DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Awards Moderator

I have no idea whether On Stranger Tides was any good or not because it was absolutely ruined for me by the 3D. Dreadful to the point where after half an hour of failing to tolerate it I just took the glasses off and put up with some slight blurring for the rest of the film. Adds depth? Fuck off, it sucks you right out of any ability to get into the film. I can barely remember anything that happened in that first part of Tides - all I know is that there were some bits that looked like they were in front of other bits.

Others I know have had the same experiences with other films - Voyage of the Dawntreader (which I haven't seen) and Thor (which I have) being two recent examples. I can't speak for Dawntreader, but Thor is one of my favourite films of the year so far, I loved it. But apparently the 3D destroyed any enjoyment of that as well.

I'm giving up on them. Unless they're some kind of super-special-ultra-made-for-3D type film like Avatar, or a fully animated thing where the 3D doesn't add anything but doesn't hurt either (like Up), I'm sticking to 'also available in 2D'.

There are other exceptions - Tron Legacy was great fun in 3D, because it was mega-all-CG-lightcycle-craziness, and it makes sense that The Grid would be 3D. What I respected about Tron is that for all the bits that took place in the real world, they kept it 2D. Only in The Grid did they add the extra dimension. There are certain types of films that work well with it - the new Transformers looks to be one of these (I thought Burton's Alice in Wonderland was too, but I appear to have been in the minority there). BUT IT DOESN'T WORK WITH EVERY FILM. It doesn't even work all the way through every film. At least 80% of Pirates should have been kept 2D (and, if watching without glasses was anything to go by, basically was anyway), and the 'real' bits of Tron would have been appalling if they were in 3D too.

But I have a feeling I'm wrong. Because 'also available in 2D' is slowly disappearing. In order to see Thor in 2D, my mates and I had to go at about 10.15 on a Saturday morning. For Pirates, we couldn't find a 2D showing outside of working hours. And it's only going to get harder. I know that 3D's sticking around - not just because of the extra money you can charge, and because of anti-piracy blah blah shit shit, but because people are ACTUALLY GOING TO THE FUCKING THINGS. I can't imagine this is entirely out of choice - surely by now enough people have seen enough 3D films to know the majority of them look shit and take away from enjoyment of the film. The novelty factor has well and truly gone, too. But if you go to the cinema, and the only showings you can see for your film of choice are 3D, of course you're going to do that, because you won't see your film otherwise.

James Cameron's claiming everything will be 3D in five years. I fucking hope not, is all I'm saying, but I have a feeling he'll be right. Watching Paul Merton's Birth of Hollywood (which I'd really recommend catching, except they took it off iPlayer this morning), in the third episode he talked about the advent of talking pictures. Did people have the same negative reaction to talkies in the 20s that I'm having with 3D? Those people must have eventually got used to them, and realised that from then on, every film was going to have sound in it... should I just shut up and do the same? I'm desperate to see the last Harry Potter film, and I'd love to see it on a massive IMAX screen, but I know that any and all IMAX showings will be in 3D, and I really, really don't want my enjoyment of the film to be ruined like it was with Pirates because of crappy 3D. So I'll scour the listings for 'also available in 2D', but sooner rather than later, even that might not be an option...

Is 3D really the future, and I'm just wrong? Help me out here.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

ive pretty much given up on 3d movies as well, i loved Avatar but that was kinda made for 3d, these shitty 3d conversions they are doing are shocking. The fact that i went to the cinema the other day and On Stranger Tides in 2d had 6 showings whilst the 3d one only had 1 might be an indication that public are getting sick of em as well.

Thor wasn't ruined by 3D for me, simply because it was barely noticeable and hardly used.

I can't find the article but there was some well known guy who works in movies (i know thats vague but i can't remember if he was producer/director or what). And he basically complained about how 3D was being used wrongly by the studios. But did say that Transformers 3 should be the next big film to change peoples minds on 3D.

I watched Insidious last night and it was one of the best horror's I've seen in ages, had the hairs on me arms standing on end a few times ( mainly due to the music )

It got a bit shite in the last half hour or so but it was still really good I thought

I watched Insidious last night and it was one of the best horror's I've seen in ages, had the hairs on me arms standing on end a few times ( mainly due to the music )

It got a bit shite in the last half hour or so but it was still really good I thought

Did you see it in the cinema or on a TV?

I found with the Paranormal Activity's that they were great for a cinema experience but were really shit when watched again at home.

Funny enough I watched Avatar for the first time at home last night in 3D and really enjoyed it. The only thing that I would say is that its hard (might be just me) to keep concentration throughout the whole film as your pretty much focused on all 3D elements of the film, sounds stupid but because it takes a toll on your eyes a little bit you try to keep awake/focused but lose focus a little bit on the actual story. Was a good film though but because of all the hype I downplayed the expectations and just enjoyed it for what it was.

I do think 3D is better at home than the cinema though going by what I have seen.

Edited by denzel_maggiore

• Paid Members

I found with the Paranormal Activity's that they were great for a cinema experience but were really shit when watched again at home.

I found the exact opposite. Watching films like that alone in the dark is way better than at the cinema. Much better atmosphere.

I found the exact opposite. Watching films like that alone in the dark is way better than at the cinema. Much better atmosphere.

Strange, I just find the atmosphere is better when there are people in there genuinely shit scared as with paranormal activity yet at home its just you and your sensible thoughts.

Interesting that Denzel thinks 3D is better at home too, ive not seen 3D on a TV yet but I imagine youd need it to be on a pretty big screen ala 50"+ for it to be any good, I always thought the reason it looked good at the cinema was that the size of the screen gave it much better scope but may be wrong.

• Paid Members

Strange, I just find the atmosphere is better when there are people in there genuinely shit scared as with paranormal activity yet at home its just you and your sensible thoughts.

Interesting that Denzel thinks 3D is better at home too, ive not seen 3D on a TV yet but I imagine youd need it to be on a pretty big screen ala 50"+ for it to be any good, I always thought the reason it looked good at the cinema was that the size of the screen gave it much better scope but may be wrong.

I guess Paranormal Activity is a bad example mind as that film was just awful regardless.