DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Marvellous, I'd love to watch that again, it was superb!

And on a similar note, here's An Evening With Gary Lineker from a few years before that, which was also excellent:-

Speaking of 3D, has anyone else seen the Spiderman trailer in 3D? The parts where there were no big movements looked great, but as soon as you got into the action scenes, it became almost unwatchable. Things like Spiderman swinging through buildings, etc, were awful, and super blurry and messy looking. Has anyone else noticed the same?

No, because I hate 3d.. But is it the same Spiderman trailer that has been doing the rounds on the net for a while, or is this a new one? Will have to look it up if the latter.

Same one thats been out for a while, but Spiderman's quip about the small gun was edited out for some reason.

Just watched Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Superman vs. The Elite

Public Enemies was a decent enough story, all about president Luthor going off his rocker. I felt a little flat at some major moments of the story just because the way it was revealed. Plus the artwork was very... weird. Apparently Batman is half black in this story. And everyone had a six pack, except Powergirl and Toyman.

Superman Vs. The Elite I can't say enough good things about. The story is great (Although it was based on Joe Kelly's 'What's so funny about Truth Justice and the American Way?') and the animation suits the tone of the story and the voicing is done very well. Honestly, I would say this is my favourite DC animated film thus far.

Is there a Mission:Impossible code? Watched all for of them lately and, for the most part, they're really good, fun movies. I have a hard-on for Tom Cruise so I'm probably a little bit biased though.

The first movie has the best storyline and the best scene (the bit where he has to hang down and use the computer). Jon Voight is in it which bumps it up slightly. I did laugh at the toy helicopter being used for the end scene though.

The second was apparently a mess to film with various walk outs and most of John Woos script ending up on the cutting room floor and it shows. Typical John Woo American movie though. Not much else to say.

I'm going to lump 3 and 4 together as they're both kind of the same. Basic plot with great scenes and stunts. I think I prefer 3 to 4 but will have to re-watch to know for sure. I know Cruise did the Dubai stunt in real life but did he do the Shanghai one for 3 as well?

My M:I code is: 1,3,4,2

• Paid Members
Any Return of the Living Dead fans knocking about? Some how I'd seen part 2 as a Teen but didn't see the original until a couple of nights back. Tremendous entertainment. Its like the Thriller video had some balls. I love that style of 80s horror and output from studios like Orion.

The blu ray steelbook is fantastic as well. Its got at least 4hrs of special features that include a great 2hour documentary. Not only that but the steel has the original audio track that has never been on any previous home video release due to music rights issues. Seeing as its my first watch its not such a big deal but i imagine for longterm fans its a must have.

Linnea Quigley as the red headed punk in it was the fittest woman in the world when teenage me saw it back in the day

• Paid Members

Carry On Emannuelle

I'm only admitting to this as the rest of you are watching shit films at the moment too.

First time I've seen this one. I've caught moments of it on TV before, but it's been so shit, I usually turn off after less than ten minutes. Not only is it shit, it's shit at being shit. It doesn't even have any retrospective, ironic shit charm.

It's not so much crude, as just lazily crass. Who ever wrote this clearly doesn't understand jokes, and just went for the "wacky situation" approach, or the "state the obvious and hope people think it's a pun".

I actually felt embarressed for Kenneth Williams when he's naked on the bed, and ended the film with a touch of sadness that he, Kenneth Conner, Joan Sims and Peter Butterworth appeared in it. It would be so much easier if non of the core cast appeared and I could pretend it's not actually a Carry On film.

Overall, just absolute shit. The fact that Kenneth Williams insisted it be rewritten to this turgid standard makes me wonder just how bad the original script was.

I suspect the commentary track is just 90 minutes of someone crying.

Edited by bAzTNM#1 Fan

• Paid Members

I watched Double Indemnity last night.

It's a 1944 Noir set in LA. An insurance salesman and an unhappy wife agree to pull a scam and collect on an accident insurance policy taken out in the name of her husband. However, the salesman works with a claims manager who has brilliant instincts and sense a scam from 1000 miles. He must convince him that the death was an accident.

To be honest, i'm not usually one for films in black and white unless they're Laurel and Hardy but I loved it. It's clever, touching and in places funny. I'd recommend it although if you've read the book, be aware that the ending is different.

Just watched Young Adult. Erm....ugh. I dunno, really. I'm not sure I like this Diablo Cody.

:(

I downloaded that the other day, read a good review somewhere. Didn't know it was a Diablo Cody thing though, that's put me off watching it now.

• Paid Members
Carry On Emannuelle

They all seem sad, and lost, and old. Even worse to see Beryl Reid dragged into that spiral. The cinema in the UK changed so much between even 1973 and 1978, and it's sad to think that they were playing catch up with the fucking Confessions movies, and even worse, Come Play with Me. Mean spirited exploitations of comedy talents, rather than actually using them to full advantage. It was a short, shitty road from there to The Playbirds, and Confessions from the David Galaxy Affair.

• Paid Members
Just watched Young Adult. Erm....ugh. I dunno, really. I'm not sure I like this Diablo Cody.

:(

I downloaded that the other day, read a good review somewhere. Didn't know it was a Diablo Cody thing though, that's put me off watching it now.

It was just really dull. It wasn't funny. There was only two people in it who were at all interesting and their relationship was completely unbelievable. That said, Charlize Theron is REALLY good in it.