The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'll take this opportunity to say how disappointed I was with Rock or Bust. Black Ice was up there as one of their best top to bottom albums and it had a couple of real standout tracks on there too.

Rock or bust feels like its all filler, nothing stands out or is memorable and just churns on in the background.

I got tickets for the tour, because its the best of with a couple of new tracks any way, and they were class when I caught a couple last time out but it felt one of the most underwhelming albums they have done.

My musical taste is all over the place and about 10 years behind what's in so I'll probably have a best album of 2014 in 2025 :(

I haven't even got round to listening to Rock Or Bust yet. When I heard they were working on a new album I thought it would be a while till it was out as was the case between Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice. To then get it in the same year was quite the suprise and figured they've either blasted through it with kind of rush of creativity, or it could just be a by the numbers AC/DC album. I'll give it a proper go soon though.

Forgot to mention Pink Floyd - Endless River was enjoyable in a for what it is kind of way and it did make me go and listen to my PF albums which I haven't done for a long time

Tough one regarding the best albums this year. I'd like to mention the following as some of the best.

- Death From Above 1979 - Physical World

- Royal Blood debut album

- Slipknots Fifth Album

- War On Drugs - Suffering

- Pixies - Indie Cindy

- Catfish And The Bottlemen debut album

- Rancid - Honor Is All We Know

- Kasabian - 48:15

- Smashing Pumpkins new album

- Steel Panther - All You Can Eat

Edited by Professor Paul's Bin

Not too many Metal albums made it into my top of 2014 but Boris were back on form with Noise, the best they've released in years although, they've never actually been shit or anything.

Sleeping Peonies and Clouds Collide put out an amazing split

Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

11Paranoias - Stealing Fire From Heaven

Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall

Morbus Chron - Sweven

Scott Walker and Sunn O)) - Soused

Full Of Hell + Merzbow

Bong - Stoner Rock

Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

Ok, there's more than I realised and some of these I really need to revisit. One thing i do remember is that Electric Wizards latest was shit, they've become so pissing dull.