DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
The world didn't need a Scream 2 or 3 let alone Scream 4. It barely needed the first one. Shitty arsed repetitive and dull franchise.

Horror comedy isn't an easy genre to pull off though, in all fairness, and when you think about it there really haven't been THAT many examples down the years of films that have successfully pulled it off. Mostly they end up managing to do neither the comedy nor the horror very successfully. I've even soured to Shaun Of The Dead over the last couple of years.

I actually re-watched the original Fright Night last night after seeing the screen shots for the remake and have to say it still stands up as a great film. There seemed to be a slew of these knowing horror films in the mid 80's (Monster Squad, Fright Night, The Lost boys) although people seem to think that the original Scream invented the genre. Chris Sarandon plays a great smug bastard (see also The Princess Bride) Am thinking about watching its sequel tonight but i remember it being shit

• Paid Members

Fright Night was one of the films I was thinking of. It's fantastic but actually I remember the sequel being really good. Chris Sarandon's career should never have nose-dived the way it did.

The thing about Fright Night is that it is, basically, a horror film but they have a few tongue-in-cheek moments that make it not take itself too seriously. I think that's always the best way to go with these things. The Fearless Vampire Killers is also a great example of this.

• Paid Members
Fright Night was one of the films I was thinking of. It's fantastic but actually I remember the sequel being really good. Chris Sarandon's career should never have nose-dived the way it did.

The thing about Fright Night is that it is, basically, a horror film but they have a few tongue-in-cheek moments that make it not take itself too seriously. I think that's always the best way to go with these things. The Fearless Vampire Killers is also a great example of this.

I was actually going to mention that in my earlier post, The Jewish vampire scene in particular and that was back in the mid 60s. What happened to Saradon to cause the career nose dive, was there a major turkey or was he just one of those guys that just never hit the big time.

• Paid Members

I was actually going to mention that in my earlier post, The Jewish vampire scene in particular and that was back in the mid 60s. What happened to Saradon to cause the career nose dive, was there a major turkey or was he just one of those guys that just never hit the big time.

Not sure, really. His first film was Dog Day Afternoon, which is some film to follow up with. It all seemed to go south after doing Child's Play but there do not seem to be any really outstanding failures that would cause such a nose dive. It just happens to some people, I guess.

• Paid Members
He's great in The Princess Bride and he's the (non-singing I think) voice of Jack Skellington. He may have had a fairly humdrum career but he's played some good roles.

Just saw that having a looksie at IMDB, never knew about the Jack Skellington thing (as well as all the Kingdom hearts games) He seems to have been in straight to DVD and TV hell since :(

I just got back from Scream 4, I thought it was trash but watchable trash. I wasn't expecting anything great but I enjoyed it in a stupid way, some pretty amusing bits. As Seven says, there was no tension really, but it was still better than Scream 3. I'd imagine this will go down well at about 4am after a party is winding down and people want to chuck something on for a laugh. Also, even with a ridiculous hairstyle.... Hayden Panettiere :love:

• Paid Members
(Monster Squad)

Havent seen that in years, always thought of uit as the Goonies meets a Horror Film, Enjoyable nonetheless

It just stopped showing up on TV about 10 years ago. Its been re-released on DVD / Blu Ray as an anniversary edition a few years ago and has been turning up on Sky recently. Can't wait to see what Shane Black manages to do with Ironman 3

• Paid Members

Christ, he's not on the comic book shite now, is he? He should be trying to get AWOL developed into a full length film instead of pissing around with Ironman.

Loki's Random Film Fact: the kid from Fright Night is Gary in Justified, Raylan's ex-wife's slightly wet husband.

• Paid Members
Christ, he's not on the comic book shite now, is he? He should be trying to get AWOL developed into a full length film instead of pissing around with Ironman.

Hes co-writing/Directing it I should imagine that when Ironman makes silly money, which it will do no matter how good a job he does they let him make whatever he wants. The guy knows how to write a good action flick so im looking forward to what he comes up with