General politics discussion thread

David

Positive: Corporation tax down.

I'm no tax expert but I found this blog on corporation tax interesting.

http://treasureislands.org/cutting-corpora...quack-medicine/

As Budget Day approaches the UK Chancellor is vowing to press ahead with cuts in the UK corporate tax rate and to create new loopholes for corporations using offshore tax havens. The 2010 budget announced four annual drops in the main rate of corporation tax from 28 percent in 2010 to 24 percent in 2014, with the stated aim of making Britain more

• Paid Members
I can't believe he is cutting the 50p top rate tax and justifying it by saying it wasn't raising enough as too many people were avoiding it. Er, maybe you could try to stop them avoiding it rather than just scrapping it? It is clearer than ever that it is a government by the rich, for the rich.

The poorest paid will be better off too, especially next April when the personal allowance goes up by

In the budget Osborne made provision for ultra fast broadband to be introduced in Britain'as major cities. Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and all of the capitals. Glasgow was not included on the list. I repeat, the third biggest city in the UK was not included. This a PR dream for the SNP but a PR disaster for the Tories. Saying that however the Tories are obviously hated here anyway but they've really drooped the ball in supplying the SNP's with ammunition.

• Paid Members
I can't believe he is cutting the 50p top rate tax and justifying it by saying it wasn't raising enough as too many people were avoiding it. Er, maybe you could try to stop them avoiding it rather than just scrapping it? It is clearer than ever that it is a government by the rich, for the rich.

The poorest paid will be better off too, especially next April when the personal allowance goes up by

I like that he gave tax dodgers a whole year before his zero tolerance approach comes into force. I mean, I can't imagine a way that rich people with good accountants could spend the intervening twelve months. It certainly won't involve developing spectacularly obscure and impenetrable arrangements for their income that prevents HMRC even knowing the money exists, never mind tracing it, calculating the tax due on it and relentlessly prosecuting the thieving cunts who've hidden it.

Quite seriously, though, if you're going to have a general anti-avoidance rule, you need to back it up with serious powers. Make tax evasion punishable by unlimited fines and lengthy custodial sentences. Make the directors of companies that evade tax jointly and severally liable not only for the tax but also the unlimited fines. Then permanently ban all the directors from holding any directorship ever again and throw them in jail too. And bury Dave Hartnett in a pile of his own shit, since that's the best he deserves.

Agree with pretty much everything Kenny's said there. It's also laughable that the drop from 50% seems to be being spun as an incentive to stop these people avoiding tax. As if people (tax avoiders) who are by definition venal, avaricious pigs who don't think there's such a thing as being 'rich enough' are going to suddenly develop a social conscience and sense of civic responsibility over a measly 5% and start paying their dues.

Far be it for me to defend the super-rich, but if I earned, say, 150,000 a year and could spend 3 grand of it to pay someone to find legal ways of saving me 20 grand, I'd probably do it too.

It's not like the HMRC don't know where the loopholes are. The "employing yourself and only paying corporation tax" is wide enough to sail the Titanic through. Don't blame people for reducing their individual tax burden, blame the government for not closing the loopholes!

• Paid Members

I was going to say the hidden surprise is that half of all pensioners will be getting a tax rise.

Turns out the real hidden surprise is that Gregg's pasties are going to be hit with VAT for the first time.

I was going to say the hidden surprise is that half of all pensioners will be getting a tax rise.

Turns out the real hidden surprise is that Gregg's pasties are going to be hit with VAT for the first time.

Some of my clients are going to be absolutely fuming between this and the rising tobacco costs.