DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Hans Zimmer has always been fairly lazy. It's hard to tell any of his scores apart, they're all so similiar. But I guess that's what people hire him for.

He doesn't even bother writing them any more. He has a bunch of underlings who pump out Zimmer-esque scores for undemanding action directors, and he'll probably write the "head", which will be that same collection of notes he always has as his themes.

I hate Zimmer. The last studio I was working at, they all loved Zimmer and thought Michael Bay was the best director in the world right now. It did my head in.

frankie2.jpg

Watched the brilliant The Revenge of Frankenstein just now on youtube. During the film I had to endure no less than 8 adverts. Thankfully, the ads were strategically placed at the ends of scenes, making them less intrusive than in other youtube movies I

• Paid Members

Alright, so just HOW fucking great is Taken? WHAT a fucking awesome film. THAT is how you make a completely riveting action thriller - no pissing around, simple main plot, great action scenes, strong leading man. Bloody brilliant.

• Moderators

Taken is of course super awesome, but how bad is the chick who plays Kim? So shit! She's like 30-something playing a teenager, so what she does to act young is run like a retarded 5 year old in every scene.

It's good that she's not really in the film all that much. Sadly it looks like she'll have a bigger role in the sequel.

Like in, say, Inception?

Not really. Inception had several points where it seemed like Arnie Grape wasn't going to be able to put the microchip in the Irish lad's head. I forget the plot, to be honest, but whatever Leo was trying to do didn't just come easy to him at every step. Taken was just a series of action scenes where the hero was never in any danger of failing. He didn't even have a black mate who got killed. The most trouble Neeson was in was that one bit when some red-taper wouldn't give him a VISA or something.

• Paid Members
Taken is of course super awesome, but how bad is the chick who plays Kim? So shit! She's like 30-something playing a teenager, so what she does to act young is run like a retarded 5 year old in every scene.

It's good that she's not really in the film all that much. Sadly it looks like she'll have a bigger role in the sequel.

She's really shit but it's a crap role so it's not really Maggie Grace's fault. She serves her purpose, though, she's doing the Alyssa Milano bit.

Like in, say, Inception?

Not really. Inception had several points where it seemed like Arnie Grape wasn't going to be able to put the microchip in the Irish lad's head. I forget the plot, to be honest, but whatever Leo was trying to do didn't just come easy to him at every step. Taken was just a series of action scenes where the hero was never in any danger of failing. He didn't even have a black mate who got killed. The most trouble Neeson was in was that one bit when some red-taper wouldn't give him a VISA or something.

And now much peril was Dutch ever in during Commando? Was there ever a point in Rambo where you really thought he'd get killed? Beaing genuinely fearful for the protagonist isn't really a requirement of the action genre, that's more for horror. Action movies are about intense drama, fistpumping death and mayhem, and a simple good-bad division that the audience understands so that it can get behind the hero.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's a staple of the vast majority of thrillers and action films. Singling Taken out for it is daft. My issue with Inception is that the enemy were so cack-handed that you didn't think ANY of them were in peril, which is ridiculous considering there was a whole team of them rather than just the one guy.