DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Another Poundland buy. A double pack of 'Masters of Horror' tv movies.

1st John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns. From imdb With a torrid past that haunts him, a movie-theater director is hired to hunt for the only known print of a film so notorious that its single screening caused the viewers to become homicidally insane. Although a bit slow, very enjoyable and couple of great gore moments! I also enjoyed it a bit more because i used to work as a cinema projectionist and it has lots of cool bits connected with that.

Secondly, Stuart Gordon's Dreams in the Witch House. Imdb A graduate student questions his sanity after he rents a room in an old boarding house which was the residence of a 17th Century witch, and he figures out that the evil forces still roam within the walls. Maybe not as good as CB but still great fun. I loved the scene and moment when

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

he pushes his thumbs into the witches eyes until blood explodes out.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();.

After looking at these on imdb, i want to try and see all of the other episodes.

...and i've just looked on play and the 4 boxsets are 9.99 each, so i think i will check them out soon.

gotta get to poundland!!

i saw some of the Masters of Horror things, it's a bit hit and miss...the Carpenter episode is good stuff though.

Another Poundland buy. A double pack of 'Masters of Horror' tv movies.

1st John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns. From imdb With a torrid past that haunts him, a movie-theater director is hired to hunt for the only known print of a film so notorious that its single screening caused the viewers to become homicidally insane. Although a bit slow, very enjoyable and couple of great gore moments! I also enjoyed it a bit more because i used to work as a cinema projectionist and it has lots of cool bits connected with that.

Secondly, Stuart Gordon's Dreams in the Witch House. Imdb A graduate student questions his sanity after he rents a room in an old boarding house which was the residence of a 17th Century witch, and he figures out that the evil forces still roam within the walls. Maybe not as good as CB but still great fun. I loved the scene and moment when

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

he pushes his thumbs into the witches eyes until blood explodes out.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();.

After looking at these on imdb, i want to try and see all of the other episodes.

...and i've just looked on play and the 4 boxsets are 9.99 each, so i think i will check them out soon.

Yes, you should, There are some cracking ones on the box sets. I have both the first and 2nd series.. Well worth

SAW 3D - WILL CONTAIN SOME MASSIVE SPOILERS!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I really enjoyed it despite the fact that as soon as i heard Dr Gordan would be returning in it i knew he'd be a key part of the plot/finale and wouldn't you know it i was right. That being said however the build up to the big reveal at the end is superb to watch, the ongoing battle between Hoffman and Jill is cracking stuff and even though Jill is eventually killed(I marked out for the reverse bear trap being brought back) it was great to see Hoffman finally get his comeuppance in a very fitting fashion.

There's some decent traps throughout and some pretty gory and gruesome moments but that's to be expected. My only real complaint about the film was that i thought the 3D stuff was pretty shit and completely unnecessary but that's a minor niggle.

Overall i'd give it 7/10 it's a fitting end to the series.

• Paid Members

THE SPOILERS ARE SPOILERS THAT WILL SPOIL!!!

Day: This very day

Time: This very evening

Audience: Myself and my good friend, Richtor

Film: Saw 3D

Rating: 4.5 stars

Comments: SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I LOVED IT SO MUCH!!! I'm so very easily pleased but to see Dr Gordon back as a key accomplice (as has been hinted), and things wrapped up in a neat little package was amazing. Yes I am a whore for the franchise but fuck it, we all have our cross to bare!! Best one since the first one by more than a country mile but it really didn't need 3D.

Edited by Gordon_The_Gopher

• Paid Members
I take issue with this whole "Company" thing. How can you be in your own company?

Thing is, I don't have an answer to that. If anyone can come up with one, let me know. Ta.

Maybe just change "Company" to "Audience". Voila!

Noted and changed. Thanks you kindly :-)

Went to see The Social Network last night, and I was really, really impressed. Some excellent performances from all the main cast, particularly the guy playing Eduardo, and Michael Cera 2, who I think has now become actually better than Michael Cera due to having the ability to play at least two roles - Mark Zuckerberg and Michael Cera. Either way, I had no interest in this until I saw David Fincher's name on the trailer, but even then I was pleasantly surprised. Good story, great soundtrack, superb acting and a nice portion of Rashida Jones to shuffle my semi-on about to made this a bit of a triumph. Probably the best film I've seen all year actually.

• Paid Members

GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra.

I wasn't expecting much and I've seen far worse, but whenever something remotely decent looked like it was about to happen, it didn't. As for the "bad" guys, sweet Jesus. If you want your villains to be booed, don't show them attacking France.

• Paid Members

seeings as its Halloween i got a horror movie in, watched The Mist, i know this thing splits opinion down the middle...my housemate said its one of the worst films hes ever seen (although hes someone who watches movies whilst playing on the internet, so his opinion means squat). I thought this was f'n excellent....basic setup, mist covers a town, and there's some creepy shit in the mist, the movie focuses on a group of people stuck in a supermarket. Most people say the key to a good horror movie is to make the viewer care about the characters in danger, this movie does and i found it pretty effecting. The focus on human reaction to such a crisis is as much a part of the horror as the shit on the outside. The ending is about as downbeat as you could imagine too, it shocked me.

One problem i had with it...and its likely the reason people shit on it, was the cgi. At times it was excellent, but it was a case of too much...the scenes where you got glimpses were great, but some of the stuff looked like it came from Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus. Shame :(

I'll have to watch the black and white version now that also included on the dvd.

• Paid Members

I didn't like the ending. I don't mind downbeat endings but this one actually didn't make sense in the context of what went before. Good to see a mainstream film trying something like that but it still didn't fit.

I didn't mind the CGI but the bit where they went to the pharmacy was ridiculous in terms of the sound effects of these creatures as they sounded like something out of Gremlins or Eight Legged Freaks.

A sequel would be nice though. And Marcia Gay Harden and Thomas Jane were GREAT.

• Paid Members

I've been taking advantage of ITV4s James Bondathon. Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, and Octopussy.

Considering most people think of Moonraker as a bit naff, up until the dated space sequences, it's actually pretty good. Octopussy seems to take a big step toward gimmickry and the "one liners" becoming so important within action scenes.

Back before CGI and bluescreening became so widespread, stuntmen did some proper exciting stuff, and the 70s/80s Bond films have no end of brilliant stunt sequences. Big falls, car jumps, and marvellous chases on skis. Even acknowledging the iffy rear projection shots, the long shots of two guys having a punch up on top of a cable car are awesome.

I was also surprised at how much side-boob there is in Moonraker.

Trick R Treat

Was going to go see Saw 3D but because of the weather decided to stay in the house but still having a lust for some horror I cracked this out. Its an anthology movie, 4 short stories linked together my a mysterious 5th story. Similar in style to Creepshow of the ever excellent Amicus style movies.

Its Halloween night and theres some killings going on, monsters, vampires, werewolfs, mummies, psychos and strange neibours. From the Urban Myths of a school bus taking a plumet down a quarry, to a vampire killing his victims in plain sight and noone caring, to the people who think halloween is just a load of tosh, theres plenty of cliches to get by on.

I grew up on these sort of films, slight twists in the tails of each and enough nods to the classics as you can get, so i really enjoyed it. The wife on the other hand had a different view, boring, predictable and plain! She left about half way through and decided that sleep was better entertainment.

So If you like these sort of `tales from the crypt` movies then fire away, enough to make you smile, but if your into your harder horror then there probably wont be enough to keep you here after the opening story!