DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
The most recent film I watched was Mannequin on telly, which reminded me I right now have a better chance with girls made of plastic.

I watched Mannequin a couple of week ago and found it massively enjoyable.

Regarding your situation with the women, maybe if you threaten to drop them into a big shredding/mangling machine they'll agree to let you bone them?

• Paid Members
Regarding your situation with the women, maybe if you threaten to drop them into a big shredding/mangling machine they'll agree to let you bone them?

Good shout, although that might be harder to arrange than my current strategy of paying them.

As for Mannequin, like a lot of 80s films its quality is in the payoff. Apart from the obvious romance, you want the annoying bloke thats pursuing Roxy to succeed... sort of.. but he's really detestable so what happens there is brilliant, they deserve each other, and you get to see Switcher stick one on a young James Spader, who has had it coming the whole film. Class.

Inception

I once described The Butterfly Effect on here as "a smart movie for dumb people" and yet I found the very same string of words swimming through my head while watching Inception. I guess that might be unfair as it's a good, solid three-out-of-five film that would force me to alter my Butterfly Effect summary to "a smart movie for retards" so in the interest of fairness, I'll refrain from lumping Inception in with that abortion, but it is a film that is nowhere near as clever or as deep as it thinks it is.

Positives include the stunning visuals and solid performances from Leonardo DiCaprio, Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cottilard. It surprises me to see critics say stuff like "Finally DiCaprio impresses" or similar patronising statements, considering he's arguably the best actor of his generation (history will reflect this) and almost always turns in an excellent performance. He did his very best here too but it's a fairly convoluted character.

Negatives... it's way too long, at least by half an hour. Ellen Page is rubbish and deeply unattractive. Honestly I found myself more attracted to DiCaprio, Murphy, Gordon-Levitt and Hardy and I'm a heterosexual male. Seriously, her face is longer than that last Lord Of The Rings film and she has a forehead you could project the film on. I read one review that said she is "the heart and soul" of the film which is utter bullshit. She's a passenger, and in that respect she gamely delivers.

The entire film really has a deep sense of narcissism and back-slapping running through it. I've always found Christopher Nolan to be a hugely overrated filmmaker and I really get the sense that this was a massive vanity project for him. Sure he made Warner Brothers a billion dollars with the just-as-overrated Dark Knight so it's nice that they gave him a huge budget for his arthouse blockbuster, and yes I am glad films like this exist because we need films that make us think as well as ones that make us laugh and shout at the screen (only ever at home with friends, never in a cinema... it's an etiquette thing you see) but this didn't offer anything new.

While this is a mostly negative take, I didn't hate the film, I don't think it's shit and I did quite like it. Like I said, three out of five. However, don't believe the hype.

• Paid Members

Seven, I like reading your opinions, but this time you've gone too far.

ellen-page.jpg

No one disrespects my future wife. :wub:

• Paid Members

I've had lots of wanks over Hard Candy. Sorry, Green. If it's any consolation, it's always a struggle to wank through the

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

castration

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); scene.

Good shout. I think that film is a bit under-rated but then I am completely bias for both Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson.

I've had lots of wanks over Hard Candy. Sorry, Green. If it's any consolation, it's always a struggle to wank through the

castration

[close spoiler]

Good shout. I think that film is a bit under-rated but then I am completely bias for both Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson.

I thought it was a cracking two-hander, perhaps the best I've seen. For a feature length film that really only has two people on-screen, it worked so well.

• Paid Members

castration

[close spoiler]

I thought it was a cracking two-hander, perhaps the best I've seen. For a feature length film that really only has two people on-screen, it worked so well.

You should check out Moon, it's in a similar vein and arguably a much better film.

No Ellen Page though :(

I don't rate Moon anywhere near as highly. Major kudos to Rockwell for the performance, but I just didn't take to the film. The concept gives a lot of food for thought, it is an interesting discussion-sparker I imagine, but as a film it didn't engage me. It was a bit like a dull, creepy episode of Red Dwarf. I did watch it on a PSP on a coach, mind. And I've never actually spoken to anyone about it.

Edited by Pityinthecityofsin