The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

yeh it's a bit of a departure aint it.

I'm all for bands experimenting and all that stuff, but that's a case of completely alienating the metal fanbase. Architects seem to have taken the obvious route of capitalising on their fanbase. For some reason, they seem to be one of these bands who appeal to the Bring Me The Horizon-crowd, it's heavy stuff but it just isn't accepted by the metal community. It doesn't seem to have harmed the band, they are bigger than ever. The whole problem with this scene is eventually the fans who are listening to it are gonna move onto something else and they'll be forgotten. Still, all power to 'em...

I do actually intend to listen to the new Architects album though, it's had some really good reviews.

I can't listen to the Architects song atm but is the whole album supposed to be similar or is it just one song. I'll also be checking out the album whatever.

Why is it that 'metalcore' bands seem to be hated by alot of hardcore metal fans. I'm going to see Whitechapel on Wednesday, and bands like them and Suicide Silence seem to be disliked. Is it just the image that they are disliked for???

Basically people see the deathcore and metalcore scenes as "false metal" because they add elements of hardcore (such as beatdowns and gang vocals) to make the music more accessible. This coupled with the heart-throb image of some of the singers, like Oli Sykes and Mitch Lucker, leads to often unwarranted scorn from die-hard metallers.

The whole argument annoys me to be honest. People moan about these bands trying to make their music accessible yet wank themselves silly over the likes of Iron Maiden. And quite rightly so as the Irons are mint, but Maiden have some of the biggest pop choruses going. I mean Run To The Hills is Eurovision stuff, and I mean that in a very good way. You also have bands like Lamb of God who are loved for incorporating hardcore elements into some of their stuff, but get away with it because they look like Pantera.

It annoys me because we're all considered non-mainstream and a bit weird for liking metal by fans of other genres, why can't everyone stick together irrespective of the type of metal they like? I don't like Killswitch Engage but I'm not going to have a go at someone and claim it isn't real metal because A) it clearly is and B) if it's what you like then you're entitled to enjoy it.

Yeah totally agree with what you say about metal fans and why alot of them annoy me (many of my friends included).

I've just had a listen to the Architects song. Wow! I didn't expect that. I actually quite like it but hope it's a one off on the album. I prefer there heavier stuff.

• Paid Members

the album is still heavy from what ive heard, not to the level of the older stuff and there's lots of added poppy hooks.

the hatred for these bands comes solely from the image, Metal Hammer did a piece a few months back where they had band members from respected metal bands listen to Bring Me The Horizon without saying who it was and the responce was very positive. It won't make the general fan change their mind on them, but the close mindedness is a little stupid.

It'll be interesting to see how these bands are looked upon in a few years time, i'd also be interested to go back and see how the bands i loved growing up were percieved by the die-hards. I was a big nu-metal fan in my teens and i can only imagine the scorn thrown at that by the old school.

Anybody heard any good, new-ish Black Metal lately?

The new Gallhammer album is good, but if your looking for stuff closer to home: Fen, Winterfylleth, Eastern Front

Are Dragged into Sunlight classed as black metal? There still good anyway.

Edited by Mock-The-Cross

• Paid Members

on the case of Black Metal, ive recently been listening to me some Satyricon, great band who i neglected for way too long. Anyway's, i know they put a kind of commercial sheen on Black Metal, but it's great stuff.

Any recommendations of similar acts to Satyricon's more recent output?

Anybody heard any good, new-ish Black Metal lately?

The new Gallhammer album is good, but if your looking for stuff closer to home: Fen, Winterfylleth, Eastern Front

Are Dragged into Sunlight classed as black metal? There still good anyway.

Ha, I know Tom, the vocalist from Dragged Into Sunlight. Incredible band! Been meaning to check out Fen, was gonna' try and catch them at Damnation last year but I think they clashed with somebody.

And im after anything really, not too bothered about preferences, I just love checking out BM I haven't heard before. But in saying that, theres an awful lot of garbage so it's hard to know whats good. Looking forward to the new Blut Aus Nord

• Paid Members

The new Sargeist is really good, I'll definitely recommend that one.

One of my favourite black metal acts from the last few years was Wolves in the Throne Room's "Two Hunters." Very organic sounding epic black metal that will put you into a trance if you let it. Essential if you've not checked it out yet.

I'm also very keen on the new Blood of Kingu album, "Sun In The House Of The Scorpion." It's a project from the guys that brought us Hate Forest and Drudkh.

Askival's "Eternity" has become one of my favourite albums. This has a very clean massive, almost film soundtrack-esque sound with grandiose keyboards and a big folk influence. My favourite Scottish black metal album.

And while not being new, here's a largely forgotten gem from 1996. Gnome, a one man band from Japan released this. Very Burzumy and I personally love it.

I'll also throw in one of my favourite new bands of recent years, the mighty Skeletonwitch. They mix black, thrash and death with a heavy NWOBHM influence to produce some absolutely jizzworthy music.

There's a few varied suggestions for ya.

• Paid Members

Any love for the Galactic Cowboys in here?

I found these lot because of the film Airheads, they are playing a gig and in the film use the name of "Sons of Thunder"... they start playing a song with the lyrics "Dont Hate me", from a song called "dont hate me because i am beautiful". I was trying to find that particular song for bloody ages only to find out that it has never been released and that 8 second clip of the song (on airheads) is the only actual recording of the song, nothing else.

No idea how true that is as its a wiki statement, but it would make sense seeing as i cant find the bugger any where.

A couple of other things ive heard in the past, apparently back in the day when they were signed up, the lable had a choice to push METALLICA or Galactic Cowboys, they went with Metallica and the rest is history.

Apparently the lads in the band are all Christians but dont tie that to the band or music, you wouldnt really guess they are christians based on their music in other words.

So yeah, any other fans?

So I so out of touch with metal and all things associated these days can anyone recommend us a listen to stuff that is likely to end up in Rock Nights and so on just so I can have a clue :blush:

Went to a rock night last night and recognised all of 2 songs and one of them was Paramore :omg:

So yeah anything really

Also some pop punk stylings recommendations of the likes of Zebraheads would be handy

• Paid Members

all the pop-punk these days seem to be from bands like A Day To Remember, All Time Low, Blitz Kids, You Me At 6 etc. I couldn't recommend any tunes because i dont really know what any of them sound like, but i read about them in magazines all the time. I'm the kind of person who stays upto date in print, but not in actual listening :confused:

Whenever i goto rock clubs (which is rare these days) they still play the same tired shit from the 90's...decent tunes granted, but System of a Down did have tunes other than Chop Suey.

• Paid Members
Whenever i goto rock clubs (which is rare these days) they still play the same tired shit from the 90's...decent tunes granted, but System of a Down did have tunes other than Chop Suey.

Thats a major gripe of mine. DJ's selections at most rock clubs/nights are incredibly lazy.

Chop Suey

Down With The Sickness

Freak On A Leash

Party Hard

Break Stuff

Killing In The Name

Welcome To The Jungle

Voodoo People

Are all always played in the last couple of hours at every club night in Aberdeen. :sleeping: