DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

saw Knight and Day on saturday, i thought it was good plenty of action, some parts quite funny i thought. no the best acting but a good film.

Yep.

The strangest thing I found was Cruise trying to be funny! Just doesn`t sit right at all. His smile is aquard and he just looks constipated. Diaz seems to out shine him in this film which again seems very strange. The musical score doesn`t suit some of the scenes.

Some of the action is great. The Bull running is an awsome set up but the film just doesnt seem to gel together. Almost as if they had the concept for a good story, action scenes and characters but all from different movies, put them all into one movie and they just dont combine right.

Worth a watch but leaves you feeling quite strange

• Moderators
saw Knight and Day on saturday, i thought it was good plenty of action, some parts quite funny i thought. no the best acting but a good film.

Yep.

The strangest thing I found was Cruise trying to be funny! Just doesn`t sit right at all. His smile is aquard and he just looks constipated. Diaz seems to out shine him in this film which again seems very strange. The musical score doesn`t suit some of the scenes.

That is an amazing typo of 'awkward'. Seriously impressive.

Anyway.. that shouldn't be strange, it should be expected, because she's a consistently better actor than he is.

His smile is aquard and he just looks constipated. Diaz seems to out shine him in this film which again seems very strange. The musical score doesn`t suit some of the scenes.

That is an amazing typo of 'awkward'. Seriously impressive.

Anyway.. that shouldn't be strange, it should be expected, because she's a consistently better actor than he is.

:) I`m glad someone almost seen the pun there. was supposed to represent the fact that not only is it awkward but its so awkward that it makes the word awkward seem awkward.

And most folk are better actors than Cruise but in a motion picture starring Cruise he`s normally the headline star. I was suprised Diaz had so much in the film considering he was there. Made for a strange viewing atmosphere.

• Paid Members

On Saturday, me and the good lady went to watch the A-Team, however it was full apart from front row seats.

"Fuck that" we said, and chose Knight and Day.

We entered the viewing room expecting to be disappointed by the film choice we made. However, we were pleasantly suprised and enjoyed the film greatly. Quirky fun/action/romance spliced film worked well as an easy viewing type of film.

4 stars

• Moderators

I watched A Team at the weekend. I haven't seen Knight and Day, but I still reckon A Team was better. It delivered everything it needed to. Good action, fun stunts and ideas, some good humour, good cast and it didn't devote to much time to the compulsory but unneccesary romantic subplot.

10 thumbs up.

• Paid Members

Yesterday evening, me and the good lady went to watch the A-Team. It was not full up.

"That's good" we said, and chose our seats.

The film was bloody good fun however I think I may have built it up in my head too much. possibly due to my mood from work or the "Ben & Jerry's" incident (they had no Cherry Garcia, nor did they have a ice cream bar, my mistake but still...) but I did not enjoy it as much as Knight and Day. Call me a heathen.

3.5 stars

I watched Inception last night. Is it still too new? Well, just in case.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Can't bear to say it, but I really didn't enjoy it. I thought it was a fantastic idea that looked like it would really work in the opening 15/20 minutes, but I genuinely didn't feel entertained by it as soon as the central plot took shape. It didn't detract from some excellent individual performances by some (not all) of the cast, but really felt the whole thing was rather mishandled. The action sequences (particularly the snow ones) felt repetitive and anticlimatic, and at the halfway point I found myself losing interest in the central plot and any sort of character resolution. I also felt like I did about The Matrix (and still do now) - there became an over-reliance in the stunning visuals, rather than using them just to improve a scene or two.

I'll have to watch this again in a few years time to see if I've changed my mind, but needless to say I was gutted to not enjoy it. I'd been really looking forward to it too.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Can't bear to say it, but I really didn't enjoy it. I thought it was a fantastic idea that looked like it would really work in the opening 15/20 minutes, but I genuinely didn't feel entertained by it as soon as the central plot took shape. It didn't detract from some excellent individual performances by some (not all) of the cast, but really felt the whole thing was rather mishandled. The action sequences (particularly the snow ones) felt repetitive and anticlimatic, and at the halfway point I found myself losing interest in the central plot and any sort of character resolution. I also felt like I did about The Matrix (and still do now) - there became an over-reliance in the stunning visuals, rather than using them just to improve a scene or two.

I'll have to watch this again in a few years time to see if I've changed my mind, but needless to say I was gutted to not enjoy it. I'd been really looking forward to it too.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I was the opposite. I came out of that film thinking 'I'm getting this on blu ray when it comes out'. Film of the year so far for me. But I can see how its a film that not all tastes will enjoy.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I was the opposite. I came out of that film thinking 'I'm getting this on blu ray when it comes out'. Film of the year so far for me. But I can see how its a film that not all tastes will enjoy.

See, I disagree, and I still can't work out how I didn't enjoy it. It really did come across as for absolutely everybody, and I've heard nothing but awesome. I feel completely in the wrong for criticising it, but just unable to give it a free pass. I've also been called "Blind" and "a cunt" by two other people today for having this opinion.

• Paid Members

Watched Kevin Smiths latest film Cop Out this morning on Blu Ray. Seeing as everything I'd heard about it had been massively negative and the trailer made it look dire. I was pleasantly suprise at how much fun it was. Its a tremendous throw back to early 90s buddy cop action movies. It would have been better if Smith had written it himself in my view but some of the comedy hits home.

Edited by DEF

Can anyone recommend any other 'end of the world'/'terrorist attack' type films that are good but less well known?

Last Night is underrated and not very well known, I think it went straight to video over here.

Just finished watching Last Night its depressing as hell but gives you a fresh lease for life.

Patrick is a very grey man. But with the earth only having 4 hours till its destroyed it doesnt make much difference. So we follow Patrick through his last final hours of life and how other characters interweave together each having an influence over the other.

I`m suprised this hasn`t done better than it has. Its released by Lionsgate movies, the guys that do the Saw films and horror stuff so a rerelease I believe would actually do quite well. Its a really good movie if you like character development and understanding. Very dark humour but it works really well. Starts off very slowly, introduces a character here and there but as it moves foward, pretty slowely but enough to keep you interested, you begin to understand that each person has their own end of the world outlook and each connect with each other in some way.

Its pretty doom and gloom all over but by the end I had a smile on my face and realised i`d enjoyed it alot more than I thought I would.

Certainly worth a watch.

Cheers Gladstone