DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I thought it Super 8 was ok, but I felt a bit let down after the rave reviews it was receiving. It was basically

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Cloverfield with kids

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

the kid were less annoying than the adults in cloverfield though

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

the kid were less annoying than the adults in cloverfield though

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Oh I definitely agree with that, but the creature was just rubbish. It caused a bit of a fuss, and then just flew away.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Oh I definitely agree with that, but the creature was just rubbish. It caused a bit of a fuss, and then just flew away.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Better or worse than the cloverfield monster? i think better and he was just collecting supplies to go home and only attacked people who got in his way. he wasnt treated well under captivity and was understandebly pissed off. although why he took alice.??? food maybe?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by iamtheman

In the original ending Ozymandias hires a special effects company to build a giant space squid to blame the destruction of New York on, stopping the potential war between Russia and the USA in a 'We must band together as people of earth to stop the giant space squid' type of way.

I've forgotten what he does in the film, a nuke?

• Paid Members

Better or worse than the cloverfield monster? i think better and he was just collecting supplies to go home and only attacked people who got in his way. he wasnt treated well under captivity and was understandebly pissed off. although why he took alice.??? food maybe?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

For me it was a bit worse. It was just a looter from outer space (fitting with whats going on at the moment!).

The first half of the film was great, purely because of the suspense of it all, but then when the motive of it was revealed, it felt a bit of a let down.

Clovie just wanted to fuck things up. Creature fucking things up > Oversized ET who just wanted to go home.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
I've forgotten what he does in the film, a nuke?

A kind of nuke - mimics Dr. Manhattan's energy signature to frame him and set him up as an enemy of humanity for them to fight against.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

For me it was a bit worse. It was just a looter from outer space (fitting with whats going on at the moment!).

The first half of the film was great, purely because of the suspense of it all, but then when the motive of it was revealed, it felt a bit of a let down.

Clovie just wanted to fuck things up. Creature fucking things up > Oversized ET who just wanted to go home.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

well its a different story to cloverfield then. once the confusion wears off and the monster's true motives are revelead the kids realise it and joe tries to reason with him and succeeds. i'll admit the rushed pace of the ending made it lesser the eventual impact(film could have done with being a bit longer)but i enjoyed it.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

enjoyed Super 8, kinda felt like a sci-fi Goonies. The mystery part of the buildup to the movie was a bit of a letdown because it kind of ended up being exactly what i expected but i'm a fan of this kind of thing and i thought it was great. All the kids were awesome, movies like this pretty much rests on whether we care about the kids and i thought Super 8 nailed (as did the Goonies, as did Stand By Me etc.). Nice to go see a summer movie that wasn't a superhero flick too. A fun 2 hours at the flicks, and with this kind of movie that's what you hope for.

Super 8

BOOM!!! thats pretty much the film in a nutshell.

I grew up with kids adventure film, it was a group of kids (and a dog) who witnessed a bank robbery then hunted down the robber and brought the police. This was just a group of kids (and a dog that ran away) who witness an alien then hunt down the alien and bring the army.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

rubbish!

I watched Limitless the other night and found myself as equally pleased with the film as i was disappointed. I have this annoying habit of judging films based on what they could have been compared to what they were. Whilst the film was great fun and i'd have enjoyed it a lot more had i not built my expectations up. I just felt there were missed opportunities with the plot execution and especially so with De Niro's character. Still taken for what it is it was definitely worth the watch.

In Bruges and Harry Brown were the other two films i've seen lately and even though i liked In Bruges the first time i watched it a couple of years ago I didn't really realise how good Colin Farrell's acting is in that film. Yeah, everyone knows it's extremely quotable but it kind of made me think that Farrell has prety much wasted a lot of his career on being the cool good looking guy when he pulls off unhinged simpleton so well. I got Harry Brown on Friday and after all thats happened since it's relevance is uncanny. It's possibly Caine's most interesting role and he owns the film but you have to give Plan B/Ben Drew his due, he makes a terrific and realistic bad guy.

Going to watch Super 8 tonight and expecting it to be The Goonies meets Monster Squad meets E.T mixed together in a big Spielbergian pot and served on a plate of childhood reminiscence, im not going to be disappointed right?

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
Going to watch Super 8 tonight and expecting it to be The Goonies meets Monster Squad meets E.T mixed together in a big Spielbergian pot and served on a plate of childhood reminiscence, im not going to be disappointed right?

pretty much

• Paid Members
I watched Limitless the other night and found myself as equally pleased with the film as i was disappointed. I have this annoying habit of judging films based on what they could have been compared to what they were. Whilst the film was great fun and i'd have enjoyed it a lot more had i not built my expectations up. I just felt there were missed opportunities with the plot execution and especially so with De Niro's character. Still taken for what it is it was definitely worth the watch.

definately lacking in De Niro. The ending was flat too.

definately lacking in De Niro. The ending was flat too.

Yeah I mentioned a few pages back about lack of De Niro, he was just there for a bit, then turned up again at the end. I'm glad the ending stayed like that after watching the alternate ending though!