DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Are these films any good, or are they just rose-tinted nostalgia good?

No, they're crap. Deliberately crap films are the worst.

You may not like them but they are absolutely not deliberately crap. They work EXTREMELY hard with very small budgets to make the best film they can in there style of offensive comedy slapstick horror.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

You may not like them but they are absolutely not deliberately crap. They work EXTREMELY hard with very small budgets to make the best film they can in there style of offensive comedy slapstick horror.

Deliberately crap. Realized that it was best to get into a niche of shit films that appealed to... I dunno what... and stayed in that niche since that point. Until they fucked up their finances it was going swimmingly, so hats off to them for that, but their films are wank. Their outside pickups are frequently better.

• Paid Members
Any film called Killer Condom is deliberately crap and no-one will ever convince me otherwise.

Ah when I say Troma films I mean films Directed by Lloyd Kaufman. They have hundreds of extremely ropey films that they distribute like Killer Condom. I highly recommend the feature length making of Documentrys for his films. They are a really interesting insight into low budget film making.

• Paid Members

Deliberately crap. Realized that it was best to get into a niche of shit films that appealed to... I dunno what... and stayed in that niche since that point. Until they fucked up their finances it was going swimmingly, so hats off to them for that, but their films are wank. Their outside pickups are frequently better.

Well thats a personal taste you don't like the niche which is completely fair. Doesn' t make them delibrately crap. That infers that they intend to fail to make a good film of there genre which is nonsense.

• Paid Members

He directed Tales From The Crapper!

I can completely understand people liking Troma films and have no issue with it at all, but I personally think all of the ones that I have ever seen are really boring and altogether too stupid for their own good.

• Paid Members
He directed Tales From The Crapper!

I can completely understand people liking Troma films and have no issue with it at all, but I personally think all of the ones that I have ever seen are really boring and altogether too stupid for their own good.

Sort of, Tales From the Crapper is ainteresting one. It was originally made by a different I Director but finansed by Troma. But the production went wrong somewhere and Lloyd stepped in to try and save it. Totally get your thoughts on his films and some of them I think the same about. They definatley arnt for everyone.

• Moderators

Troma are kinda heartbreaking, because Lloyd Kaufman's such an entertaining, likable guy, and their whole "do everything our way" mindset is fabulous, but the movies are almost unwatchably bad. I remember looking at the covers and titles when I was a teenager and thinking they must be the most fun thing in the world to watch, but generally they're not even so bad they're good, they're just inept, boring, and go on for way too long.

There's a documentary called All The Love You Cannes, about them going to the Cannes film festival to get distribution, which doesn't paint the company in a good light at all. Aside from Lloyd, who's mostly great, every single person on that crew is indescribably obnoxious, violent, and happy to ruin people's days and property for a laugh.

I wish I could find the making of Terra Firma again. I remember that being a cracking behind the scenes doc. Some luck now, after the filesharing holocaust.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

28 Weeks Later. Not seen this since it's first release. I feel I enjoyed it more second time round. There was a big dark cloud hanging over it when it was first released because the 'yanks' took over it. Yes it still has that American feel to it but I was able to ignore that fact and was able to enjoy the film more. It's got quite the cast too. Robert Carlyle, Rose Byrne, Jeremy Renner, Harold Perrineau & Idris Elba (who is being tipped as the next Bond according to a mate of mine). 28 Months Later is apparently in the pipeline too.

Hardly the best of sources, Stevie mate. He'd make a good Bond, although I think Michael Fassbender would make an even better one.

Edited by Trevor

• Paid Members
Troma are kinda heartbreaking, because Lloyd Kaufman's such an entertaining, likable guy, and their whole "do everything our way" mindset is fabulous, but the movies are almost unwatchably bad. I remember looking at the covers and titles when I was a teenager and thinking they must be the most fun thing in the world to watch, but generally they're not even so bad they're good, they're just inept, boring, and go on for way too long.

There's a documentary called All The Love You Cannes, about them going to the Cannes film festival to get distribution, which doesn't paint the company in a good light at all. Aside from Lloyd, who's mostly great, every single person on that crew is indescribably obnoxious, violent, and happy to ruin people's days and property for a laugh.

I wish I could find the making of Terra Firma again. I remember that being a cracking behind the scenes doc. Some luck now, after the filesharing holocaust.

Yeah the rest of the crew on All The Love You Cannes come off like complete twats. The Terra Firmer doc is awesome if you can't find it give either Apocalypse Soon: The Making of Citizen Toxie or Poultry in Motion: The Making of Poultrygiest. Both fantastic.

All the Love you Cannes is a very interesting documentary, the big problem with it is they do the entire thing on a shoestring budget, so the people who go are unpaid interns. So the one guy was just a complete dick who didn't want to work and spent a lot of the time dicking about. The whole documentary was more about how to promote your own films on an international market with very little cash. Lloyd Kaufman's books So You Think You Can Direct/Produce are extremely interesting and informative, whilst being very entertaining to read.

• Paid Members

I look at Lloyd Kaufmann as a modern day Roger Corman. The films are shitty, but made with love. Would rather watch that any day than some Nic Cage shite like Knowing.