So, its here.

12 years in the making. After years of reunions, break-ups, special appearances, lawsuits, counter lawsuits, contract disputes, alcohol relapse, lymphoma diagnosis....they are back, sort of.

We all know the story of Bill Ward over the last 18 months, showing up at the reunion announcement despite having not properly signed on to it. Take him out of the equation, taking over the drum stool on the album (Tommy Clufetos remains the touring drummer) is Brad Wilk (Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave) you have the original line-up of Black Sabbath together again for their first full length album together since 1978's Never Say Die!. New tracks had appeared on the Reunion live album and Tony Iommi's 2000 solo album, simply titled Iommi

Anyone who has ever called them self a metal fan knows the Black Sabbath legacy. Considered by many to the band that really laid down the foundation of what Heavy Metal was, fans across the world, young and old, know the songs (particularly the early Ozzy-era) inside and out, a testament to the song writing having stood the test of time. Albums such as Paranoid, Vol. 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath sound as good today as they ever did, the influences clear for all to see. But 36 years on from the last time Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler laid down songs with Ozzy Osbourne, is the old magic still there? In the second half of the seventies, after lackluster efforts Technical Ecstasy and the aforementioned Never Say Die!, Ozzy was booted out of the band, his (and Iommi's) drug addiction taking a real toll on all involved, he wheels coming off the train. Black Sabbath continued though the 80's with a number of singers, and while still being a major touring band, the albums varied in quality from very good (Heaven And Hell, The Mob Rules) to downright awful (Tyr, Forbidden). So where will 13 rank in the realm of Sabbath folk-law?

'End Of The Beginning' kicks things off with a typical Iommi riff, before toning down in the fashion of the song of the band's namesake before launching into a driving trademark Iommi riff and solo. Nearly 45 years since debuting the sound, Iommi remains the master of the doom-laden riff. First single, 'God Is Dead?', continues the demonic tone. With a delibrate pace, the band sounds menacing throughout while Ozzy sounds better here than he has done for a long time, his pronunciation clear and precise and showing no signs of struggling to hold a measure. Iommi's guitar sounds heavy with sounding like its been layered too much.

'Zeitgeist' breaks up the album nicely, being much more subdued in tone before the band come roaring back on 'Age Of Reason' before really picking up the pace on 'Live Forever'. When I say "picking up the pace", I don't mean they're trying to play blastbeat drums or try to match Dragonforce for guitar speed, its just that this is the first time they play at any kind of speed on the album, the rest of the time the songs are focused around a heavy sounding bluesy-metal riff ('Damaged Soul') and Ozzy's vocal. The band have, to use an old cliche, gone back to their roots rather than trying to match the new crop of modern metal bands.

Whereas metal has taken on so many different playing styles and characteristics since Black Sabbath first appeared all those years ago, on this album they have produced a very traditional sounding metal album. If they were to have recorded their 1970 self-titled debut album in 2013, it would sound very much like what you find on 13. That's not to say that the band have simply ripped off their own backcatalouge, more a case of knowing their place in the history of the metal genre and knowing what the fans expect from you. This being a Black Sabbath with Ozzy record, fans will have a certain expectation for it to differentiate it from a Black Sabbath with Dio record in the same way that Judas Priest or Iron Maiden played it differently when having a line-up change (Rob Halford for Tim 'Riper' Owens and Bruce Dickinson for Balze Bayley respectively). While the album is very enjoyable, you can't help but feel that they have played it safe to a certain degree. Be that as it may, this is still a Black Sabbath album and their legacy preceeds them. There is alot to be enjoyed here, but ground-breaking it isn't, not that I expected it be.

8/10

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Been announced that Marco Aro has rejoined The Haunted, has to be one of the only occasions that a band has replaced their original vocalist with the same guy twice. Great news though, the two albums they put out with Aro were my favorite records of the bands. Aro definitely aint the creative type like Peter Dolving but his straight forward almost hardcore like delivery was always my preference.

Look forward to hearing the new shit!.